• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
050828-katrina-082.jpg

The after picture, and the Katrina is no where close to hitting.

Moondance said:
There are at least two that suffered substantial concrete displacement, some is foundation, other are driveways formerly resting on dune/sand support. After Dennis, there was no longer any support and/or the force of the water displaced the concrete slabs. In one home (big blue new), there was no rebar in the concrete carport and it has two gaping holes about 15' diameter.

Not sure why the debris was not removed but clearly it should NOT be on the beach, now or ever !!

Dammit. :bang: :bang: :pissed:
FYI, this is a picture of one of the examples of concrete failure that I referred to. I'm not suggesting this owner is responsible for the concrete pile on the beach, but it will give a sense of scope of damage and lingering effects of Dennis.

Note SJ's image #6 on the below link:
http://www.sowal.com/bb/gallery/browseimages.php?do=browseimages&c=5&userid=216&page=2
The surf can be clearly seen in the house on the right where the carport used to be. There is another huge hole where the carport on the other side failed as well. Thanks, SJ.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
We were checking out the waves at about 6 p.m. from the steps of our walkover in Seacrest (not the development). The waves were already coming to the steps and hitting the dunes.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
We were checking out the waves at about 6 p.m. from the steps of our walkover in Seacrest (not the development). The waves were already coming to the steps and hitting the dunes.

I am afraid of what we will see tomorrow. But feeling lucky again.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
kurt said:
I am afraid of what we will see tomorrow. But feeling lucky again.

The calm of Kurt will see us through!!!

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
We should all keep things in perspective. We lose steps to our beaches, others lose everything they have. After this, the board will go crazy talking about the "market," while others will be talking about where to go, what to do, where to live, where to go to work. I'm having a hard time for "poor me's" from South Walton this time.

A five foot storm surge in the Bay could put water in my home. But the misery of others over the next two days will pale in comparison to my own.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I hope everyone with rentals in SoWal will reduce their prices, or perhaps wave the rental fees for people from New Orleans and surrounding areas who need shelter. We could be great neighbors to the states to our west. Please at least consider doing this. Please, these folks need our help.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
WU - You are so correct - we do need to put this in perspective - I was so happy to see my son and his girlfriend get home safe and sound today after there visit down there- that our properties don't even seem to matter. During Ivan and Dennis I kept thinking about our material things - this time all I could think about was getting them home safe and sound. My heart goes out to all the people in NOLA.