• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Maybe someone can help me out. Where is the South Walton Utility Company building? What is it close to, not the address.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I'll ask here as well. What is the building in close proximity to?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Maybe someone can help me out. Where is the South Walton Utility Company building? What is it close to, not the address.

Hi, Andy A., the South Walton Utility buildng is next to the Miramar Beach Post Office and across the street from Resurrection Catholic Church. This is SWU's new location, they used to be on Scenic Gulf Drive.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
If you are unable to attend and have computer access you can view the event live by webcast beggining at 6:00pm tomorrow night.

This service is being provided by Ray with NeighborVision and the WCTA.

To view the live webcast paste the following link into your browser.

http://www.neighborvision.com/live

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Ressurection Catholic Church near the sewer treatment plant in Miramar. If you pass the Ace Hardware on 98 you have gone to far. Or go down Scenic Gulf Dr and turn right at Embassy Suites

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Thanks loads, miznotebook. See you at the meeting.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
About 60 people gathered Tuesday night for an informational meeting on the proposal to build a second two-lane bridge on U.S. 331 over Choctawhatchee Bay.

Several county officials laid out the proposed plans and possible funding mechanisms for the bridge to a heated, but respectful crowd at the South Walton Utility Company building.

Miramar Beach resident Mike Flint organized the meeting in advance of Tuesday’s county commissoin vote on whether or not to hold a sales tax referndum to pay for the bridge.

The Department of Transportation has said it will provide $102 million to fund the bridge if voters approve a sales tax increase to fund $75 million or if county commissioners agree to allow the bridge to be tolled to raise additonal funds. They said they need a commitment by May.

If the county chooses neither option, the bridge will not be built now.

“The DOT said ‘Walton County, if you don’t bring $75 million to the table we’re going to redirect these dollars to another part of the state,’” he said.

In December, DOT officials said at a county commission meeting that building a second two-lane bridge would put the county in a better position to compete for funding to widen 331 to I-10.

Many in the crowd expressed distrust of DOT officials. They say transportation officials have been promising for years to four-lane the road that stretches from U.S. Highway 98 to the Alabama state line and they questioned whether the DOT would really commit to widening the rest of the project if the county comes up with funding for the bridge.

Kisela noted that DOT has allocated funding for widening 331 from the bridge north to State Road 20 and that some sections from SR-20 north to I-10 have already been funded or are in planning stages.

“I think 331 is going to be funded in the next three to five years with or without the bridge, that’s my opinion,” he said.

Kitty Whitney, president of the Walton County Chamber and one of the invited speakers at the meeting, said she has been on the phone with DOT several times trying to get them to make a solid comittment to four-laning 331.

Some questioned whether the bridge was necessary at all, especially without four-laning the rest of the highway.

“It could be a bridge to nowhere,” one person said.

Okaloosa Sheriff’s Capt. Joe Preston said the county has the second-slowest evacuation time in the state and that although he could not provide specific numbers of how much the rate would be improved with a new bridge, “common sense would lead us to believe it would have some kind of benefit.”

Bob Hudson, executive director of the Walton County Taxpayers Association, said he was unable to find evidence of another county where expanding a bridge helped reduce evacuation times.

He also said estimates state officials have made were based on worst case scenarios.

Preston cautioned against that line of questioning.

“When you are dealing with pubic safety situations, you have to be very careful about playing the odds,” Preston said.

If commissioners approve a referendum Tuesday they will have to choose whether to set it for a 1 cent, 3/4 cent or 1/2 cent sales tax increase.

Bill Imfeld, finance director for Walton County, said he spoke with several banks and bond agencies and found they were interested in in the project. He said the banks even offered lower interest rates to Walton County then what they offered for the midbay bridge becasue the sales tax funds are a more stable revenue stream than tolls.

Kisela said sales tax revenue has been about the same for the last five years, including during the economic slump after the oil spill.

At 1 percent, banks estimated the loan would be paid off in 10 years, 15 for the ¾ cent and 25 for the ½ cent.

Bond agencies offered 25, 20 and 12 year options.

If the commissoiners do not decide to hold a sales tax referendum, or if the voters do not approve it, the commissoiners will have to decide whether or not they want to support a toll on the road.

The toll would be overseen by the DOT through Florida’s Turnpike Association.

At least one person at the meeting noted that if the county approved the toll local governmet would not have any control over increasing toll rates or how long the road is tolled.

The MidBay bridge in Destin started at a $2 toll and has since been raised to $3.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Walton County - The debate over a proposal to pay for a new $75 million bridge on highway 331, continued Thursday night in Walton County. Dozens of residents showed-up for an information meeting to talk about a new 1 cent sales tax to raise the money.

The state Department of Transportation is offering Walton County $177 million to widen highway 331 from highway 98 to interstate-10, but there's a catch. The county has to come-up with about $75 million in matching funding.

County commissioners have been trying to widen 331 for years. It's the only north-south route through the county, and would greatly improve hurricane evacuation times. The commission is pushing a 1% sale tax to raise the money, which would pay for the new bridge over Choctawhatchee Bay.

They say it's a better option than charging a $2 toll, because they can pay off the debt in less time, and tourist will help pay 57% of the cost. Commissioners want to schedule a referendum vote for April 24th, giving voters the power to approve or reject the tax proposal.

But some residents have already made up their minds. They say Walton County already has some of the highest tax rates in the state. They say another tax could hurt tourism. Those still undecided heard a lot of information tonight to consider before voting.

"We have inadequate lanes to evacuate people from South Walton. In the summer time and a lot of visitors and all the people that live here not having a quick evacuation might leave people stranded on the road when the storm hits."

"If somebody wants to go out here and borrow $75 million to build this bridge then hey go to it buddy, because I’m not responsible for it."

Commissions are scheduled next week to decide if the issue will go to a vote. The county has until the end of May to decide how to raise the money, or the state will give the $177 million to other road projects.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The amount the State and Federal government is kicking in all the bridge is $177 million, NOT $102 million. The State is telling us they need a $75 million match. I believe there were well over 80 folks at this meeting just based on the number of chairs that were in the room that were filled. The toll option, which in my opinion would go on forever is a lifetime payment, the 1% tax is shorter, max of 10 years if these numbers are correct. The only tol bridge I know for a fact that is no longer tolled is the Navarre Beach bridge which the county took over from the State, there may be others but I know this one. Man who was looking at buying $1500 dollar lawn mower would pay an extra $15 in sales tax, depending on where you live, what you drive and the amount of time shopping you may end up paying more in time and fuel to avoid paying the $15 tax. The lady who complains her summer renters will blow a gasket because the TDC tax and sales tax, think Sandestin, the Village has an additional tax they charge their customers. I am unsure whether that tax goes throughout the whole property but they seem to stay busy. Walton County is different, we are not over built like the Counties to the east and west of us, we have attractions that draw folks here. I understand folks resistance to a tax, but its cheaper in the long run for a tax vs a toll and beats not having a bridge. This is just my opinion.