• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SHELLY said:
Anyone whose been to the UK and have seen their "idea" of a sandwich will know this place ain't gonna make it. For those who haven't been across the pond, a British sandwich is essentially a piece of bread, a thin pink line (which is 1 thin slice of ham), salad (i.e. lettuce), a schmeer of butter, and another piece of bread. :blink:

Give me some goomba from NY who REALLY knows their way around a sandwich--now you're talkin'!! :clap_1:
AMEN! Our special today is a Bland Sandwich with Chips (which really means fries)

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Walton Sun:
BY PASHA CARROLL SUN REPORTER

While South Walton is still a hot spot for real estate, the market seems to be softening ever so slightly.
Homes are taking a few weeks longer to sell and prices, still astronomically high compared to undiscovered South Walton, have leveled and are hovering.
?What we saw last year was really amazing, I doubt it will happen again,? local Realtor Associate Bobby Johnson said. ?It overshot itself. Now it is just backtracking and simply readjusting.?
?We defiantly inflated our prices on this peninsula, because we could,? local real estate developer John King said.
Just because prices have stabilized does not mean the bubble has burst, as national reports have eluded. It just means Realtors will have to work a little harder, Johnson said.
?This is the real deal. We made crazy money, now we just have to work for it,? Johnson said.
?We are making hay while the sun shines,? King said.
And the sun is still shining brightly over South Walton. Only now a few clouds might offer minutes of shade.
?When people talk about slowing down, they are talking about sales time,? King said. ?It used to take 30 days to sell, now it might take 90 days.?
?Typically it takes six months to sell a home,? Johnson said. ?Realtors were doing it in hours. We got a little spoiled.?
Johnson does not think however, that County Road 30A will ever see a decrease in sales. If anything he says the road will become more elite.
?I believe in 30A. That?s what it is all about,? Johnson said.
He said he continuously sees celebrities enjoying 30A?s beauty. King said for the 240 lots he has platted and under construction, there are still 500 people on the waiting list.
With the market a little slower, Johnson hopes life will return to normal and the South Walton real estate market will be more realistic.
?If it kept up like that, I couldn?t have kept up,? Johnson said. ?The stress level was too much.?
He said now selling real estate will be more like it was when he got in the business four years ago, hard work and the craft of handling an ever changing market.
?Now we can get back to living a normal life,? Johnson said.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
:lolabove: SoWal Sally's interpretation of the above article:

We have no idea what's going on and we're too busy counting our money to care.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
hi,
I am impressed by such great a great intelligent discussion: very interesting.
Based on my observations-I do not claim any expertise-I would rather be a buyer than a seller right now.
In comparison to other years the real esazte market seems to be taking a breather and if someone has to sell for what ever reason a buyer maybe able to get a "bargain price".
I won't worry about a bubble burst here until the California market slows which it isn' yet.

Based on my travels 30a offers the best coastal area south of New England and east of california/oregon. where else can you get high elevation property with beautiful lakes and forests and park land.
I would not want to buy or own in such cookie cutter highrise areas such as PCB or Destin which are not as unique as 30A.

If I was buying here I would buy vacant lots on 30A in walking distance of the beach( except possibly some
St. Joe over priced property a mile from the beach) with no build out time. Why no build out time?-so that if skier happens to be right my overhead would be minimal. The risk of not buying on 30a now to take advantage of some bargains maybe the greater risk if you want to retire and live here sometime.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Some advice needed:

To build a permanant house (for a family with small children), but wanting to make the best investment possible would you

a) buy a 75x142 on 30A within walking distance to beach (small yard, smallish house (perhaps w/ a gulf view), no amenities but a backyard pool and beach)

or

b) buy a much larger lot for the same price at Wild Heron (large yard, 4000 to 5000 sq. ft. house, golf course, tennis, lake access, etc. but it is Bay County and you have to take a shuttle to the beach).

Large houses at Wild Heron and mid-sized houses on non-development streets of eastern 30A are selling for same price per square foot.

Just wondering what y'all thought. Thanks

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
Some advice needed:

To build a permanant house (for a family with small children), but wanting to make the best investment possible would you

a) buy a 75x142 on 30A within walking distance to beach (small yard, smallish house (perhaps w/ a gulf view), no amenities but a backyard pool and beach)

or

b) buy a much larger lot for the same price at Wild Heron (large yard, 4000 to 5000 sq. ft. house, golf course, tennis, lake access, etc. but it is Bay County and you have to take a shuttle to the beach).

Large houses at Wild Heron and mid-sized houses on non-development streets of eastern 30A are selling for same price per square foot.

Just wondering what y'all thought. Thanks

The amenities and type of lifestyle are quite different so go where you are more comfortable. The former would make a much better rental if you ever want to do that.

Some people would give anything to be able to walk to the beach or have a view. The market will always be strong for that.

As far as the actual appreciation, that's up in the air. I believe Wild Heron will be very exclusive and hard to buy in one day when it gets filled up with rich retirees and young professionals.

Last edited:

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
If it is a primary residence for a family with young children, don't you have to take into account differences in school districts and proximity to other children for after school and weekend fun? How many young families will you find at Wild Heron?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The flip side is that if you've got small children do you want to be living next to a short term rental where the crowd may get a bit rowdy from time to time.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ecopal said:
The risk of not buying on 30a now to take advantage of some bargains maybe the greater risk if you want to retire and live here sometime.
Interesting point of view. :clap_1: If looking to hold for the long term, I could not agree more. Well said.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
STL Don said:
If it is a primary residence for a family with young children, don't you have to take into account differences in school districts and proximity to other children for after school and weekend fun? How many young families will you find at Wild Heron?

Not many young families at Wild Heron or any part of 30A for that matter--we're all pretty scattered around. We already live in a rental community and SOME renters can be annoying and loud. I'm just wondering, all other things being equal, what y'all think the better long-term investment would be.