• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
I reviewed the TRIM statement and the assessed value for County and Other taxing districts increased by 10%. The assessed value for School taxing increased by a whopping 75%.
Why would assessed value for school taxes be different? Is this something that I can contest?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I reviewed the TRIM statement and the assessed value for County and Other taxing districts increased by 10%. The assessed value for School taxing increased by a whopping 75%.
Why would assessed value for school taxes be different? Is this something that I can contest?

That's right education has no cap. You can request a reassessment of your property. They'll warn you though sometimes it goes higher.

springfield4

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2007
I don't want to be up in your business, but would be interested in the explanation. Thanks
Bob - I just spoke with the Property Appraiser's office and their explanation is that in the year that you apply for a homestead exemption the assessed value goes to the market value. There is no assessment reduction in that year. Of course, going forward the 3% limit per year then applies.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
postcard?

Once you get homestead you'll occasionally receive a postcard from the property appraiser, you only return the card if you're no longer eligible for homestead, but some people think they have to to maintain homestead.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob - I just spoke with the Property Appraiser's office and their explanation is that in the year that you apply for a homestead exemption the assessed value goes to the market value. There is no assessment reduction in that year. Of course, going forward the 3% limit per year then applies.
Understood thank you