• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Canopy on the beach

New posts
I've said this before, but in all my years of coming to the beach, it never occurred to me that it was OK for me to leave my stuff on the beach overnight. I never asked anyone, I didn't look up any laws, it just seemed obvious to me--the day's over, take your stuff in. Granted, there were times it was near sunset when I'd drag myself back down there after going in for the day, but I still did it. Sowal visitors with entitled attitudes like Fryday give me the itch to go after-dark beach shopping.
 
In civilized society we do not get to pick and choose which laws we obey based on what is convenient for us and not what is good for everyone, turtles included.

To do so would be chaos.
 
Clearly some of you value turtles over tourist. Well I have never seen a turtle give anyone a job, but, then I have not seen everything. I just do not understand why leaving canopies up overnight has been okay for years, but now all of a sudden it is not.

As for the enviormentalist comment, I did not think it was a slur or something that would be considered an insult by people who claim to want to keep the beaches pristine and in their natural condition. It certainly is not lazy, but I in no way meant to offend.

As I stated, I have already been down for my week, sorry to say. I loved every minute of it. I do not plan to let this stop me from coming and I will be back next year.

It's not just about turtles, Einstein. It's about SAFETY. Any one of 100 different things could happen to your tent overnight, and none of them are good. Suppose someone is walking on the beach on a dark, moonless night and breaks their foot on one of your stakes? Suppose a storm comes up and turns one of your poles into a javelin-like projectile?

Wake up.
 
The reason folks leave these canopies up for seven days is because they are generally a pain in the butt to deal with. After a day of blazing sun and fifteen beers, who wants to try to wrestle a contraption like that?

Take a couple umbrellas, leave that tent at home, and the problem is solved.
 
The reason folks leave these canopies up for seven days is because they are generally a pain in the butt to deal with. After a day of blazing sun and fifteen beers, who wants to try to wrestle a contraption like that?

Take a couple umbrellas, leave that tent at home, and the problem is solved.

Only 15?:biggrin:
 

Which photo gives you that "I need to be in Sowal right now" feeling?

This
p7040166_sm.jpg

or this
p7060165_sm.jpg


Dang I wish I was there. :wub:
 
I'll take photo #2, thank you very much.
Wonder who's canopy that is....:idontno:
 
It's not just about turtles, Einstein. It's about SAFETY. Any one of 100 different things could happen to your tent overnight, and none of them are good. Suppose someone is walking on the beach on a dark, moonless night and breaks their foot on one of your stakes? Suppose a storm comes up and turns one of your poles into a javelin-like projectile?

Wake up.

LOL! JB honey...you do get worked up! :biggrin:

The reason folks leave these canopies up for seven days is because they are generally a pain in the butt to deal with. After a day of blazing sun and fifteen beers, who wants to try to wrestle a contraption like that?

Take a couple umbrellas, leave that tent at home, and the problem is solved.


amateur :biggrin:


It's very simple....just take your stuff off the beach at the end of the day. That's all.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top