Cantina Laredo - Great Mexican Food

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by OnMackBayou, Jun 1, 2007.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Re: Why did Luna Del Mar close? It was always busy.

Rumor is that they didn't pay the rent. At one point there was also supposed to have been an immigration raid on the kitchen staff.

2. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Official story is that Luna del Mar's parent company in Texas went under.

3. Chickpea

Chickpea Beach Fanatic

We went for lunch yesterday with kids in tow and it was excellent all around -service, food, etc...we had no wait (we were there around 2pm) but I can imagine how packed this place will get for dinner - it is not that big.

We tried fajitas and quesadilla and enchilada and it was all delicious - am thrilled this place opened!

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

That was a news story, not a rumor. I recall the story saying that they paid all of the bills, except the rent, and wondered why they were evicted as tenants. I guess the parent company "going under" could cause one not to pay rent.

Anywho, it sounds like from all of the rave reviews of Cantina Laredo, that they will not have a problem paying rent for a while.

5. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Not sure about this story...they are still opening up Luna del Noche restaurants here in Dallas. :dunno: I had heard it was an immigration misstep.

6. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Another great meal at Cantina Laredo. Good margaritas, good food, good company. Everytime we turned around we saw someone we knew. Party atmosphere.

7. potatovixen

potatovixen Beach Fanatic

We ate here tonight, and it was fantastic. The service staff was very attentive, which was a surprise for how busy they were, but they managed not to be pushy. The guacamole prepared tableside was delicious. The entrees were also excellent, with good portion sizes. Enough to fill you up, with a little bit left over for lunch tomorrow. Our food reached the table exceptionally fast. We also managed to get a table right when we walked in... quite a feat as it was almost 7pm.

This is definitely worth checking out. I will most certainly go back.

8. jules33

jules33 Beach Comber

where is Cantina laredo located? thanks!

9. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Cantina Laredo is in the Grand Blvd development, which is on 98 in the Sandestin area. The Publix in Sandestin is part of Grand Blvd. Look for all the new construction.

10. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

I heard that Thursday is ladies' night, and margaritas are half-off.

11. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Immigration misstep would be an understatement. WCSO pulled up in the parking lot and knocked on the door (can't remember why); the staff - who lived in the restaurant - bailed out the windows and began running.

And if I remember correctly from 4+ years back, the owner said she'd go back to Dallas and come back with a new illegal crew.

12. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

... sweet 'tar, SN :wub:

13. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Luna Del Noche closed for a variety of reasons, including because their lease was suddenly canceled, the manager/owner was overextended running restaurants in far apart locations, and lack of experience with the ebb and flow of business in a tourist area.

Hispanic staff members were quite annoyed about the rumors that it closed because they were all "illegals" who were deported in an immigration raid. There was an incident (which happened months before it closed) where the police were called because of a fight, but if you think local businesses get shut down for hiring illegals you haven't been to a construction site lately.

14. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

This is true! We went on a Thursday and when the bartender mentioned that it was ladies' night, it was the icing on the cake.

15. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

From what I remember the hispanic workers were legal to work in Texas but not Florida. And they did close the restauarant for not paying rent..heard that from the horse's mouth.

16. GraysonDave

GraysonDave Beach Comber

Ate there last night, and let me add to the great reviews. Terrific atmosphere, good food, and the mango margarita was excellent ($8).

17. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

going tomm night with a bunch o' ladies. I will report on the wait, drink prices and food. can not wait....

18. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Good, you can come home and SD&C!:clap:

19. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Did we see you there? The food was good, atmosphere was great, service was excellent, and the Margaritas went down way too fast.

20. drsvelte

drsvelte Beach Fanatic

We were tired this evening, so rather than cook, decided to do the takee-outee at Cantina Laredo on the positive vibes from this board. I drove for pick-up at 7pm and what proved to be a good omen found the only parking spot directly in front of the entrance. The place was full and the bar was rockin'. People seemed to be having a very good time. We ordered beef fajitas and something called the Durango - chile relleno, and chicken and spinach enchiladas. We also order their "top shelf" guacamole. I brought it all home in two huge bags - portions are quite large and enuf for leftovers. The fajitas were good and I particularly liked the tortillas - not heavy or doughy. The guacamole was very good and a bit on the spicey side; chips were fresh and crisp. The only downside was the refried beans which seemed like they came from a can. Prices were most reasonable, perhaps even a bargain given their location (It will be interesting to see if Moe's survives). This is great for me, because now I can suck down a few margaritas and drive home without getting on 98:D

They have a brunch on Sundays with gratis Bloddy Marys, tequila flights, and other interesting temptations. A keeper.