• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I can vouch for the skeeters. Camping there means you are in your tent at sundown. The coons are as big as a Volkswagon and scavenge day and night. The Alligators also are much larger and meaner on the cape and surrounding areas. I have also seen a black bear up close that was bigger than my 4runner. The wild hogs will hunt you down and remove your privates with their tusks. Beware the wolf packs that like to shred and eat children.

beckster

Beach Comber
Jun 18, 2005
Hey, I got twin boys. I ain't skeert o' nothin'!!!!
Thanks for all the information. We've decided to go for it and do something different and enjoy nature. I'm waiting to hear back from the rental agency and make my booking today. We live in Houston, so driving to go somewhere for dinner doesn't effect us at all.
From the pics I've seen, the Cape looks beautiful!! Everytime we go to Shell Island I always think how great it would be to find a place that looks like that to stay. I believe we have. We are really glad to have found this little place that sounds so special.
Don't worry Aquatic, we'll be careful and appreciate your very informative post. The marine life tour you posted is perfect for the boys.
I'll be checking back here for more info. I appreciate the help!
Beckster

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
beckster said:
The marine life tour you posted is perfect for the boys.
Beckster

you will all get a blast out of it

make sure your tour guide shows you the seahorses and make sure the kids hold the cowrie shells!

there's cowrie shells and seahorses living in the our nw florida ocean? - yep!

whee!

One of my friends has a house at Cape San Blas. She says it's beautiful, yet a bit boring for her because there are not many shopping and dining options. On the other hand, her husband loves its remoteness, he has the money, so she doesn't rock the boat. I'd have a hard time being that complaisant.

Well, I understand how the wife feels, but I look at it two ways:

1) Happiness comes from within. It is breathtakingly beautiful here.
I love nature and animals, that's plentiful here, and I love swimming.
I just came back from an absolutely *awesome* swim! I go to town almost every day, do my little thing, or I might go to Apalach; once or twice a month I head to the "big city"--as in Panama. I'm not all that big on shopping, though I'd definitely like more options. I like to cook. What I do miss are movies and museums, but at least there is the Dixie Theater at Apalach.

2) The new town center will come.

Making friends helps. They're only here part of the time, right?
Tell the wife to give me a call and I'll hang out with her. ;-)

CJ

Beach Lover
Feb 16, 2005
Pt. Washington
It is a wonderful place. I grew up in Grayton beach, and it reminds me of Grayton in the 1960's and 70's. I took my 2 daughters, and my niece to St Joseph St. park last week. We snorkeled the grass beds all afternoon. Found lots of shells and saw all kinds of marine life. In the 1970's we used to get lots of scallops there. Then we headed over to Wakulla Springs and spent the night at the Motel. No T.V.'s., great old timey restaurant, checker boards, heard the gators bellowing in the spring all night. (mating season). Next morning had a great brakfast, then took a river tour, seeing lots of gators, snakes, wood ducks, fish, rare birds, cypress tree's-some as old as 600 years. Very educational for the kids, and quality time spent with them. If you want to experience Florida as it was say about 1940 you will enjoy this trip.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
CJ said:
It is a wonderful place. I grew up in Grayton beach, and it reminds me of Grayton in the 1960's and 70's. I took my 2 daughters, and my niece to St Joseph St. park last week. We snorkeled the grass beds all afternoon. Found lots of shells and saw all kinds of marine life. In the 1970's we used to get lots of scallops there. Then we headed over to Wakulla Springs and spent the night at the Motel. No T.V.'s., great old timey restaurant, checker boards, heard the gators bellowing in the spring all night. (mating season). Next morning had a great brakfast, then took a river tour, seeing lots of gators, snakes, wood ducks, fish, rare birds, cypress tree's-some as old as 600 years. Very educational for the kids, and quality time spent with them. If you want to experience Florida as it was say about 1940 you will enjoy this trip.

Somebody forgot to log out CJ?