Cat Declawing

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by sbartoldus, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I was sitting next to someone at a meeting today who has show cats. He assured me that those little plastic tips work. So I am not as panicked as I was.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I feel a little better about it. :wave:

2. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

If the spray bottle doesn't work or isn't feasible due to work, social activities, etc. get mouse traps and place them on counters, kitchen tables, dining room table, etc. If you have a glass surface don't use them. Set the trap and place it UPSIDE DOWN, this is very important, and if the cat gets on the area and moves the trap it will go off scaring the cat off the area. The sound and motion will teach kitty a very valuable lesson.

There are also sprays that can be purchased that will repel the cat from things it is sprayed on. It is very effective and after a certain number of sprayings kitty will be in the habit of avoiding those areas anyway.

3. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Some people also have luck with tin foil on surfaces they want the cat to stay away from or off of.

4. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

I don't think Cowboy is a sprayer. Thank God, evidently!

And, JohnRudy, Sweet Pea being a rescue, came with her own set of issues. Separation anxiety, which makes her chew and lounge on top of my dining room table. It's funny to see her up there, but she gets up there so she can look out the window for me coming down the driveway. Sometimes she sits in the dining chairs and just sits. Doing nothing.

Anyway, both of my animals have caused some damage, but it just isn't important.

5. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Since the cat in question is a known violator of $ furnishings (and I blame the owner BTW, as I do w/ all poorly behaved pets and children), I don't think BR is being unreasonable to want to protect her house from its new tenant.

Do they really cut its toes off when they declaw it? :blink:

6. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Yes- to the first joint. Then the feet are wrapped in gauze and tape for several days, with the blood oozing out and lots of pain- it is horrible to watch them walk. Cats respond to pain meds in strange ways so it is not always effective and/or makes them nuts. We never let them go home until the 3rd or 4th day, because the owners would freak out when they saw how truly awful this procedure is, or they would get them home, take off the bandages, and have a bloodbath all over the house.

7. Beach Runner

Pepper has never damaged anything except my arm during a Gator game and my husband's orthotics. Unlike my previous twin miniature poodles who would get ticked off when we'd spend a Saturday at Lenox Square and chew a hole into the sheetrock.:eek: Also, they loved to eat my underwear.

Thank you. :bow:

I experienced that when Pepper had all digits on her cancerous toe removed last summer. It was awful. Even though I am not a cat person, I love animals enough to not put them through this. (Heck, I brake for squirrels). I just thought declawing meant taking off the nail, not taking off the toe, like daughter who stubbed her baby toes so many times that there is just a vestige of a toenail there. Almost impossible to put polish on them.

8. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

That's a lounge thread right there! :blink:

9. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

See BR- you have some options! Claw covers, trimming, or new home for the cat!:clap:

10. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lynnie [​IMG]
    Anyway, both of my animals have caused some damage, but it just isn't important.

Pepper has never damaged anything except my arm during a Gator game and my husband's orthotics. Unlike my previous twin miniature poodles who would get ticked off when we'd spend a Saturday at Lenox Square and chew a hole into the sheetrock.:eek: Also, they loved to eat my underwear.

A GF has dogs that eat her underwear.....The General used to do that, but Sweet Pea doesn't.

My animals have caused very little stress over damage, which is very little. Compared to the funn we have and the joy they bring, it's nothing. So, that was my original input - it's just not important when you look at a tangible compared to a breathing being.

And, so glad, BR, that you know now about declawing. Once my family told me about this, I never looked back with Cowboy. Plus, having his claws helps him hunt and gather much more efficiently......do you like chipmunks brought to you? :D

11. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Beachrunner, don't do it, not any of it. Find another home for that cat. You are not going to be happy with a cat in your home. You cannot train them like a dog. Either you are a cat person, or you are not, and you are not. It's obvious. Just find a cat person to take it off your hands and enjoy your dog, and your furniture.

12. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

uh, she might just end up loving that cat! Mr. JR said he always hated cats. But after meeting me and my cats thru the years, he now is an official cat person. He actually likes cats better. You just never know. Could be a match made in heaven. :D

13. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Oh, I know, Johnrudy, people do change and fall in love with cats all the time. But see, Mr. JR was motivated. ;-) Beachrunner is not. I'd hate to see the cat declawed and it turnout to be a match not made in heaven.

14. ItzKatzTime

ItzKatzTime Beach Fanatic

Phew...I feel better now. Thanks for taking all this advice, opinions and well, whatever. Most people I come in contact with think the same thing...only the nail. Good Luck! :clap: Looking forward to hearing your stories about your new friend! When does he/she arrive?

I break for squirrels too, turtles, mice, armadillos (they are so slow), and just about anything that can cross a road!;-)

15. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

I should reveal tho, that after the cat urinated in one of our guest's suitcases and then on their bed, he vacillated on being a cat lover/cat hater. :lol:

16. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

:funn:That's cats for you.

17. sbartoldus

sbartoldus Beach Fanatic

BR, you are not alone in this misunderstanding which is why I posted. I come in contact daily with the issue and just wanted to get some education out there. There are many alternatives out there and I applaud you for keeping an open mind and heart!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  18. Beach Runner

Late May.

Actually one day as I was driving down our driveway, I saw a turtle in the middle of the road. I picked it up, and liquid started flowing out of its shell. I thought it was wet from swimming in the lake. Then I realized it was peeing on me! I carried it away from the road. When I came back home, it was gone. So thankfully it didn't get smushed.

I would run over armadillos if my car weren't so low profile. They gross me out.

I don't break for snakes. One day a copperhead was in the driveway near the garage. I ran over it about 20 times on purpose. I know my neighbor wondered what the heck I was doing driving forward and backward repeatedly in the driveway. It totally freaked out our maid. She was scared to take out the trash from then on. Later I went out to check on the snake, and it was gone! :eek: It lived through my assault and made its way all the way down to the street. Within hours, ants had stripped it.

19. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

How ungrateful!
    My guess is that some critter was thinking about a snake snack. I hear they taste like chicken.

Glad you are second-guessing the declawing. I didn't realize how traumatic it was, either until I read this. I've always been afraid to do it just in case the cat got out of the house. (The BB and FFF cats are indoor cats like Smudge was because of their long, fine fur.)

I do look forward to the FFF cat getting out of the kitten stage. He still likes to play the Venus flytrap game, where he rolls over on his back, exposing his tummy (which has recently become enormous.) You can't help but rub a giant kitty tummy. But then he clamps down with all five of his sharp ends--chomp. It's very cute, but it's also difficult to escape unscathed. :lol:

He more than makes up for it by licking my toes. That's some of the best tickling in the world! :wub:

20. Beach Runner

Daughter says kitty licking is better than doggy licking due to the rough tongue. From what she says, kitty gets freaked out easily. About a month ago, kitty got freaked and scratched the heck out of daughter's foot. The first reaction by those in the know is asking if she's into cutting. No, she has a cat, they are crazy, and I don't understand them.

I am a dog person.