• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Is the purchase made more justifiable because she bought it during her first term as a County Commissioner? Were we not embroiled in one of several lawsuits at that time that have cost the county in total almost $5 million dollars?

Also curious in your fact finding expedition if you asked to see all the expenditures and paid outs for that 50k grant?

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
We'll there is your answer apparently, as I said in my post I was asking what the deal was. And I'm with GS above, I don't care when she bought it, a 6K desk for a commissioner is ridiculous and needs to be explained. I would like to see a detailed accounting of the 50k myself, Why don't you do a public records request there fiction person?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
OK, so Commissioner Jones had this desk back when she was District 5 Commissioner. Former Commissioner Meadows used it during her term and was there an effort to get rid of it during her term? That being said I hope Commissioner Anderson isn't buying a new one. I agree that $6000 may be expensive but this old news. Now is the $50000 new or is this an aged gripe?

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
We'll there is your answer apparently, as I said in my post I was asking what the deal was. And I'm with GS above, I don't care when she bought it, a 6K desk for a commissioner is ridiculous and needs to be explained. I would like to see a detailed accounting of the 50k myself, Why don't you do a public records request there fiction person?
I believe the $50,000 grant was for WeeCare park amenities like restrooms, soccer fields, bleachers (amenities for the park).
Is the purchase made more justifiable because she bought it during her first term as a County Commissioner? Were we not embroiled in one of several lawsuits at that time that have cost the county in total almost $5 million dollars?

Also curious in your fact finding expedition if you asked to see all the expenditures and paid outs for that 50k grant?
I am not disagreeing that a $6,000 desk would be exorbitant. I just wondered why something like that wouldn't have been reported by one of the news media sources that cover Walton County pretty thoroughly. I am literally trying to find out when and where this expenditure was approved. I wasn't looking back to District 5 several years ago. I was looking at much more recent expenditures and could not find anything that fit. Regarding the $50,000 grants, it appears that there is one for Wee Care park amenities and one for Darlington Park amenities. I'm not even sure that those grants are received yet. Like you, I am no fan of all the lawsuits that seem to go on in Walton County. Not my idea of a great way to spend money.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Board of County Commissioners Meeting Agenda October 11, 2016

CECILIA JONES, DISTRICT TWO
36. 16-1481 Request to approve and authorize staff to submit a Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP) grant application to DEP for Wee Care Park Improvements Phase IV and Request permission to hold a Staff Public Workshop 37. 16-1482 Request to approve and authorize staff to submit a Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP) grant application to DEP for Darlington Park and Request permission to hold a Staff Public Workshop

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Board of County Commissioners Meeting Agenda October 11, 2016

CECILIA JONES, DISTRICT TWO
36. 16-1481 Request to approve and authorize staff to submit a Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP) grant application to DEP for Wee Care Park Improvements Phase IV and Request permission to hold a Staff Public Workshop 37. 16-1482 Request to approve and authorize staff to submit a Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP) grant application to DEP for Darlington Park and Request permission to hold a Staff Public Workshop

I'm aware of the grant. It was asked to be approved back in July and as I said before, she took Ms. Meadows to task at that same BCC meeting for not "sharing" plat fee money in District 5 so she could do these "upgrades". I guess the issue here for me is that First Responder's are living in some pretty retched conditions in the North end and there was (until the last BCC meeting) very little interest in applying for grants that would make them safer with healthier working conditions so they could adequately do there jobs keeping the public safe. Where are the priorities? Is it more important to fix kiddie parks and have a "show piece" so you could pat yourself on the back and tell the public what you did for them (particularly where ones office is located) or is it more important to take care of those who may someday save your life?

The answer for me is that grants for first reponders come with strings attached. They are subject to inspection by the State and heaven forbid there actually be some oversight.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
@ FactorFiction also said
I am not disagreeing that a $6,000 desk would be exorbitant. I just wondered why something like that wouldn't have been reported by one of the news media sources that cover Walton County pretty thoroughly.

Really? Most people call our local newspapers mullet wrappers. We don't have any investigative journalists in this neck of the woods. You also need to know what you're looking for before you can go looking for it. I seriously doubt she bragged to the newspapers or gave them a guided tour of her accommodations.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
yes, local papers are used to wrap fish...

nothing more, nothing less.

The only reporter around stuck his head up A*%0in@on's ass a few year's ago.

Hard to pull out...