• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
OK, so Commissioner Jones had this desk back when she was District 5 Commissioner. Former Commissioner Meadows used it during her term and was there an effort to get rid of it during her term? That being said I hope Commissioner Anderson isn't buying a new one. I agree that $6000 may be expensive but this old news. Now is the $50000 new or is this an aged gripe?

Tell me sir, how long have conditions been what they are for First Responders?

8 years? 10 years? Some would consider that old news as well but it certainly got some press at the BCC meeting in SoWal recently and continues to garner attention. It wasn't simply written off as "old news".

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Tell me sir, how long have conditions been what they are for First Responders?

8 years? 10 years? Some would consider that old news as well but it certainly got some press at the BCC meeting in SoWal recently and continues to garner attention. It wasn't simply written off as "old news".
Absolutely, I have never said that the wheels of this government moves fast. It is old news, I suppose the difference is now, that 3 of the elected Commissioners were assisted into office by members of fire rescue and hopefully has their ear so that at least some of the issues that need to be addressed will be. I suppose it is what you put into it determines how it is going to be addressed.
As for the upgrades to the park, I almost got the impression the money was used to upgrade the District 2 office. I wish it was as easy to get cash to upgrade facilities, but I certainly won't complain because there was money for parks, that are sorely lacking in Walton County.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Walton County has money. Millions are held in reserve. I agree with Bob Wells that parks are needed because companies looking for a place to locate look at those things. But there has been funds available in the budget that could have fixed and improved the conditions for our firefighters. Not only do we need to upgrade the stations but we need training facilities for our employees. It is unconscionable to send these people into harms way without the best training and equipment that we can afford. We can and should do better.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I'm aware of the grant. It was asked to be approved back in July and as I said before, she took Ms. Meadows to task at that same BCC meeting for not "sharing" plat fee money in District 5 so she could do these "upgrades". I guess the issue here for me is that First Responder's are living in some pretty retched conditions in the North end and there was (until the last BCC meeting) very little interest in applying for grants that would make them safer with healthier working conditions so they could adequately do there jobs keeping the public safe. Where are the priorities? Is it more important to fix kiddie parks and have a "show piece" so you could pat yourself on the back and tell the public what you did for them (particularly where ones office is located) or is it more important to take care of those who may someday save your life?

The answer for me is that grants for first reponders come with strings attached. They are subject to inspection by the State and heaven forbid there actually be some oversight.
Our first responders definitely need to be a priority. I am all for seeking grants for anything that will assist in making their jobs and/or environment better. I think we can actually accomplish that simultaneously with seeking recreation grants. They are two separate pots of potential funding. Ms. Nipper deserves kudos for bringing focus to the issue of improving the conditions for our first responders on the north end.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Absolutely, I have never said that the wheels of this government moves fast. It is old news, I suppose the difference is now, that 3 of the elected Commissioners were assisted into office by members of fire rescue and hopefully has their ear so that at least some of the issues that need to be addressed will be. I suppose it is what you put into it determines how it is going to be addressed.
As for the upgrades to the park, I almost got the impression the money was used to upgrade the District 2 office. I wish it was as easy to get cash to upgrade facilities, but I certainly won't complain because there was money for parks, that are sorely lacking in Walton County.

With all due respect Bob allow me this...

1. We (the people) elected 2 new commissioners. The remaining 3 are all part and parcel of the decade long issues and there hasn't been anything put into it which, is the whole problem.

2. 25k isn't allot of money in the overall scheme of things and its just my opinion that the cost of yet another feasibility study could be better utilized by addressing immediate areas of concern while grants could and should be applied for. Grant monies I might add that require accountability which is desperately needed.

3. Feasibility studies have a history in this County of going largely ignored which equals money wasted!

4. I personally am not so sure and have yet to be convinced that Fire/EMS being moved under the auspices of the Sheriff is the solution either. The Sheriff's department budget makes up the lions share of government spending and is already larger than life. Nothing against the Sheriff personally, I think the men and women that make up that Sheriff's Office do one hell of a job.

5. I think this is more about a personality conflict and I'm in agreement that the reasons for them are numerous but he takes his direction/marching orders from the BCC whose votes you are currently depending on, that in all honesty, have created the problems or at the very least, have allowed them to continue to deteriorate.

6. I agree completely with Sara Comander. Find or use emergency/contingency funds and just get it done. That's the simple solution.

I also think that if you asked all the taxpayers what was at the top of their priority list of things that needed to be fixed in this County (kiddie parks or Firefighter/EMS) conditions, without a doubt it would be taking care of those for whom your life may well depend.

Thanks for your service!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
With all due respect Bob allow me this...

1. We (the people) elected 2 new commissioners. The remaining 3 are all part and parcel of the decade long issues and there hasn't been anything put into it which, is the whole problem.

2. 25k isn't allot of money in the overall scheme of things and its just my opinion that the cost of yet another feasibility study could be better utilized by addressing immediate areas of concern while grants could and should be applied for. Grant monies I might add that require accountability which is desperately needed.

3. Feasibility studies have a history in this County of going largely ignored which equals money wasted!

4. I personally am not so sure and have yet to be convinced that Fire/EMS being moved under the auspices of the Sheriff is the solution either. The Sheriff's department budget makes up the lions share of government spending and is already larger than life. Nothing against the Sheriff personally, I think the men and women that make up that Sheriff's Office do one hell of a job.

5. I think this is more about a personality conflict and I'm in agreement that the reasons for them are numerous but he takes his direction/marching orders from the BCC whose votes you are currently depending on, that in all honesty, have created the problems or at the very least, have allowed them to continue to deteriorate.

6. I agree completely with Sara Comander. Find or use emergency/contingency funds and just get it done. That's the simple solution.

I also think that if you asked all the taxpayers what was at the top of their priority list of things that needed to be fixed in this County (kiddie parks or Firefighter/EMS) conditions, without a doubt it would be taking care of those for whom your life may well depend.

Thanks for your service!
#1 Politics
#2 Feasibility Studies are performed by places that want to justify something and want to be to prove what they are saying even when they ignored the results. The Sheriff and Chief Martin could do this without the 25000 price tag and come up with the solutions they want. My opinion is that the answer is going to be found in how much moneyou the county is willing to spend to fix the issues.
#3 See above
#4 See #2
#5 Someone else needs to address that.
#6 Commissioner Comander sounded initially like she was less than sympathetic to the employees plight, talking about her office and the age of it. When she found she was on the wrong side of the issue, she supported finding the funds. At least that was how it sounded when I sat there and listened to the discussion.

I think if you asked all taxpayers that question, it would be like me throwing darts, the answer would be all over the board.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
I am thankful for the DeFuniak Herald / Beach Breeze. They do a good job of covering everything and it takes a lot of work. Dotty Nist is a treasure.

Maybe instead of investigative journalists we need to hire better, more honest people to run things.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
I did not get the impression that Sara Comander was not for addressing the issues and tackling the problem. What I took from her comments was that there have already been 5 feasibility studies that have all gone ignored. Do I think she is supportive of the push for the Sheriff to take over Fire/EMS? Not so much! Personally, I think she was less enthusiastic about throwing Chief Martin under the bus, believing that given the cards he has been dealt and the money he has had to work with, he has done an admirable job. The presentation presented to the BCC (in my opinion) does not support those assertions.

I also think there are Union vs Non Union issues at play and assuredly a lot of different personalities. I'm neither for nor against Unions so I have no dog in that fight. I simply believe that there is money available in reserves to FIX the problems and it should have been done a decade ago.

For decades our illustrious BCC has found ways to spend and waste taxpayer money never effectively putting it where it benefits the vast majority of their constituents.

The $6000.00 dollar desk is but one example, the 25k feasibility study another. I'm absolutely certain there will be others forthcoming.

P.S. In fact, $17500.00 of them.

Last edited: