• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
you have to be careful, but please be selective in your judgement. as a previous victim of the 'reverse' side of youth culture, we were very calm, mature, well behaved, boring, upper-iq scientists-in-training but sometimes we got treated like we were going to steal the silverware. the safest bet is to charge a really huge deposit to cover anything that happens, intentional or not. worst thing we ever did was to spill coffee by accident on a nice carpet.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
kurt said:
The ramblin' wreck ???
I had always heard that all Tech kids were nerds. Not so! Those kids know how to party. Yes, there are a lot of nerds there, but not in the Greek crowd from what I've seen.

Now MIT was another story. My daughter was there a year and left. She said that no one that she met there had any social skills. She and her best friend were the only two people that she knew at MIT who went somewhere on spring break. Everyone else she knew stayed in Cambridge and studied! How weird is that? She is so normal that people in Boston didn't believe that she went to MIT and would make her prove it by showing them her MIT ID card.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
MarineBiology, I was the same. Never made trouble, never got in trouble. To top it off, my husband and I married at 18 and 19 years old, and it is very frustrating to be treated like a naughty teenager when you are married and raising a family.

Even now, at 27 years old, cashiers will glare at me and accuse me of having fake ID when I go in to buy spray paint or super glue or *gasp* an alcoholic beverage. I have lost count of how many times I've had to defend myself by explaining that not only am I of age, I have a husband of 9 years, two kids, and drive a minivan. How much more domesticated can you get!

Unfortunately, so many teens are wild and ungoverned that it taints the whole generation. I guess every generation has dealt with that in it's own turn.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
A final comment from us on this subject. After some investigation and critical feedback from Mountain Brook folks, it would appear that the chaperone who occupied our home had no relationship to the chaperones on the infamous Aruba trip. This has been confirmed by adults who were on that trip, who are suffering their own agony without opportunists such as this guy. The fact that this fella would make the statements he did and allow that beer party tell me that he's an unsavory character, nonetheless. So a good idea to be aware that this guy is out there, duly employed and probably looking for his next opportunity. I just wanted to clarify the accuracy of the statements that he made and that were reported in my first post.

I'm also happy to report that we are very pleased at the steps our management company is taking to prevent situations like this in the future. The value of these communications is in knowing that such people are operating in our environments. We are now returning to regularly scheduled happy thoughts about Grayton and our house there!

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
lenzoe said:
I'm sorry, but I find the concept of hiring a company to chaperone your kids, if that is what actually happened, totally bizarre.

I wonder how that works. Do the kids decide to go, and then find an adult to rent their accomodations for them? Or do the parents agree to the trip and hire the chaperone? I've never heard of hiring a stranger to chaperone someone's kids on a vacation before.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Actually there was a large group of parents at my daughter's former school who took their kids starting at age 13 to Cancun on spring break and would let them go out unsupervised in groups and drink whatever they wanted. Apparently in Cancun there is no minimum drinking age. It totally horrified me that parents would do this. So I guess the parents were unpaid chaperones, doing a minimal amount of chaperoning?

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
That's just messed up. Where was I when they were handing out the invitations for such a trip?? The best we got was a tour of Washington DC which I ended up spending entirely at the Smithsonian photographing their geology specimens with the school's science teacher. I got to go and work my tail off from dawn to dusk for 5 days, had to put on white gloves, and got to heave around some hugely expensive mineralogical pieces. Only drinking I did was Gatorade. Needless to say it was absolute science heaven and I'd do it agin in a heartbeat! I love science (and sand)! Cancun, huh? Jeez, I could have worn my wetsuit and cataloged some new shells for my shell collection!