• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Mine was $400, and 3000+ sq ft. I have a wood burning fireplace insert, and a gas stove. I've done many improvements through the years, including new roof with attic and insulation, double paned windows, etc. it's still too high! I"m still looking into wind generator and solar panels!

There was an insert in a previous bill to donate to a benevolent fund. I think it's a great thing, the Salvation Army is handling it though, and I don't thnk they are located in Walton County. So, those that need assistance have to drive to a neighboring county to get it. I wish they had chosen a local charity.

Be careful with unvented gas heat! Make sure there is some kind of venting available.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
OMG you guys - WOW! I am HOPING our 11inch ICF walls, on demand water heater, our blown attic and Energy Star home w/solar will prove to be worth it. Too bad we are not in it this winter as a TRUE test. I really wonder what our bill would be. I heated w/wood back home and never had a bill that amounted to much due to that.

I heard that a minimum bill at Chelco is $24 - just for being a member - is that correct?

Stay warm SoWallers!!!

G

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
John R is right, insulating your water heater and intsalling a timer help a lot.

I would add caulking drafty windows (or just jam towels or something in the sill), weather stripping on doors, closing off unused spaces and ducts to them, and use your window treatments wisely: open shades/curtains on sunny windows on sunny days for passive heat gain; keep shades closed as much as possible when it's dark or in an unused room, etc.

If you can afford it, get new windows and/or insulated window treatments. Ours have made a huge difference both summer and winter.

Safer than electric blankets: rice socks. Fill a clean tube sock with 4 cups cheap rice and tie up securely. Heat in microwave for 3-5 minutes, and use as many as needed to warm your toes in bed. Pile on enough blankets, they will still be a little warm next morning. This is great for applying heat to muscle cramps and such also, and they can be chilled in the freezer for cold applications.

Eat warm, cooked foods, with some spice; drink hot tea; stay away from cold salads and iced drinks or desserts. Some folks even put cayenne pepper in their shoes or socks for a boost....

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Rolled up towels in window sills......yep! In a 90 year house that has settled quite a bit, I can attest that this works. I was just getting ready to replace my windows, too! All of my doors swelled from the rains, then shrank way more than original so I have draft dodgers for those, too! Keep the thermostat at 66, which is cozy (efficient unit installed, but would love to go solar) and I could never replace Cowboy with rice to keep my feet warm.....he's the best! 2,400 sq ft and my bill was a little over $100. I might switch the beach cottage to gas, too. Y'all stay warm and cozy~~~~~~~

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Another idea -- I have a good friend who's done this -- is to install a solar thermal water heater. They're kinda expensive, so the payback is a few years, but it reduces your water heating costs to almost nothing. No moving parts (or very few). I hope to afford one someday. On-demand water heaters are a less expensive option and they're way more available and easy to have installed and repaired than they were when we tried out our first (1980s).

You can also make your own solar thermal water heater, if you have a little handyman knowhow or can pay a couple of tradesmen to help you out. Something as simple as a length of black hose coiled on the roof as a solar preheater helps a lot. To see a really simple version of this (for an outdoor solar shower application), go to www.pathtofreedom.com. Well they've re-arranged their website and I can't find the entry where they describe it, but I did find this image, hope it shows up right:
newsolarshower2_2.jpg

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhGeUkaMbMQ"]YouTube- Urban Homestead - Solar Outdoor Shower[/ame]

Here's a video with more info about Path to Freedom, about how they use less energy.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
You can also make your own solar thermal water heater, if you have a little handyman knowhow or can pay a couple of tradesmen to help you out. Something as simple as a length of black hose coiled on the roof as a solar preheater helps a lot. To see a really simple version of this (for an outdoor solar shower application), go to www.pathtofreedom.com. Well they've re-arranged their website and I can't find the entry where they describe it, but I did find this image, hope it shows up right:

Ha - no joking! We had one back home - for most of the months of the year we had all the hot water we wanted via black pipe and the sun. Going to rig something here too. Only ours looked and will look a lot less primitive than the one pictured above (although this certainly has its charm) I'll see if I can find a pic of our old setup. My dh is very handy dandy.

G

cheesehead

Beach Lover
Jul 28, 2008
30a
Gas is the way to, if you can get it.Wrap the hot watwer heater, as that will help. Insulation, good windows help too. Mine was $96 for a carriage house, and the heat is turned way down, when at work, Miss my boiler system form previous house, which was gas also.

Crazy K

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2008
SRB/Franklin, NC
Mine was $222 for 1600 sq ft. house and I haven't there since Nov. Used 1822 kwh. Maybe I have squatters?????