• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

destinsm

Beach Lover
May 23, 2006
More bad news for Citizens homeowners insurance holders.....

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16033075.htm

"If you have windstorm insurance from Citizens, look out -- yet another rate increase is coming your way.

Rates will jump 55.8 percent early next year for the nearly 247,000 homeowners in South Florida who buy windstorm coverage from Citizens Property Insurance, the state-run insurer of last resort. That's on top of another increase already approved to take effect Jan. 1.

The total hit for many homeowners: rate increases of more than 100 percent. And that's just for next year."

By the way, you can insert the title of this thread into google, then click on the news result that pops up. This will allow you to see the article without registering through Miami Heralds website...

Last edited:

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Well what did anyone expect? You elected Jeb and Crist as governors both of which are in the pocket of the insurance companies.

This will surely kill any hopes about the real estate market coming back anytime soon.

The forecast for a bottom to be reached in the Florida real estate market by 2008 may now be a little too optimistic .

By the way, for current articles you can just click on the website today and not go through the registration-that is only for the archives.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Well what did anyone expect? You elected Jeb and Crist as governors both of which are in the pocket of the insurance companies.

This will surely kill any hopes about the real estate market coming back anytime soon.

The forecast for a bottom to be reached in the Florida real estate market by 2008 may now be a little too optimistic .

By the way, for current articles you can just click on the website today and not go through the registration-that is only for the archives.
I think the moderator in the second Christ-Davis debate directly asked Christ four or five times if he took insurance co. money. Christ replied very unwillingly "yes".

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Maybe so, but check the contributors' list......

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I heard on the radio today that Florida Citizens was going to stop offering wind and hail coverage to residences not owner occupied...or at least I thought I did. Anybody have an update or clarification on this? :dunno:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I heard on the radio today that Florida Citizens was going to stop offering wind and hail coverage to residences not owner occupied...or at least I thought I did. Anybody have an update or clarification on this? :dunno:

Guess I'll just have to move. :D

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I was told by our insurance agent that Citizens has to find someone else to take us. We then got a bill from a company called Homewise - and yes we doubled since last year on our wind coverage.

Sheila

SoWal Insider

We recieved a form from them back in October that wanted to know if we lived in our house full time. Our house in Seacrest got dropped by Citizens last year. I figured the house in Seagrove would be next. :sosad:

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Hey Skunkape - Love your avatar of the old Lafitte's Blacksmith. I'll never forget being in there on Mardi Gras day - I think it was '84 and doing something illegal and the cops couldn't have cared less. Those were the days!!!!:lol:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Hey Skunkape - Love your avatar of the old Lafitte's Blacksmith. I'll never forget being in there on Mardi Gras day - I think it was '84 and doing something illegal and the cops couldn't have cared less. Those were the days!!!!:lol:

I sat in the darkness there last Halloween night waiting for the good privateer to show himself, but alas, no luck. :roll: