• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Maybe we should do what they do in New Orleans and have a SoWal Eat Club. A group goes to a chosen restaurant every month, and the chef prepares a special meal with wine pairing for a flat fee. Here is a link to how it works in NOLA: http://www.nomenu.com/EatClub/index.html

We could start very simply and limit ourselves to independent operations that would like to have us. :wave:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'm thinking more about what we can do. Don't forget the simplicity of this dining forum. Keep posting reviews and info about local restaurants. Also there are quite a few restaurants with reps that post here and they are quite successful.

olive

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2005
:love:SoWal has been great to Amore'!:love:

I can't tell you how much we appreciate it.

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
I just wanted to say that when we brought 2 couples with us last weekend to Mountainfilm, they were forewarned that much of our weekend was planned around meals, no lie. We took them to Borago, Fabrice, Red Bar, Hurricane, Amore and Hibiscus. That list alone encompasses some of the best food 30A has to offer, and the variety is wide. On the way home, I posed the question: what was the best thing you had to eat all weekend? My point being, we had a lot to talk about after all the good things we ate. Please--stay here and eat here!
P.S. Why had I never heard anything about the corn fritters at Hurricane?! They changed my life!

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I'm thinking more about what we can do. Don't forget the simplicity of this dining forum. Keep posting reviews and info about local restaurants. Also there are quite a few restaurants with reps that post here and they are quite successful.

I'm trying to get Skunky to blog about food -- he even took notes at Criolla's last weekend.

Beyond that, what about some sort of rating system? Like a Zagat style democratic restaurant review, with a few spot-on comments added, that could be printed up yearly and distributed to tourists and locals alike. It seems like this board would be the perfect place to launch that sort of effort. Of course, this might not work out great for the tourist trap places -- but there aren't many of those and it's the bad experience like that that drives people to the chains, anyway.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think Kurt is right in trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Repeated rave reviews and taking guests to all your favorite places and steering them away from the chains will go far!

I think a Sowal list of favorites would be great, as well as notes like kid-friendly, takes reservations, vegetarian meals etc, but a rating system would rapidly devolve into personal preference wars IMO.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'm trying to get Skunky to blog about food -- he even took notes at Criolla's last weekend.

Beyond that, what about some sort of rating system? Like a Zagat style democratic restaurant review, with a few spot-on comments added, that could be printed up yearly and distributed to tourists and locals alike. It seems like this board would be the perfect place to launch that sort of effort. Of course, this might not work out great for the tourist trap places -- but there aren't many of those and it's the bad experience like that that drives people to the chains, anyway.

Great ideas!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach

This is where we've had such success....you are so right Kurt!:clap::clap: