• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
IMO, the chains give all business issues to consider. Above all, and they to realize it, is that there is no stretch of real estate like 30-A. It is key to the success of the business on and around it. Individually owned shops and restaurants are what create the look and feel of this community. It is what brought us here to open an art gallery. The chains can't create it so we need to exploit it from a marketing standpoint.

Would it be wise for restaurants and local business to partner and do an annual event so attention is given to 30-A in this regard? Does any business organization currently exist for 30-A business? I realize that Seaside and the bigger developments have large events due to their tourist volume and marketing budgets, but what about the smaller business that flank these larger developments? The Champagne Shopping Tour is the only event I am aware of that shuttles people the entire stretch of 30-A so to see what it offers. Maybe an event with both local business and restaurants intertwined would work?

Each business could possibly team up with an area restaurant to do a tasting. I've always entertained the idea of doing an event with Cafe Tango being that they are across the street.

Marketing Ideas:

Scenic 30-A
Where Imagination Still Lives

Scenic 30-A
Better Ways - Better Days

Scenic 30-A : Magnificent Miles
Fine Food - Fine Art - Fine Times

Area business could possibly tent their parking lots, bring out the local musicians, and let the flavor of the area be seen and tasted while enjoying perfect weather?

Just thinking aloud. I'm relatively new to the area, has this or anything similar been tried before?

I have a quick minute and want to interject; the TDC would be able to promote an event that would be within the Autumn Tides program... we just have to be creative. We should set up a meeting with some of the people who are truly gung ho about making something happen collaboratively.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
IMO, the chains give all business issues to consider. Above all, and they to realize it, is that there is no stretch of real estate like 30-A. It is key to the success of the business on and around it. Individually owned shops and restaurants are what create the look and feel of this community. It is what brought us here to open an art gallery. The chains can't create it so we need to exploit it from a marketing standpoint.

Would it be wise for restaurants and local business to partner and do an annual event so attention is given to 30-A in this regard? Does any business organization currently exist for 30-A business? I realize that Seaside and the bigger developments have large events due to their tourist volume and marketing budgets, but what about the smaller business that flank these larger developments? The Champagne Shopping Tour is the only event I am aware of that shuttles people the entire stretch of 30-A so to see what it offers. Maybe an event with both local business and restaurants intertwined would work?

Each business could possibly team up with an area restaurant to do a tasting. I've always entertained the idea of doing an event with Cafe Tango being that they are across the street.

Marketing Ideas:

Scenic 30-A
Where Imagination Still Lives

Scenic 30-A
Better Ways - Better Days

Scenic 30-A : Magnificent Miles
Fine Food - Fine Art - Fine Times

Area business could possibly tent their parking lots, bring out the local musicians, and let the flavor of the area be seen and tasted while enjoying perfect weather?

Just thinking aloud. I'm relatively new to the area, has this or anything similar been tried before?

I love all the brainstorming. I especially was drawn to Curtis's last idea and thought why couldn't this be a monthly event, rather than just tying into Autumn Tides? How successful is the Champagne Tour in the Spring? I wonder if WC, Seaside or any of the other large communities might help market an idea like this?

I think that many of the owners that rent on here already do this, but having a binder with the menus of local restaurants is a big hit at my place. My guests are always thanking us for this feature. I also have tabs for shopping, art, fitness and local recreation. This would be a good start for promoting the uniqueness of 30A and the immediate area.

Losing CoCo's will be like losing a good friend. :sosad:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Maybe we should do what they do in New Orleans and have a SoWal Eat Club. A group goes to a chosen restaurant every month, and the chef prepares a special meal with wine pairing for a flat fee. Here is a link to how it works in NOLA: http://www.nomenu.com/EatClub/index.html

We could start very simply and limit ourselves to independent operations that would like to have us. :wave:

I like the Eat Club idea, but I think a twist is needed. I'd want to ask the restauranteurs on the board which month is the hardest for them vis a vis making it through the off season. Pick that month, and have something like Feed me, Wine Me February....a series of Eat Club type dinners where the chefs can showcase their talents, and make it a sort of civic duty to attend a couple. The SoWal Restaurant Association could organize the event, so that there would be some organization. And I know that sort of event would have attracted me down for a week or weekend when I was living elsewhere.

And as for eating local, this thread has made me not want to eat the spaghetti bolognese I'm cooking....I want Amore. I'm hanging up my apron tomorrow night and going out for some carpaccio and a big ole caesar salad!:love:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Punz...I think Amore is closed on Tuesdays now. :dunno: But like your vigor! I wish to say I meant "monthly" during the off season for the 30A idea.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
When I'm travelling / vacationing, I'm always motivated to seek out where the LOCALS EAT-DANCE-PLAY-HANG-OUT ... It's a way of feeling "with it" and being "semi-secure in choice" without resorting to familiar chains.

SoWal.com is a superb source of that kind of information. BUT ... there are still MANY people in the world who aren't into computers and message boards, etc. so the PRINTED WORD continues to be important.

Nobody has any spare $$ to spend on advertising or costly promo efforts right now. But...Wondering where is there an existing budget?? :dunno:
The Chamber or TDC?? Could/Would they devote some existing promotion print $$ to publishing SoWal.com Dining & Food Forum (ala Zagat's) updated on a Quarterly basis...and distribute to Rental Companies, etc. ???

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
How about something like -- 30-A, Where the old ways are the new ways.

We were watching this documentary about Wal-Mart the other night -- about how some funky small towns were trying to keep out chains and Wal-Mart came in and used freedom and property rights and ads with images of Nazis burning books to overturn the laws against chains. The conclusion of the documentary was that what attracted people to these mom and pop enclaves was the spirit of community they embodied, and that they begin to decline when the chains come in and the mom and pops close, but the growth trend is toward the mom and pops, the places that are a little off-beat and different.

So, while the rest of the country looks more and more the same, like the Geography of Nowhere, people will be attracted to the places with a sense of place.

As far as branding the restaurants -- well, there is this call in show about food on the radio every afternoon in New Orleans hosted by Tom Fitzmorris. New Orleanians are obsessed with good food, and are quick to point out that the food in every other city or town in the country with the exception of New York and to a lesser extent Chicago is pathetic. There is one other exception mentioned -- 30-A. There is a such thing as foodie tourism. Further, the reputation of the "brand", or the seeds of it, are already there to be built upon.

PUNZY I think you have hit the nail on the head.....so true about New Orleanians and their obsession with great food! I love the "FOODIE TOURISM" and that is where we'ved tried to be focused at D&K's....but that comes from years of living and dining in New Orleans and surrounding Parrishes...and then those secret places so far out you need a guide to get you there. It's not totally about the food....there has to be attitude with your food!

Hmmm that gives me an idea about bringing in some peeps (SKUNKY?) from New Orleans and surrounding area to give a talk of sorts about the whole concept of NOLA dining and what they offer to their clientel that we don't. We all have different cusines....but the concept is the same.

I love it....Foodie Tourism!!!!! And I'm loving this thread more and more! Good idea to "GET OUT OF THE RESTAURANT BOX" Indigo Jill! Okay we're on a roll now!!!! Marketing together is a great way to start!:clap::clap::clap:

:bow::bow::bow:Everyone has such great idesa!!!!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
(As Rapunzal brought up) I lived in Austin when the Keep Austin weird campaign was conceptualized and I think a campaign about 30A would be good for the area. "Keep it on 30A, or Keep it local or something, or of course including all of Sowal. (Keep South Walton local)

There are tons of great things we can do that do not include accepting local businesses closing. I am not against chains or corporations, but 30A offers so much more and we need to get people thinking about that.

The taste of 30A was a great idea, progressive dinners would be fun, or everyone offering a theme for a month like game meats for the month of November. It is beautiful out there.

I love the Austin campaign, and Louisville copied it with success. It "branded" the local independents through advertising, t-shirts, koozies,etc. Also, it is an ongoing campaign that we would keep alive, not just a one shot deal like a 'taste of" . Personally, we have never thought those "taste of" events were worth our time- do people ever go to them and start flocking to the representing restaurants? A successful campaign is going to have to be smack in the tourists' faces, and a taste of or locals dining events won't do that, although they could be a supplement to get a buzz going.

Our local restaurants and businesses need to be marketed in a way that makes them clearly recognized as superior and more desirable than chains. WE already know that they are superior.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap:
Curtis love your thinking! And I already thought you and Tango were doing something together as I see a lot of cars on both sides at times!
:clap::clap::clap:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I love the Austin campaign, and Louisville copied it with success. It "branded" the local independents through advertising, t-shirts, koozies,etc. Also, it is an ongoing campaign that we would keep alive, not just a one shot deal like a 'taste of" . Personally, we have never thought those "taste of" events were worth our time- do people ever go to them and start flocking to the representing restaurants? A successful campaign is going to have to be smack in the tourists' faces, QUOTE]

You are right on jdarg....it has to hit smack in the face or it will go over their heads. People are so busy today and tend to do what is convenient....I do it. Sometimes I have no choice BUT to do what is convenient....so let's throw that in the pot. :scratch: Can we keep our charm and be convenient too???

Remember the old Grayton Beach Slogan.
...Great Dogs Weird People!