Congratulations To Primary Winners

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Danny Glidewell, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

Congratulations to all the winners in tonight's primary: Russell Hughes, Rhonda Skipper, Bill Chapman, Melanie Nipper, Tony Anderson, Marsha Winegarner and Brad Drake. For those who must run in November, best of luck and for those who won tonight congratulations. This has been a tough and hard fought campaign but we must join together to work to make Walton County a better place to live for every citizen.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Agreed, congratulations

3. Born&Bread

Born&Bread Beach Lover

Big Tone bone, Tony the tiger, Honest Tony.

TONY GOING TO PUT THIS DISTRICT ON HIS BACK.

4. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

5. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Buh bye Cindy

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
    • List
  6. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Think the question should be why he won all precincts south of the bay except 1. I can understand north of the bay

7. Born&Bread

Born&Bread Beach Lover

Simple. He ran against Cindy. Cindy represents a small group. They have a big social media following but not a big voting turn out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

I really don't. Is it because Meadows always defended the people and businesses who live in SoWal and people north of the bay don't like that or is it because he bought votes up there? She has always been the outsider who stood against the good ole boy system.

9. sunny850

sunny850 Beach Lover

I am a democrat so I couldn't even vote yesterday for Anderson Or Meadows, so this is not a politically-motivated answer....but maybe it's because she didn't much campaign north of the bay. I live in sowal but work in defuniak so I am there more than I am home. Tony Anderson has been at the intersections waving, knocking on doors, campaigning like crazy. I have not seen meadows at all. When I talked to people I worked with, they had only seen her signs, not her. And the Phony Tony signs posted on all the poles in front of the schools last weeks gave a lot of people the impression she was running a nasty campaign. Her supporters who did that negatively impacted her campaign. Even yesterday at the biggest polling place in defuniak, Anderson had a ton of people and signs and people waving and meadows had a tent with one lady sitting in a chair who never even looked up. It sent a message that she didn't even care enough about the voters on the north end to bother. I am not saying she wasn't the best candidate, I am just trying to offer an answer to the question of why Anderson carried north of the bay. The really shocking thing is that she lost south of the bay, where she lives and knows everyone, where I thought she would win by a landslide.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I can't disagree with what you are saying. I was surprised that he won 3 of the 4 south end precinct pretty handling and compteted well in the one he lost.

11. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

I think the results show an anti-incumbent wave is still moving among voters. I also think the desire of voters to elect pro-growth candidates who will work to bring jobs to the county was evident. And I think that attacking Mr. Anderson for his career choices and personal business was a mistake. The influence of money was evident as always but the days of seeing who has raised what may not be as important as in the past. Direct contributions favored Mr. Imfeld but the Our generation spending far eclipsed anything Mr. Imfeld had. The negative mailers late that indicated Ms. Meadows had been found guilty of misuse of her position hurt as well. One stark difference between the 3 commission races was that Mr. Chapman AND his supporters never went negative against either opponent while both Ms. Meadows and Mr. Imfeld's supporters were very negative against Mr. Anderson and Ms. Nipper. People tend to sympathize with the attacked and absolutely do not like what they view as dirty politics. I think the size of Ms. Skipper's win also points to this phenomenon.

12. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

It appears that a majority of Walton County like his platform. No private property rights (beaches), no Accountability for small business (business license), free for all for beach vendors, etc.

I'm looking forward to the parking problems being solved, almost immediately, as well as the control over the over development of S. Walton.

The majority rules and Walton County is going to get what it wants. I'm just hoping it works out OK...

I also think, as stated here before, that we will see a new push for Incorporation now. Not sure if that's a good thing or not at this time.

13. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Congratulations to Tony.

I voted for Cindy. Tony won by a landslide. He did actually have a lot of
    support in the south end of the county, from what I saw. I do believe Cindy
    would have had more votes from non-republicans in the south end if they
    were able to vote, but I don't think this would have been enough to change
    the outcome.

In my opinion, Tony's team ran a better campaign -- better and more signs,
    car stickers, pins, supporters more motivated and positive. The only really
    nasty thing that came from his supporters I saw was the edited video of Cindy.
    The other nasty stuff against her that I saw came from outside groups.

The next couple of years will certainly be interesting! I hope that we can all
    work together to improve Walton County and protect everything that makes
    it so special and unique.

14. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Makes no sense. There were 2 candidates. What outside group would be against Cindy and not for Tony?

15. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Good point.

I was referring to the mailer that was paid for by VOTER RESPONSE about the
    ethics investigation. I think a lot of folks didn't see that as coming directly from
    Tony's campaign.

16. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

You must have missed the one with Randy Gardner's face on it bragging about how he filed an Ethics Complaint...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Murphys sweet heat

Murphys sweet heat Beach Crab

Landslide Anderson for the win

18. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

Probably. :) At a certain point in this election, I stopped looking
    at the mailers. They went directly from the mailbox to the trash.

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I understand about progrowth and attracting business, I personally would have thought with his accomplishments with the Mossy Head Industrial Park, Mr Fletcher would have been a winner. That said, my concern with the attraction of business, I pray we resist the urge to provide welfare to businesses to move here. Infrastructure isn't free and giving tax breaks hampers those improvements.

20. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Bingo Bob, Welfare!

Hammer hits nail head.