• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Camp Creek Kid said:
Shelly, that is nothing new. Pre-sales are reservations, but the final price isn't set until the reservation goes in to hard contract. It has always been that way.

What about my Trump condo in Tampa?

Trumped-up Charge

Others are dragging their feet going to contract:

Yeah, but What's It Gonna Cost???

Last edited:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
SHELLY said:
What about my Trump condo in Tampa?

Trumped-up Charge

Others are dragging their feet going to contract:

Yeah, but What's It Gonna Cost???

As I said, it is not uncommon for the actual contract price to be higher than the reservation price. Most condos are pre-sold years before they are actually built and actual cost isn't determined until the units go in to hard contract. Any reservation agreement will specifiy that the reservation price isn't necessarily the the final price.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
I have been trying to figure out the true cost and the DEFINITION of construction cost per sq foot. How do you determine it? Do you include the cost of the lot ? Is it just the living area under air? Or does it include the area for the porches, decks and other hardscape? If it is the entire square footage including decks porches and carriage house etc, what would be a fair per sq ft cost if the house is a WS or WC type home with the typical upgrades? Any opinion or comment would be appreciated. Thank you.

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
Take whatever it costs to build your house minus the lot. Divide that by square footage. That is construction cost per square foot. It includes all costs to build, period. I might also recommend multiplying any figure you had for cost at the beginning of this year by thirty percent. The costs of all construction materials have really gone out of control and now the subs have started raising prices.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Hey Jellyfish,
Couldn't agree with you more about Napa Valley - that is definitely "god's country". We move here from Los Angeles and there are certainly positives and negatives. Overall, we miss the diverse landscape of California and being able to be somewhere different in an hours drive but we absolutely love the clean beaches and easy parking / traffic issues. We were wondering if you might be interested in 2 lots for sale in the Gulf View Heights neighborhood - the subdivision that is basically across from Snapperheads & Goatfeathers. These 2 lots are priced at $264,400 each or a discount of 5% if you take both. The lots have deeded beach access and you can easily jump on your bike and hit the bike path or the trails located in the back of our neighborhood called the Long Leaf Pine Trailway. If you would like more information, send us an email and we will tell you more. Have a great day!

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
goofer44 said:
I have been trying to figure out the true cost and the DEFINITION of construction cost per sq foot. How do you determine it? Do you include the cost of the lot ? Is it just the living area under air? Or does it include the area for the porches, decks and other hardscape? If it is the entire square footage including decks porches and carriage house etc, what would be a fair per sq ft cost if the house is a WS or WC type home with the typical upgrades? Any opinion or comment would be appreciated. Thank you.

Goofer,

The per/sf numbers should be multiplied by the amount of heated & cooled space in your house. Different areas within the house cost more per sf to build, like kitchens, and baths; and some areas cost less per sf, like living rooms.

The overall cost/sf number is a way to average out all these variables so you can get a rough idea of how much the construction cost will be.

The per/sf takes into consideration an average amount of exterior spaces like porches, garages etc. so simply multiply your heated & cooled space by these numbers and that should include the cost to build your decks/garage etc.

The construction cost does not include the price of the land.

Hope that answers your question.

Julie Dorney

Beach Comber
Jul 5, 2006
I don't know much about construction costs but can talk with you about different communities in Sowal. We own in Blue Mountain which is a little less congested than Seaside- However, we also own in the Wild Heron community, which is just east of of 30-A on the outskirts of West Panama City Beach. It is a beauitful private community on Lake Powell, a coastal dune lake with a private beach club and shuttle from the club. It is definitely upscale but the prices have come down significantly for lots (with no build out time) with the slow market. It has a Greg Norman golf course, pool, firepit, boatdock, workout facility, club house and shuttle to the beach with private beach club. The homes are a coastal craftsman architecture. Anyway, if you are interested we own a lot (and could sell) or there are others we know who have invested there and motivated to sell. Clearly, one of the best kept secrets just east of 30-A! Julie

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Julie Dorney said:
I don't know much about construction costs but can talk with you about different communities in Sowal... Anyway, if you are interested we own a lot (and could sell) or there are others we know who have invested there and motivated to sell. Clearly, one of the best kept secrets just east of 30-A! Julie...

i missed where any of the above is relevant to cost per square foot. wouldn't it have been more effective to start a new thread listing your lot for sale?

goofer, if you're trying to get an estimate, and build in some contingency, for WC or WS, i'd figure 225-250/sq ft would be a good starting point.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
John R said:
i missed where any of the above is relevant to cost per square foot. wouldn't it have been more effective to start a new thread listing your lot for sale?

John,
You've gotta understand that things are a little tight in the RE sector. A whiff of anyone remotely interested in buying, building, or thinking about buying/building provides a crack in the doorway large enough to shove a foot into.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Uncle Timmy said:
[A] possible solution to the current construction costs:

Wait- The real estate feeding frenzy of the past few years is fueling the current construction boom as lot owners who bought in communities with build out times are scrambling to complete their homes. With the slow down in sales we MAY see a slow down in construction (and corresponding prices) within a few years.

Well, I've never quoted myself before but I wanted to follow up on that comment from last January.

It indeed looks like some of the prices for construction are coming down.

As anticipated, the subcontractors are getting a little bit hungry for the first time in several years, and are starting to bid competatively. I am hearing some numbers for framing, for example, down to 60% of what they were a year ago. Material costs are still up, and will probably remain so for a while, but at least we are begining to see labor costs come down.

It will be a while before I can give a more definative "overall" idea of where construction costs are going.