1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

County considers drinking ban

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Danny Glidewell, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

I am no fan of drinking alcohol, but this kind of ordinance is unenforceable and a huge overstep by government into people's private business.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/20150812/NEWS/150819759

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  2. lauralbardin

lauralbardin Beach Lover

If Walton and Okaloosa Counties don't enact the same ordinance, this will be the next Panama City beach- and no one wants that. Maybe making the drinking age being older would be a better solution?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. Solar Steve

Solar Steve Beach Comber

Should outlaw smoking on the beach full time!!!
    Tired of picking up cig butts on the beach!

4. Misty

Misty Banned

There needs to be a happy medium or the County runs the risk becoming so anal people will simply go elsewhere.

I recognize there is a movement afoot to "keep the trashy folks" and those some consider "undesirables" (IE) flag wavin, god fearing, hard workin, cigarette smokin, economically disadvantaged, dirty, unwashed, unkempt, truck drivin individuals and their families off the beaches but the bottom line is, public beaches belong to all of us and need to be respected. People need to be responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable if they aren't.

21 is the legal drinking age and if you aren't responsible enough at 21 to show some respect and responsibility chances are, you aren't ever going to be and no ordinance will change that. Underage drinking is another issue entirely and the Sheriff has filled the jail during Spring breaks and has done a pretty decent job of preventing a "Panama City" environment. That's his job! (And, his Uncle makes money too.)

I think retailers (including; hotel, motel, condo rental agents/owners) have an obligation to their customers and this County to enlighten their customers (maybe with pamphlets or flyers??) that irresponsible behavior will be dealt with by authorities and negative guest actions have consequences. If I invite you to my house I expect you to play by my rules and if you can't, you can go back to your damn house or see our damn jail!

5. surfdog

surfdog Beach Comber

first to go-,sittin with your dog sleepin behind your chair all day,..next -cookin hotdogs for your kids for lunch as they play in the surf, next- no bottles,....well bottles did have to go, next -where did all the laid back crowd go- next- you cant park here like you have for 20 plus years, and what would this paradise be without making sure the tradition of a cold beer in the peak of pompano season is put to an end. btw its still ok to wave to each other goin down 30a got us a publix n a wal mart tho... im done venting

6. Misty

Misty Banned

I think we are in more agreement than either of us realize.

7. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I think if Panama City Beach had truly enforced existing underage drinking laws and other existing ordinances, plus cracked down hard on the concerts at the beach, I believe their situation would not have escalated as it did. Now its so out of control that they need drastic measures on every front, not just alcohol bans.

I don't think Walton County needs such drastic measures. But we do need serious law enforcement in place and I believe we have that.

How do so many kids end up with rentals here when supposedly rental companies and owners don't allow them to rent?

8. surfdog

surfdog Beach Comber

oh misty i apologize-purely in agreement, sorry you took it otherwise

9. surfdog

surfdog Beach Comber

Teresa, i agree, and i have so much faith that our sheriff wont tolerate what has been goin down on front beach rd, let us never forget they have a sheriff that is as good as they come, but he has p.c., panama city beach and others limiting his abilities, front beach road is powerfull biz,, has been for a looong time, our sheriff doesnt have his hands tied like that, and niether do us locals.

10. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Beach Comber

Completely uncalled for. Walton County's Sheriff Department does an excellent job enforcing under age drinking laws out on the beach, which is a major root of the PCB problem.
    Panama City Beach has become a national embarrassment. The sheriff over there Frank M. Is doing everything he can to try to get it back into control and the drinking on the beach ban has become absolutely necessary. The club owners are the only one that benefit from it and the mayor Gayle Oberst seems to be in their pockets judging from some of her remarks and they are fighting Frank tooth and nail to keep it the status quo and it is going to take several years to fix that mess.
    However, South Walton county isn't going to attract that massive spring break crowd. A majority of spring breakers are under age and as long as the age requirement is enforced it will suffice. Another barrier preventing that chaos is South Walton establishments close before 2 am (vs the former pcb 4 am) and there are no real night clubs. There is Pandoras and Baytowne but those are nothing like the super clubs(LaVela, Spinnaker, Harpoon Harrys, Sharkys) that the pcb spring break crowd is looking for. 30A/Sowal really has nothing to worry about. Destin/Okaloosa (Island) would be a more likely target replacement destination as that is where you find Night town, Ajs, Coyote Ugly, The swamp, Strip Clubs, ect. That is more along the lines of what the PCB spring break demographic is looking for.
    A no alcohol on the beach ordinance is unneeded as that spring break crowd is not going to come to SoWal because they would find it too boring for the reasons mentioned above.

11. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

No doubt, 30A proper, sorry Miramar, not SoWal by definition, but 30A the highway (insert big smile here), is so packed with families and have such a lack of nightlife that spring breakers will skip us and go to Destin as you say. My daughter goes to Alabama and her and her sorority sisters wouldn't be caught drunk...I mean dead here for spring break, so I think you are right on. In a popular college web site TFM, Destin was ranked I think #7 and rising for spring break. I would suggest FWB, they need the tourist cash...seriously, that would be a great trade off, one month of spring break, deal with it and pocket the millions that come with it.

***Like 30A is a highway:)))):lolabove::lolabove:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  12. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

OK so we can't drink alcohol, but can we still wash and bathe in it?

13. Misty

Misty Banned

Thank you Kurt. While I'm sure this is sorta specific to SoWal because of where the beaches are located, it effects those of us who live North of the bridge also. Just as new laws would.

14. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Yes, Misty, it is important that everything revolves around you, and that you comment on things even though you have no comment.

15. Misty

Misty Banned

Actually LVT, my comment abut this issue in particular is under another thread entitled "County considers drinking ban" started by Danny Glidewell. 2 threads same topic. It is what it is.

16. Lake View Too

I just don't get why you have to paint everything in north and south. This forum is called SoWal, ya know. Maybe some issues have little to do with you. Try to rest up and put your breath into matters that count.

17. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

restrictions at seaside.PNG

Plus the above restrictions. Ellen

18. Misty

Misty Banned

And I don't know why some of you from SoWal think that issues that go before the BCC don't effect US as a community!! You and others seem to think the beaches belong exclusively to residents of SoWal and that anyone North of the bridge doesn't have a say in matters affecting Walton County. Thankfully there are only a few folks who live in that dream world.

19. Lake View Too

I personally see it as one County. I'm not the one trying to divide it. This particular subject has little to do with you, so I don't know why you can't just stop commenting on every frocking thing on this website! Give it a rest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  20. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

You two need to get a drink, then a room, then another drink. But not on the beach.

:moon: