• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Thanks, SJ. I will. Just interesting that news stories on any development usually fail to list the names associated with these LLCs. While some wise sages like you and others know who these folks usually are, many don't. The extra transparency might give a more complete picture to the general public. For most, it wouldn't make any difference. Guess this site lists all members for different groups in Florida. Wonder why reporters don't go there and report names? It would add some depth to their stories. Then, the public might know if this group and others has individuals involved in bankruptcy or other legal activities that affect local government. Without names it is impossible to connect some of the dots. Others know much more, so will leave much of this discussion to them. Just wondering.

It's double edged. Either you operate as an entity or you don't. Florida and Walton County mandate qualified business licenses for certain activities. When properly registered, the individual is not the applicant, the entity is. It has its own taxpayer ID and legal status.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Today, with the need for more complete and honest financial disclosure, someone will surely research and reveal possible problems lurking within these organizations. Again, most are certainly fine and upstanding individuals. It just might be good to know for future public spending and planning. With Florida's broad Open Meeting Laws, all this secrecy with LLCs seems less than optimum procedure since they are usually seeking public and governmental action. Some in our area have proven themselves quite adept at meeting a thin legal threshold, while breaking the public trust and occassional law.

Last edited:
Today, with the need for more complete and honest financial disclosure, someone will surely research and reveal possible problems lurking within these organizations. Again, most are certainly fine and upstanding individuals. It just might be good to know for future public spending and planning. With Florida's broad Open Meeting Laws, all this secrecy with LLCs seems less than optimum procedure since they are usually seeking public and governmental action. Some in our area have proven themselves quite adept at meeting a thin legal threshold, while breaking the public trust and occassional law.

SmilingJoe posted the ultimate tool in transparency in Florida. It takes just a minute to check most any organizations ownership interests.

I can tell you from my persepctive that about 7 years ago a complaint was lodged against my construction firm for not having my corporation registered as a corporation. In order to satisfy the Order of the DBPR I had to qualify my corporation and permit in its name instead of my personal name. It took quite a while to perfect their Order.

To this day, every building permit I request is in the name Chambers Street Builders, Inc. and most of the time the County still issues the permit in the name John Carroll anyway. Talk about unneccesary red tape.

When my company permits a job for property I own personally we have to sign a contract with our own company and file a Notice of Commencement with ourself.

noplacelikehome

Beach Comber
Dec 18, 2008
South Walton
Don't you think it is more important to find out the financial disclosures of our public servants rather than individuals or LLCs. That's where the true honesty is hidden and this statement applies more to the pubic servants: "Some in our area have proven themselves quite adept at meeting a thin legal threshold, while breaking the public trust and occasional law," according to dunelaker. Why aren't any of you concerned with our public servants and why so much concern over this matter that is completely full of innuendos
and mistated facts from some of these writers?

Don't you think it is more important to find out the financial disclosures of our public servants rather than individuals or LLCs. That's where the true honesty is hidden and this statement applies more to the pubic servants: "Some in our area have proven themselves quite adept at meeting a thin legal threshold, while breaking the public trust and occasional law," according to dunelaker. Why aren't any of you concerned with our public servants and why so much concern over this matter that is completely full of innuendos

A word to the wise: Unless you're willing to be tarred and feathered for that belief you better keep your identity under cover. Use something like, A Local in Disguise.

waltonco lover

Beach Fanatic
Aug 18, 2008

I'm beginning to think more and more that you have something to do with this project, even if you say no. Is it possible you are wanting to shift the focus to the elected officials because they are the one's that denied it?

I'm not trying to be rude, just stating my thoughts.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
For the record, the applicants' individual names were disclosed at the meetings, and one of the applicants gave testimony. It was public record, though the news articles seem to have left it out for whatever reason. Personally, in this case, I really don't think it matters much.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Noplacelikehome, YOU weren't attacked. You are attacking the County Commissioners without giving any related facts.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Everybody screams about property rights, but they also seem to forget about property responsibility. As SJ said someone could have a pig pen next door to the development and I'm sure that the developers would raise cane over something like that.

Honestly I think it would be hysterical at this point for the county to say go for it, but you've got 2 years to complete the project. This was actually a blessing that they didn't get approval, would they actually even be breaking ground if given the opportunity?

Why make them complete in two years when we are not making others do the same?