• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
Abandoned Beach Crap - Free to a caring home! Original owners need not apply. :D :idontno:

Where there is a will, there is a way! :clap_1:
 
seagrovelover said:
I just read this entire thread and would normally just read and heed.....

but I just wanted to let you all know that we have been renting vacation homes in your area for years and have NEVER had any type of info left in the rental as to what should or should not be left on the beach. To be honest I really didn't know what was right or wrong untill I read it on this board a few years ago. If there was to be a letter hanging on the fridge or something that said please do not leave your tent, chairs,floaties.....on the beach at night we would have done so for sure. Our group always cleaned up our stuff and then put it under the boardwalk so we didn't have to carry it back up to the house( thought that was ok) We do respect the fact that we are in someone's home and that the beaches need to be protected, we simply just didn't know that it was such a big no-no. I am NOT trying to be a smart ass, I was just sitting here thinking why this type if info isn't given to the renters in some homes........Of course now I know better ;-) this board does a wonderful service to all who vacation and live in Sowal :wub:


Ditto Seagrovelover...thanks for the great post. :clap_1:
We have also been "tourist/renters" in Seagrove for more than 15 years...and have never had clear instructions from the owners or rental companies on what is acceptable for leaving chairs, etc. on the beach. (Since Dennis the new signs at the public accesses do clearly state that leaving things on the beach overnight is unlawful and a hazard to turtles...but we just noticed those this year)...We also would do as you did, clean up our area and pile the chairs/umbrellas under the beach stairs overnight. We only did this because we observed the beach chair rental companies stacking their chairs and umbrellas under or near the beachwalks and using wired locks to secure them to the posts! They only used the big white boxes when there was a threat of a storm!

We have also observed some really blatant abuses by owners in this regard...just last year we stayed in a beachside home near One Seagrove Place...not only did an owner of a beachfront home leave a canopy/tent up on the beach over a long weekend...every morning my husband and I would spend time before our walk picking up trash (including glass beer bottles and cig butts) left strewn all around from their nightly parties so our 18 month-old grandson could play on the beach safely!

I have appreciated all of the useful info I've gotten from this board over the years...but I must say, at times being referred to as a "trashy-tourist" makes me stay away and hesitate to post regularly. I do always end up checking back, because for the most part, those of us that don't live where we'd LOVE to live, live somewhat vicariously through SOWAL! :wub:
 
beachma said:
I have appreciated all of the useful info I've gotten from this board over the years...but I must say, at times being referred to as a "trashy-tourist" makes me stay away and hesitate to post regularly. I do always end up checking back, because for the most part, those of us that don't live where we'd LOVE to live, live somewhat vicariously through SOWAL! :wub:

I'm sorry you feel that way. You might be too sensitive. Because you sound like a great person and you should know it if you are. But if some posters make you feel uncomfortable, well shame on them. :nono1:
 
kurt said:
I'm sorry you feel that way. You might be too sensitive. Because you sound like a great person and you should know it if you are. But if some posters make you feel uncomfortable, well shame on them. :nono1:
:oops:
 
Smiling JOe said:
Not poop. It is dirt. However, the phrase, "scare the crap out of something," does often fit when handle animals. They will poop and pee on you if they are trying to escape or frightened, fearing for their life. I have learned to hold them very gently and lovingly when picking them up.

Ohhhhhhhh, J's gonna get it! He said pee instead of tee tee!:shock: Miss Kitty's gonna get you!:biggrin:
 
Beach Crazy said:
Ohhhhhhhh, J's gonna get it! He said pee instead of tee tee!:shock: Miss Kitty's gonna get you!:biggrin:

:funn: ...I actually prefer tinkle!!! Good catch BC!!!
 
As a tourist who loves the beach as much as you locals, i find it ironical that you make no mention or opposition to the locals driving their trucks onto grayton beach. I agree with you that the beach should be preserved. I propose that all vehicles be banned from the beach and I will be happy to lug my stuff off the beach every day. As an old local in a ski area, I too have enjoyed the bashing of tourons as we used to call them. Hurts a little to be on the other side now. Someday maybe i can afford to buy down on the beach.
 
:welcome: Rancid

There has been discussion of driving on the beach before. If you do a search you should find it - it got quite lively.
 
During our beach walks (with our hands full of big bags of crap we've picked up) we've decided that everyone should have to stop at the north side of the bridge for a 5 minute video about littering, beach warning flags, fishing permits. walking on dunes (and anything else a new visitor to SoWal needs to know).

If you're a resident or SoWal property owner or are driving a commercial vehicle, you don't have to stop.

It'll never happen...but it's sure been fun to think about the video script!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top