• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
Why don't you share the names of the companies you see leaving chairs and umbrelllas set up overnight. :idontno: All of the guys who own chair rental businesses here, remove the items daily, and set them up again the next day if necessary.

SJ, I understand where you are coming from, but I just don't think that is feasible. These companies simply don't have the manpower to do that. Those wooden chairs they use are HEAVY. Gathering all of them up every day along 20 miles of beaches, hauling them up stairs and loading them in a truck, only to turn around the next day and do it all over again would be impossible. Just playing the Devil's advocate here.

Again, IMO, this isn't the problem. It is the assortment of personal effects and trash, that when left overnight or longer, is the problem.
 
JB said:
SJ, I understand where you are coming from, but I just don't think that is feasible. These companies simply don't have the manpower to do that. Those wooden chairs they use are HEAVY. Gathering all of them up every day along 20 miles of beaches, hauling them up stairs and loading them in a truck, only to turn around the next day and do it all over again would be impossible. Just playing the Devil's advocate here.

Again, IMO, this isn't the problem. It is the assortment of personal effects and trash, that when left overnight or longer, is the problem.

JB, I understand your concern also. However, during turtle nesting season these chairs and umbrellas left on the beaches overnight cause a problem for the turtles. They are huge obstacles. And in the case the week I was there, in the mornings the chairs would be partially buried in the sand because of the tide coming in. They looked horrible!!!
 
SJ,
Joe that is not what I saw. I was there for three weeks. Those guys did not remove or even break down a single chair nightly. As far as the names,I know of only two. One blue and one green. They are just trying to make a living and are good guys. You know them.

JB,
It is a lot more than 2 chairs and an umbrella. How about several dozen setups in just one location by the chair services.


The point is you will not be able to pick and choose what is ok to be left on the beach. It will be all or nothing. Ultimately, it will be nothing, the county will be renting out the chairs and umbrellas, collecting all of the fees. When that happens you will not be allowed to set up your own stuff with 100 yards in each direction of a life guard stand.


Happy hauling.
 
jdarg said:
I think I have mentioned it before- my bee-yoo-tiful turquoise crank umbrella, size very large, and very nice too, is now ours courtesy of the schmucko that left it on the beach overnight, 2 years ago.

I'm looking for matching chairs- y'all keep your eyes peeled please!


I love it! Bargain beach shopping! :clap_1: Hope the schmucko learned his lesson!
 
When we were at Palms of Seagrove we rented from Chip. Each night he would take up chairs and umbrellas, put them in storage boxes and lock them up. When we arrived on the beach each day, everything had been set up for us with our name on it. Chip seemed to be very responsible and caring for the beaches. He would even pick up trash as he walked up and down the beach. Not to mention he was very friendly and helpful when it came to questions about the area. Just my 2 pennies worth.;-)
 
Rather B. Paddlin said:
SJ,
Joe that is not what I saw. I was there for three weeks. Those guys did not remove or even break down a single chair nightly. As far as the names,I know of only two. One blue and one green. They are just trying to make a living and are good guys. You know them.

JB,
It is a lot more than 2 chairs and an umbrella. How about several dozen setups in just one location by the chair services.


The point is you will not be able to pick and choose what is ok to be left on the beach. It will be all or nothing. Ultimately, it will be nothing, the county will be renting out the chairs and umbrellas, collecting all of the fees. When that happens you will not be allowed to set up your own stuff with 100 yards in each direction of a life guard stand.


Happy hauling.

Like I said, Devil's advocate. No one hates beach clutter more than yours truly.

But......if the independent beach service companies are going to be forced to pickup dozens of sets of chairs/umbrellas scattered along the whole shoreline of Walton County, and do it every evening, then those companies are going to either a) be forced out of business, or b) be forced to charge rates that are so steep, folks will simply buy their own stuff.

If the latter happens, you can bet your bottom dollar it will make the problem worse. Much worse. The 100 yards on either side of any given lifeguard stand constitutes what? Probably less than one percent of the total beach area.

And I don't know about y'all, but I don't like seeing small businesses being forced to go under when there are other ways to address this issue.

Again, just trying to look at the big picture here.
 
Removing the chairs daily is possible for the rental companies. Personally, I know only three people who own chair rental companies, and all three of them remove their chairs daily. The other guys are just being lazy. My thought for the beach vendors is that if you don't have enough staff to handle the work, cut back on the workload by not taking on as many customers.
 
I have two foldable mushroom chairs. Slightly used. These are nice. Photos coming soon. Courtesy of Gulfview Heights and Old Florida beach area. These will come with the original sack and can be yours for a starting bid of $15.oo (shipping not included). All profit goes to Caring and Sharing of South Walton. Do I hear $20!!! Let the bidding begin! :clap_1:
 
Smiling JOe said:
The other guys are just being lazy. My thought for the beach vendors is that if you don't have enough staff to handle the work, cut back on the workload by not taking on as many customers.

My thoughts exactly.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top