• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Just curious about what areas we are really talking about here. Seems like South Walton real estate from Sandestin and Miramar Beach 98 corridor through 30-A would be split out from Destin/FWB over in Okaloosa County. However, guess our real estate numbers were rolled into the Ft. Walton Beach metropolitan statistical area in the past. With the new airport coming in over in Bay County, seems like there might be a difference to be noted over the next few years between South Walton real estate and Okaloosa/Destin real estate. Does Josh call the Sandestin/Miramar Beach area in SoWal/Walton County as Destin/Okaloosa County by mistake?

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Just curious about what areas we are really talking about here. Seems like South Walton real estate from Sandestin and Miramar Beach 98 corridor through 30-A would be split out from Destin/FWB over in Okaloosa County. However, guess our real estate numbers were rolled into the Ft. Walton Beach metropolitan statistical area in the past. With the new airport coming in over in Bay County, seems like there might be a difference to be noted over the next few years between South Walton real estate and Okaloosa/Destin real estate. Does Josh call the Sandestin/Miramar Beach area in SoWal/Walton County as Destin/Okaloosa County by mistake?

I can't remember the zone numbers, but it's something like 14-17 or something like that.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I cannot speak for other people's areas of inclusion, but my reports noted above are strictly for all areas in South Walton, from the Gullf to the Bay, plus a little beyond the intracoastal in Pt Washington.

corkontheocean said:
If the price is listed 20% below recent sales and you can negotiate down another 20%, you've got a hell of a deal.
Since about 95+% of the market is over priced, it isn't surprising to see sales in the neighborhood of 20% less than list price. However, my buyers are finding out the hard way, that the few select listings which are priced correctly, will sell quickly, and often have competing offers coming in, and in some cases, sell at or above full list. If it is priced right, you are wasting your time coming in 20% low. (Again, most of the inventory is off in pricing.)

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Since about 95+% of the market is over priced, it isn't surprising to see sales in the neighborhood of 20% less than list price. However, my buyers are finding out the hard way, that the few select listings which are priced correctly, will sell quickly, and often have competing offers coming in, and in some cases, sell at or above full list. If it is priced right, you are wasting your time coming in 20% low. (Again, most of the inventory is off in pricing.)

Maybe I didn't make my point clear Murray. The point that you make is what I was trying to say - that the list price doesn't mean anything. People can ask what they want and it doesn't mean they'll get it.

What I said was that if the price is listed 20% below recent sales (aka "priced right") and you can negotiate down another 20%, you've got a hell of a deal.

My personal observations have been that in the last couple of years, I've only seen competing offers on lower priced homes (under $250K). We don't have a lot of those on 30A. The Paradise lot that we closed last week was clearly priced right at about 400K less than the comps but my buyer wanted to get a killer deal and the seller still went down another $300K. It was priced right and we didn't wast our time.

Today I closed on a beachfront home in Grayton that was listed at $4,128,000. My opinion was that it was overpriced but the seller had $4.5M into it. We closed it at $3.08M which is well below recent sales. I compted it out at about $3.7 with the most recent sale being a month ago. So my guy got a hell of a deal (about $620K less than what it's worth) albeit over a million less than asking.

Of the 118 sales in areas 17 & 18 in the mls, only 5 sold above asking price. 4 of them were under $100K, one was $275K and one was $625K. Of those 5, three of the buyers paid doc stamps and title and is probably the reason they sold above asking .

All 30a home and condo sales in MLS since 1/1/10

Everyone's personal experiences are different of course but the numbers tell the story and it's not a waste of time if we can save our buyers thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. I make less when they pay less but if I allow a buyer to unknowingly overpay in a declining market, it could destroy them financially and I don't want that on my head.

I totally agree that many properties are overpriced but many of those sellers will come down below market value (as will the ones who are priced right), As I said originally - know a deal when you see it and don't let your ego get in the way. But it's my experience that even properties that are priced right can be bought for less.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
That sales link you posted is a nice tool. What I see with each of the ones which sold above list price is a common trend in DOM (Days on Market). 2, 6, 31, 70 DOM for each of those which are "priced right." In the cases of other sales, which aren't priced so right, they finally chased down the price enough to make the sale, but on the long end, they spent 1316 Days on Market. Again, if they are priced right, when you make a low-ball offer, you may miss out on the opportunity to purchase that particular property, because when they are priced right, they tend to sell quickly.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
cork on the ocean very impressed with your graphs and knowlege. do you have that stat sheet for houses that you just listed for condos for the year 2010?i bet 80% OF ALL THE SALES THIS YEAR ARE SHORT SALES OR REO'S. now the question becomes what happens to all the people who bought at $500-$1000 a square foot from years ago?do they walk also. the new short sale rules going into affext basically protect the homeowner from 1099's and deficiency judgments if the bank agrrs to it.cork the home you said you sold in grayton was it 544 dufiank street? the big one on the right side of the red bar

Last edited by a moderator:

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
I have a question. We have come there for a while and love cruising around and going to an Open House once in a while. Over the years when we have popped into them we have been told by the realtors there that "this is the year to buy." I can remember looking in Watercolor and it was unheard of for anything to be less than 1 million. Quite a few years ago we looked at some houses in Watercolor but off the beaten track of Watercolor. They were charming row house type homes facing a park near the Publix. They were asking maybe a little under 800 and I think they went way down in price. I have heard that the time to buy is now for a long time. What are your opinions? You all seem to know the area so well. Thanks for your advice.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I do think there are some good deals out there and a long overdue reality check on prices is going on.

Can't speak to the benefits of any one area as my criteria/wants/taste/budget are probably quite different from yours. If you could be more specific about your criteria/intended use, it is easier for us to give you feedback.

I believe that part of the reason for the lower prices in the area you mentioned is because of smaller homes and smaller lots, so just make sure you are comparing apples and apples when pricing.

My initial and superficial take is that I think it's a nice little area with some cute homes close to 30-A.

Last edited:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
That sales link you posted is a nice tool. What I see with each of the ones which sold above list price is a common trend in DOM (Days on Market). 2, 6, 31, 70 DOM for each of those which are "priced right." In the cases of other sales, which aren't priced so right, they finally chased down the price enough to make the sale, but on the long end, they spent 1316 Days on Market. Again, if they are priced right, when you make a low-ball offer, you may miss out on the opportunity to purchase that particular property, because when they are priced right, they tend to sell quickly.

Absolutely Murray. A buyer has to know a deal and be willing to act when the price drops. I have two clients that we contacted about significant price drops - one in Rosemary Lofts dropped from $479 to $399 and we told her to move but she didn't. Sadly for our values, when those do sell and the buyer misses it, the price has been reset and it gives us negotiating leverage on ones that have been on the market longer. It also means that other listings in the complex may drop their prices. So yes, we might miss a good deal but I believe that there are still MANY good deals to be had out there. As I mentioned below, this could change quickly.

Every offer is different. There's a time to lowball and a time to know when you've got a killer deal. I was called by another agent who wanted to know why my recent buyer chose the Garfield house. The answer is simple, first money. Second aesthetics but money over all. On both the Paradise lot and the Garfield home, we set a price that would be our top offer. This set price was still a very low price compared to list as it was based strictly on a high projected investment return. By lowballing, we got both properties a couple hundred thousand less than our set point. An investor doesn't care if he loses it and just moves onto another. We are currently looking for unsold blocks of beachfront condos if you know of some but he's not paying anywhere near market price. :nono1: LOL

cork on the ocean very impressed with your graphs and knowlege. do you have that stat sheet for houses that you just listed for condos for the year 2010?i bet 80% OF ALL THE SALES THIS YEAR ARE SHORT SALES OR REO'S. now the question becomes what happens to all the people who bought at $500-$1000 a square foot from years ago?do they walk also. the new short sale rules going into affext basically protect the homeowner from 1099's and deficiency judgments if the bank agrrs to it.cork the home you said you sold in grayton was it 544 dufiank street? the big one on the right side of the red bar

Sure I do ;-) Condos Sold in South Walton Beach
I haven't reviewed the report to be honest cuz I've got a real busy day but my gut is that there's no where near 80% short sales/reos. There were a lot of short sale listings a few months back but my experience has been that the banks just aren't that motivated with the seller still in the home. Also, the list price on a short sales often is not the price that the bank has approved or will take. A while back, there was a fabulous beachfront home that was listed as a short sale. The mortgage was $2 or $3 million and the agent had it listed at $10,999 or something like that. I can't tell you how many people thought that was real. :dunno: The listing agent got activity for sure but I personally don't think it should be allowed. The problem is that often the owner can't even get anybody at the bank to give them a realistic price so they just list what they think the bank might take. IMHO, the banks really aren't that interested in doing short sales. It's the poor owners that are so upside down that want to do them.

The owners that are upside down need to come up with the difference between what they owe and what they sell it for UNLESS the bank agrees to a short sale which means they will transfer title for less than what the current owner owes on the note.

So that's what's happening. The owners owe more than it's worth. Some can't afford to pay their payments due to the economy and bad loans that they've got. Those people are basically SOL if the bank won't do a short sale because they don't have the money to pay the difference btwn the sale price and the note. Many will go into foreclosure but there are tens of thousands of people that haven't paid payments in years and the banks haven't foreclosed yet. The banks may not even have enough info to foreclose because the note has been sold so many times, it's been separated from the mortgage, they haven't got a clue who has the right to foreclose because the note was combined with others and packaged into a securitized financial instrument and sold off in pieces to various investors. It's a mess and smart homeowners shouldn't just roll over.

Then there are people who can afford the home but can walk out and buy the same property for 50-70% of what they owe so they just walk away because it's a bad investment at this point and they make a better one.

The home that we closed on yesterday was 281 Garfield Street, Grayton. It's a perfect example of your question. The home was listed at $6.9 million in May 2006. The seller owed well over a million more than we were willing to pay so he had to pay off or move that debt to another asset to sell the home. Kurt has done a spectacular slide show and virtual tour on the home.

I have a question. We have come there for a while and love cruising around and going to an Open House once in a while. Over the years when we have popped into them we have been told by the realtors there that "this is the year to buy." I can remember looking in Watercolor and it was unheard of for anything to be less than 1 million. Quite a few years ago we looked at some houses in Watercolor but off the beaten track of Watercolor. They were charming row house type homes facing a park near the Publix. They were asking maybe a little under 800 and I think they went way down in price. I have heard that the time to buy is now for a long time. What are your opinions? You all seem to know the area so well. Thanks for your advice.

I can't tell you that this is "the year" to buy sister. I really don't think that this economy is going to be turning around all that quick so I wouldn't make a statement like that. What I will say is that prices continue to decline (you can see that from the hotsheet that I posted a few posts back). We are seeing a couple of increases here and there which is very positive. Also, our inventory has decreased. There is an analysis that can be done which takes the average number of sales against the number of active listings and projects how long our current inventory will take to sell. I haven't done it in a while but I know that a couple of years ago, we had about 5-6 years worth of inventory on the market. I believe the last time I checked, we had about 2 years worth.

My best advice is to have your realtor determine the fair market value based on recent sales and then anticipate further drops in price by paying less than fair market. I can tell you that now is the time that you can get properties for less than market value . I can't say that this is the bottom so be careful and buy right. It could be a very quick shift which may occur after the airport opening. We are all optimistic but really don't know. If that quick shift occurs, then my advise would be different because within a short time, you may not get as much for your money as you are right now.

Regarding the Watercolor phase near the Publix, as Scooter said, watch the land size. They are postage size lots, quite a trek to the beach and in my opinion not as desirable from a resale standpoint as other areas in watercolor or other homes closer to the beach for the same money.

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
In the end, a lot of it is probably coming down to the typical SoWal price point just being too much for enough buyers given current economic conditions. The counties on either side of it are actually in relatively good shape. Pulling the FAR stats for resales:

Okaloosa County single family:
January 2010- 143 sold; median price of $201,400
December 2009- 203 sold; median price of $195,000
January 2009- 118 sold, median price of $188,300

Okaloosa County condo:
January 2010- 70 sold; median price of $270,800
December 2009-101 sold; median price of $242,000
January 2009- 25 sold; median price of $268,800

Bay County Single family:
January 2010- 71 sold; median price of $158,900
December 2009- 94 sold; $165,700
January 2009- 58 sold; median price of $163,300