• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Vending should only be allowed on private property.

Food trucks are not allowed in SoWal because restaurants and resort towns don't want the competition. Think about that.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I suggest you simply go ahead and do what you are used to doing. If someone asks you to move along, go ahead and do so (but never from wet sand, tell them to drop dead if they try to claim wet sand as theirs). The good thing is that this law will "go live" right as July 4 crowds are here, allowing us to learn pretty quickly who is going to be going crazy defending 'their' beach and who isn't.

Yeah this guy down at Vizcaya quoted toward the end.

New Florida law reignites beach access fight in Panhandle

Gulfair

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
The state of Florida has designated the "foreshore" or wet sand area as part of the public trust. You can walk along the shoreline even along private properties. The issue arises when people decide to stop and set up beach equipment on said private properties. How that is handled will likely vary from area to area or even from property to property. My prediction is that this will not be the disaster that the fear mongers are anticipating, but that there will be some property owners that will not allow anything on their property besides walking along the shoreline.

The use of fear mongering and scare tactics has many people in an absolute frenzy and/or panic over the beach. Many beachfront owners are perfectly willing to share, but there is a vast difference between being willing to share and being forced to share, especially without consistent and timely enforcement of rules/ordinances governing the beaches.
Ok... So what changes July 1, 2018 ??

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Sheriff Adkinson video answers to BCC meeting

On trespassing on beach after July 1 2018

Unlike two Atlantic Coast counties with similar beach-access ordinances, Walton County’s ordinance doesn’t follow the requirements of the new law.

Now Walton County is gearing up for more fights.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
From our Sheriffs Facebook page.....
."What I do know is that I cannot in good faith instruct deputy sheriffs to make an arrest for trespassing after warning when I know they cannot be prosecuted. As such, I am directing my deputies not to make arrests for trespass after warning for routine activities such as walking, sitting or transversing the beach. Ultimately, we all have to work together. This is a county that, at the end of the day, the citizens that want to come to use the public beaches and the private property owners who are entitled to the reasonable use and enjoyment of their property have to learn to get along. We have to learn to be good neighbors. I'm optimistic that we can do that." - Sheriff Michael Adkinson on the issue of private property on Walton County Beaches."

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I am going to post this info one more time since I cant find the last time I did..mainly to save it for other peoples information...
177.28 Legal significance of the mean high-water line.—
(1) Mean high-water line along the shores of land immediately bordering on navigable waters is recognized and declared to be the boundary between the foreshore owned by the state in its sovereign capacity and upland subject to private ownership. However, no provision of this part shall be deemed to constitute a waiver of state ownership of sovereignty submerged lands, nor shall any provision of this part be deemed to impair the title to privately owned submerged lands validly alienated by the State of Florida or its legal predecessors.
(2) No provision of this part shall be deemed to modify the common law of this state with respect to the legal effects of accretion, reliction, erosion, or avulsion.
History.—s. 4, ch. 74-56.

Hotzn

Beach Comber
Jun 23, 2017
SRB
Not sure about everyone else but the 1st day of the new or lack of customary use rule seemed to be business as usual. On the west end of 30A we didn't see anything different. No private property/trespassing signs, no property owners chasing people off their beach, no police. Just locals, visitors, friends and families enjoying the beaches just like we always have. The one noticable difference was with the absence of tents and canopies.
Beach ambassadors were at the access asking beachgoers to please use the public portion of the beach or state park if using tents and canopies. Otherwise, be respectful of the beach and property you are on and enjoy the day on the beach.
I can understand property owners not wanting their beachfront full of canopies, loud music and unruly crowds. If we all treat the beach and each other with respect there shouldn't be any issues.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Not sure about everyone else but the 1st day of the new or lack of customary use rule seemed to be business as usual. On the west end of 30A we didn't see anything different. No private property/trespassing signs, no property owners chasing people off their beach, no police. Just locals, visitors, friends and families enjoying the beaches just like we always have. The one noticable difference was with the absence of tents and canopies.
Beach ambassadors were at the access asking beachgoers to please use the public portion of the beach or state park if using tents and canopies. Otherwise, be respectful of the beach and property you are on and enjoy the day on the beach.
I can understand property owners not wanting their beachfront full of canopies, loud music and unruly crowds. If we all treat the beach and each other with respect there shouldn't be any issues.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 402

Beach days

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2017
Freeport
As a homeowner in this community gulf shore manor. I would like to share some documents from a law suit in 1993.I wonder how county would feel if we put signs up and shut down people from coming to our beach. Personally I feel all are welcomed, but also worry about if everyone else shuts people out will it overcrowd us.Now we have naturewalk and the hub using. Not to mention 3 county walk overs and 1 large parking lot at Santa Clara . As the county has built a public parking lot in front of gulf shore manor. Which is a court order for perpetual use for owners in gulf shore manor

Attachments

• IMG_5852.JPG
    IMG_5852.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_5853.JPG
    IMG_5853.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_5854.JPG
    IMG_5854.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 292