• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I just heard that the Judge sided with the County Commission on Customary Use in the first lawsuit. The Alford case. Anybody else have any info? If true, what a victory this is for the people of Florida and those people who visit our great state and especially for the people of Walton County. “This Sand is your sand, this sand is my sand.”

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_831f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_831f.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
No question that the Commissioners listened to the public and mostly gave the public what they requested. There is another hurdle outstanding: Might want to wait to celebrate until the judge rules in the outstanding court cases.

True, but I celebrate every day Customary Use is the Law of the sand in Walton County. Hopefully other coastal counties will quickly follow suit with their own Customary Use ordinances.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
True, but I celebrate every day Customary Use is the Law of the sand in Walton County. Hopefully other coastal counties will quickly follow suit with their own Customary Use ordinances.
I'm celebrating too. My new churro business on the beach is going to be off the hook!
I might even go door to door on the beach with them. Unless they have No Solicitor Signs clearly displayed.

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
I just heard that the Judge sided with the County Commission on Customary Use in the first lawsuit. The Alford case. Anybody else have any info? If true, what a victory this is for the people of Florida and those people who visit our great state and especially for the people of Walton County. “This Sand is your sand, this sand is my sand.”

I don't know what you heard - but the court order states the Judge _declined_ to rule on the issue/complaint as presented. This does not mean he sided with anyone, nor does it mean he upheld Customary Use as is being reported by News Channel 7. I'm surprised a reporter took the bait and peddled fake news.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The beach obstructions amendment is still deemed unconstitutional as written and has to be stricken from county code. The judge ruled on the customary use question, found that the county had authority to approve the customary use ordinance. Individual beachfront property owners can still challenge customary use in court for their specific property.