• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
This peice of PVC glued on a picnic table at Van Ness Butler Elementary looks dangerous to me.
Along with some knocked over stools that go with the table I found a peice of wire sticking up by the swing set.
Who's in charge of checking the playground periodically?

school 003.jpg

Last edited:

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Did you talk to maintenance or the principal? When there is a safety issue that they are aware of they will take care of it. That has been my experience with them. The maintenance & staff are stretched thin and sometimes need to be notified of things.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Did you talk to maintenance or the principal? When there is a safety issue that they are aware of they will take care of it. That has been my experience with them. The maintenance & staff are stretched thin and sometimes need to be notified of things.

momof2kids, property owners in Walton county pay the highest tax ratio to the schools no excuses please.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
We can't expect accountability in the school district. There was none with the math teacher fiasco at South Walton High. There's no one that can be blamed or held accountable because the buck never got here. As far as Butler Elementary School goes, they also "lose" employment applications.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
momof2kids, property owners in Walton county pay the highest tax ratio to the schools no excuses please.

Just because highest taxes are paid doesn't mean the staff knows of every single thing that needs to be fixed. It is helpful when parents get involved and let them know something is broken or a safety issue.

Spend a day there with maintenance and see what they have to do at the elementary school of 900+ students.

I don't have kids there now but when I did and reported something that needed to be fixed the staff made sure it was done and appreciated someone telling them there was an issue

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Just because we have a high tax ratio doesn't mean the schools have an adequate number of personnel to do everything that's needed. Teachers definitely aren't getting the money, the difference in pay for Walton County teachers versus Okaloosa County teachers is embarrassing. A good place to start looking at waste is in the District Office and the way Queen Carlene runs things.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
So now it's up to parents to alert school officials about the condition of our schools?! Why am I not surprised at this? Anything to make excuses for Anderson I suppose.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
So now it's up to parents to alert school officials about the condition of our schools?! Why am I not surprised at this? Anything to make excuses for Anderson I suppose.

If there is a safety issue in ANY place my kids are (or any kids or myself) I alert the staff/management or whoever I need to in order to make sure my kids are safe. To me it's common sense to do it.

What good does it do to come on here and complain if you haven't tried first to let the school know there's a problem? If you have told them & it isn't fixed then complain. Until they know about the issue the kids safety is an issue. If you know there's a problem and don't report it doesn't that make you responsible too if someone gets injured?

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
If there is a safety issue in ANY place my kids are (or any kids or myself) I alert the staff/management or whoever I need to in order to make sure my kids are safe. To me it's common sense to do it.

What good does it do to come on here and complain if you haven't tried first to let the school know there's a problem? If you have told them & it isn't fixed then complain. Until they know about the issue the kids safety is an issue. If you know there's a problem and don't report it doesn't that make you responsible too if someone gets injured?

Not to point fingers but why didn't one of the teachers/staff chaparoneing the children on the playground report the saftey hazards? I'm sure the children have been climbing all over these broken pieces of concrete and sharp PVC for some time.
Thank God no one was injured by the wire sticking up from the ground by the swing set. The photo was submitted in hopes the school might take the initiative to make it a safe place to play.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
BTW, it might also be helpful to call the school by its correct name. The large elementary school on west 30A was not named for Van Ness Butler. His father, who was one of the first educators in South Walton County, yes.