• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The pertinent point is the safety of the children, not the name of the school.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
The pertinent point is the safety of the children, not the name of the school.

Thanks Andy.....:up:

The broken concrete benches and tables have been removed. I'm relieved the playground at "Van R. Butler Elementary" is a safer place for our children. Hopefully periodically maintenance/staff will take the initiative to walk the grounds and check for hazards.

I want to thank SoWal for giving me the opportunity to voice my opinion and getting the message across to whomever this issue needed to be addresssed. :thanks:

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
The point is that safety issues are the responsibility of the schools and the school district. They are NOT situations that need to be corrected by "parent's getting involved". Parenting is an at home responsibility.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Excuse me, meggiemom, but you've got to be kidding! Parents should always be involved where their children are concerned, whether at school, in the community, in sports or, as you maintain, at home. My parents were more concerned with what I did away from home than at home. My butt was sore more than once when my dad found out I had done something wrong in public or at school. My children learned the same lessons. Parenting is an individual endeavor but, in my estimation, it was done much more successfully in past days than at present. I realize this is only my opinion but a look at much of what transpires with today's youth bears it out. And yes, there are great kids out there and they are a boon to society. Just my thoughts.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Excuse me, meggiemom, but you've got to be kidding! Parents should always be involved where their children are concerned, whether at school, in the community, in sports or, as you maintain, at home. My parents were more concerned with what I did away from home than at home. My butt was sore more than once when my dad found out I had done something wrong in public or at school. My children learned the same lessons. Parenting is an individual endeavor but, in my estimation, it was done much more successfully in past days than at present. I realize this is only my opinion but a look at much of what transpires with today's youth bears it out. And yes, there are great kids out there and they are a boon to society. Just my thoughts.

I believe I said SAFETY issues. Am I as a parent supposed to go to my child's school and inspect the building and grounds for hazards? I'm not sure I'd be allowed to be the safety police.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
That sounds a little contradictory. That is just my opinion.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
We should all be concerned about the safety, well being, and education of the children in our community.

"It isn't my responsibility/job" is what is wrong with our country.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
The point is that safety issues are the responsibility of the schools and the school district. They are NOT situations that need to be corrected by "parent's getting involved". Parenting is an at home responsibility.

For all you self anointed "experts" on parenting where exactly does Meggiemom say that she isn't involved in her children's activities? I interpret this to mean that it isn't parent's responsibility to tend to safety issues at the schools. When my children were in school, I didn't spend a lot of time at the schools during school hours. I went to their ball games etc. But I assumed there were competent people in charge of the schools and maintained a safe environment.