• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2005
Colleyville, TX
After being here over the past couple of decades, I thought I’d seen everything this surf has to offer, but this coffee black water is a new one. I assume it’s outflow from the lakes after all the rain/storms? Does it last only a day or two, or weeks? Very different from the red algae, the seaweed etc.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Probably just runoff from the flooding. It will last until the runoff slows.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
This brown water will last forever. I suggest everybody move away. I'll stay here and monitor the situation.

Imperialegg

Beach Comber
Aug 9, 2018
Inlet Beach, FL
After being here over the past couple of decades, I thought I’d seen everything this surf has to offer, but this coffee black water is a new one. I assume it’s outflow from the lakes after all the rain/storms? Does it last only a day or two, or weeks? Very different from the red algae, the seaweed etc.
This is normal after windy stormy seas happening over multiple days. I don't even think this is caused completely by tannins, maybe 30%. I've been here for 2 years and the sea is grey or dark for most of the entire winter season, usually starting around Dec and ending around March. I always thought it was caused by high winds causing high waves and constant churned water couple with storms that happen almost all winter long.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Yikes! Oh well, I'll have to break the drought! Have people been fishing?
Yes. I've heard about some Redfish being caught but that's about it. Conditions are still a little tough from the shore right now.