• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
So you think that trimming $6000 from the State's annual budget is due to the bad economy? There are real things to cut from the State Budget, but this isn't one. The County has been considering other properties for purchase, because it feels the need to have more accesses to the very thing which brings people to this area -- the beach. Money is tight, so they have passed, but if real cost of operating this Park is $6,000 per year, I think the County would jump at the chance to keep this Park open, even if it meant paying for the cost. The TDC will spend more than that on running a couple of ads.

I'm in Deer Lake State Park regularly and the most activity I've ever witnessed were two lovers in Speedo's holding hands. Generally, there's not a person to be seen in the park. I don't get the need to keep the place open - it'll look exactly the way it always looks ... vacant.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Deer Lake State Park is one of Walton County's greatest assets. No telling how many people have bought and will buy property in South Walton because of the availability of this park. The purchase of just one home a year probably more than pays the $6000 per year purported cost. In this competitive market, a visitor may choose to stay in Walton County or Florida because of the beautiful and unique experience Deer Lake provides. A day doesn't pass when I go to Deer Lake in the summer that I don't see families enjoying the expanse of open beach or the glory of the preserved dunes. Certainly there are always a few strollers along the beach from adjacent neighborhooods that linger and enjoy the unique natural environment throughout the year. There is even remnants of a shipwreck just off shore, although most of it has been worn away. To be able to see how the beaches looked when native peoples were here thousands of years ago is just priceless. One can only imagine the artifacts buried beneath those dunes.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I'm in Deer Lake State Park regularly and the most activity I've ever witnessed were two lovers in Speedo's holding hands. Generally, there's not a person to be seen in the park. I don't get the need to keep the place open - it'll look exactly the way it always looks ... vacant.

Fulltime, you are missing the point: the fact that it is open, secluded, and looks as all of Sowal did years ago is exactly why it must be kept open!

Either you are just being difficult, or you just don't get it!:D

I intend to do everything possible to keep it open so that many people in Walton County who do not own gulf front are able to enjoy what's left of the dunes...not to speak of all the visitors who as Dunelaker says above, choose to come here because of the beauty of the park.

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
Fulltime, you are missing the point: the fact that it is open, secluded, and looks as all of Sowal did years ago is exactly why it must be kept open!

Either you are just being difficult, or you just don't get it!:D

I intend to do everything possible to keep it open so that many people in Walton County who do not own gulf front are able to enjoy what's left of the dunes...not to speak of all the visitors who as Dunelaker says above, choose to come here because of the beauty of the park.

The Park will be better preserved without human disruption. Grayton Beach and Topsil are beautiful in their own right and more than sufficient for people to enjoy "whats left of the dunes". I'm not being difficult, but if the State says it needs to close the Park for budgetary reasons, so be it. Our property taxes are a much bigger threat to the viability of this area than the closure of one of the parks.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Walton County is really blessed with the spacing of parks along our beautiful Beaches of South Walton. Many residents and visitors staying along the beach on the East end can just walk to Deer Lake and Grayton or have only a short commute by bike or car. Who knows, we may get a trolley again. Further West, serving another large clientele is Topsail Hill State Park. More densely populated Sandestin and Miramar Beach are close feeders for that park. Others spread around offer a varied vacation and tax generating business mileau. The tax paying citizens north of the beach certainly will continue to enjoy the beaches in the future as they have in the past. Many more will appreciate not being crowded into just one or two public beach choices. Deer Lake is only about 15 - 20 minutes from the new airport in western Bay County. This area is certainly primed for growth as well as any place can be in Florida. The viability of this area will be improved by those with a vision for the future and respect for the past while considering multiple economic and environmental factors. Closing Deer Lake State Park, which includes a coastal dune lake, would be unwise for Walton County and Florida taxpayers.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It means I have never seen South Walton this quiet and I am by no means new to the area. It means that lack of activity is probably a glimpse into what is occurring all over the State, maybe the country. It means that the State evidently feels that it needs to trim costs from its budget given the economic environment. It means that the State feels that two other public parks in the same county are sufficient to meet the recreational needs of the populace and tourists that will visit this area. I doubt seriously that closure of that particular park is going to have any significant effect on any local who would like to visit that particular beach.

Based on the issues with public vs. private beaches I would say that altogether our 19 miles of beaches isn't enough. This isn't about usage it's about money and possibly politics.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The Park will be better preserved without human disruption. Grayton Beach and Topsil are beautiful in their own right and more than sufficient for people to enjoy "whats left of the dunes". I'm not being difficult, but if the State says it needs to close the Park for budgetary reasons, so be it. Our property taxes are a much bigger threat to the viability of this area than the closure of one of the parks.

You say that you are worried about property taxes, however if this park closes it decreases the overall public lands for people to use. This makes South Walton gulf frontage smaller and therefore more rare and valuable. What happens to the value of property when it becomes more scarce?

P.S. Based on the estimated population of Florida during 2006 the per person cost would be $.00003.

http://www.classbrain.com/artstate/publish/article_1230.shtml

2005 estimate of population would be $.12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walton_County,_Florida

Go ahead dig deep, if you can't come up with it I'll be happy to throw in your share.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If they would spend the money they are going to spend on lawyers on marketing the public beaches we already have, the issue would be moot.

The BCC, as far as I understand, cannot market. Hence the TDC. I'm not 100% on that fact, but you're the politician so maybe you can shed some light on it.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Yep. But I was just given dates when the photographer would be in town which was Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday was a better day. We couldn't do it on the beach because it was too windy, but the dunes, I think, will show as a good backdrop. Deer Park is an exceptional creation of Nature. The possibilty of having it developed to save thousands of dollars a year seems a crime of thought. I'd feel ashamed to see anything go over the top of those dunes and to be honest, I'd lose faith in the area. I guess living here a long time you have seen a lot change with develoment, but for me, it would be a travesty.