• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I understand this is a small park? I have only been there once and there was very little there a bathrooma nd boardwalk if i remember. Maybe we could talk to the park service and see if the Grayton Beach park people could send some one down there twice a day to open the park and then close it and move the land under the Point Washington forest rangers to manage the maintance of the area. This would save money on the care taker there and still being paid to live there when the park would be closed. Or maybe the TDC could contract the park fromthe state for the use and maintance of it??
The boardwalk is beautiful. You can ride your bike all the way to the beach. Unfortunately, daughter wiped out on one of the curves on the walkover. We can still see where she hit the rail. OOPS!

Last edited:

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
The boardwalk is beautiful. You can ride your bike all the way to the beach. Unfortunately, daughter wiped out on one of the curves on the walkover. We can still see where she it the rail. OOPS!

I also love this park. Be careful publicly advocating riding all the way to the beach. To provide for all sorts of visitors, pedestrians, wheelchairs, etc., there is a rule agaisnt riding one's bike on the boardwalk.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If the state won't maintain the park as such, they should pass it back to Walton County if the county will guarantee it will be kept as a public beach area. They did that when they decided they didn't want to keep rebuilding Navarre Beach SP every time it got whupped by a hurricane and passed responsibility for it back to Santa Rosa County.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
The county could enhance this state park, imo, by adding some parking and bathrooms at the public beach just to the west it already owns. It is a fairly wide public beach area with no public restroom facilities anywhere nearby. Then, if the public wanted to walk down the beach and enjoy the open, natural area of Deer Lake beach, they could. Would be a great place for handicap access, parking and boat launch, too. For those too old to walk to the beach anymore, they could enjoy the sunset from their car.

Last edited:
The county could enhance this state park, imo, by adding some parking and bathrooms at the public beach just to the west it already owns. It is a fairly wide public beach area with no public restroom facilities anywhere nearby. Then, if the public wanted to walk down the beach and enjoy the open, natural area of Deer Lake beach, they could. Would be a great place for handicap access, parking and boat launch, too. For those too old to walk to the beach anymore, they could enjoy the sunset from their car.
My photo is taken from before the 2005 hurricane season. They didn't rebuild the handicapped access.

Where is the road access to the area you're talking about? I know Deer Lake Park entrance between Watersound Beach and Watersound West Beach. Is it West of West Beach back down Lakewood?

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Another nail in the coffin of Promenance as their beach access was to have been through Deer Lake Park via a Jittney (sp?) service as I understood it.

Another nail in the coffin of Promenance as their beach access was to have been through Deer Lake Park via a Jittney (sp?) service as I understood it.

I remember talking to JOE planning and development execs in 2001 who were certain that the Prominence Piece would wind up being sold to them. It looks to me like JOE is pulling strings to finalize the winding down of T. Henry's and J. Lowder's plans for Prominence.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Where is the road access to the area you're talking about? I know Deer Lake Park entrance between Watersound Beach and Watersound West Beach. Is it West of West Beach back down Lakewood?

Yes. You turn off 30A onto Lakewood. Continue straight on Lakewood after the stopsign. Then you take a right after the curve toward the beach. That entire open beach area is a county park. Lots of possibilities, but still keep it toned down. There is only public parking along the right of way of the road now. I do believe the large area to the north of the road there is also part of the county park. It could handle a bathroom and a little parking.