• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
With the enormity of the state's budget, it's hard to imagine that closing one tiny little state park will have ANY useful impact whatsoever. Let's don't use the small government argument as a proxy for opening up that property to development.

TreeFrog, although I realize that this is a small amount, but the State is cutting area that are of more concern to me than saving a park. Both State and local governments have had to make cuts. I would prefer that all these parks stay open, and I although I appreciate that there are some who don't have a problem with paying for this through their tax dollars, I really don't see this as the most important issue facing the state. We have special needs kids and home bound folks who chose not to be placed in a nursing home, but the state has cut funding for in home health care service. It cost more to place a person who only needs assistance in home than placing them in a nursing home. Their are those who feel we over spend on schools, and are happy with reducing wasteful spending, or spending in general. We find the state reducing the amount of monies back to local governments, so that burden falls to the local taxpayer. Well, we have local government officials who want to purchase propert in the county when we should be avoiding wasteful spending and taking property off the tax rolls. People before property when it comes to tax cuts.:D

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
From the SWCC:

Dear SWCC Member,

I have received several emails and phone calls expressing concern about the potential closure of Deer Lake State Park. I have spoken with both local park officials and the state about the proposal. At the end of this email is a public memo provided by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. (FDEP)

Here is a synopsis of what I have been told or found through research. As we all already know, the state is experiencing a financial crunch and must cut expenses. In an effort to cut expenses yet retain employees, 19 parks are being proposed for a temporary closure. Eight of the 19 parks slated for closure are in the Florida Panhandle. Here is a geographic breakdown of the proposed closures using the FDEP park region designations:

NW FL (16 counties) 33 parks total 8 to be closed 24% proposed closure of total parks in region
NE FL (17 counties)39 parks total 4 to be closed 10%
Central (13 counties) 26 parks 3 to be closed 12%
SW FL (13 counties 32 parks 2 to be closed 6%
SE FL (8 counties) 23 parks 2 to be closed 9%

According to state officials, Deer Lake is being proposed for closure on the basis that (1) it receives a small amount of use relative to the expenses of operating it and (2) it generates no revenue. This rationale is disturbing. One problem is that there is no documentation by which to ascertain how much the park is in fact being used. Deer Lake State Park does not have a visitation kiosk in which users can register. In the other parks, (Topsail, Grayton, Eden, etc) there is a day fee with a registration form. In essence, as was acknowledged by the state, there are no actual records which quantify public use of this park. It is being estimated and assumed it is not well used.

Secondly, I was initially told the operating budget for Deer Lake was around $44,000. I have received a copy of the breakdown of the operating expenses for Deer Lake for 2007-08. It breaks down as follows:

Expense Breakdown Amt. (Approx)

Phone Bills $349.33
Freight 10.00
Repairs $1,455.96
Electric Bill 605.72
Water & Sewer 242.04
Road Maintenance 610.24
Minor Tools 297.46
Parts & Fittings 157.69
Gas 1,675.43
Field Supplies 275.09
Uniform 75.00

TOTAL: $5,753.87

I have received further confirmation that it costs $5,753.87 to operate the park. Note: Grayton Beach State Park maintains Deer Lake Park and provides ranger service.

The other parks in the area charge a day fee which helps defray some of the operating expenses. While there is some discussion of assessing a day fee to help with Deer Lake in the future, according to the state officials I have spoken to, there does not appear to be any discussion of assessing a day fee as an alternative to closure. In other parks, the day fee works off an ?honor? box. No ranger is needed to collect the fee.

If in fact the operating expenses are so minimal, it would seem the imposition of a day fee and/or a fundraising drive could produce the funds to keep the park open. The closing of a gulf front park with its contribution to tourism and local year-round use should be a last resort if alternatives to help cover the operating costs are not possible. I would be interested in knowing whether our membership would be willing to pay a day fee (typically $2-3) to use the park. Please give me your thoughts.

The timing and procedure work like this: FDEP must make a recommendation of closure to the Governor?s office. If the Governor approves the closures, the proposal must go to the state legislature. The legislative session is from February through May 1st. A decision must be made during that time frame. If the state legislature votes to adopt the FDEP proposal, the closing could take place the first of July with no fixed expiration. The park will be re-opened when it is deemed financially feasible.

Some fear has been expressed as to whether Deer Lake State Park may ultimately be sold to a private purchaser. The normal procedure for sale of a park would work like this: Title to the park is held in trust. The Trustee is the Board of Trustees of the Internal Improvement Trust Fund. The Florida Division of State Lands is the administering agency for the Trustees. Parks and Recreation (P & R) manages the parks.

The first step in selling a park would be for P & R to determine that the park serves no conservation or other public purpose and recommend it be designated as ?surplus? land. Before it is considered for surplus, a notice is sent to other state agencies and the county to determine if any other entity would want the parcel. If no one responds affirmatively, the parcel is released to the Trustees and goes before the ARC (Acquisition and Restoration Council). That committee decides whether the park should be surplused. The public can speak at the ARC meeting. The notice of the meeting is on the FEDP website.

If the ARC decides to surplus the park parcel, a notice for bids must be given to property owners within 500? and a notice will be given in the newspaper although the statute provides ?(4) Failure to provide the notice as set out in subsections (1) and (3) shall not invalidate the sale, exchange, lease, or easement.?

I cannot yet verify whether this is the procedure that would have to be used for Deer Lake State Park. Deer Lake is subject to an agreement between several agencies and St. Joe and I don?t know if the documents cover discontinuance of Deer Lake as a park.

The Division of Lands has assured me there is no intent to sell Deer Lake State Park. In addition to providing a wonderful ?old Florida? experience for locals and visitors, an important function of the park was to provide habitat for endangered species. Undoubtedly there would be a large public outcry if Deer Lake State park were offered for sale.

>From the emails and phone calls I have received, I am aware that there are those who uses the park on a regular basis. Public input should be directed to the governor?s office and FDEP.

The Governor?s email address is: Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com His mailing address is:

▪ Office of Governor Charlie Crist
State of Florida
PL-05 The Capitol
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001

FDEP accepts only letters into the official records.

Therefore, you must send a letter to:

Mr. Mike Bullock
Director, Florida State Parks
3900 Commonwealth Blvd.
Mailstation 500
Tallahassee, FL 32399

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Where is the water, sewer, and electricity cost coming from? My understanding that the self sustaining composting solar powered toilet on premises didn't need those three things and was great for remote (when it was installed the park was remote) areas. Is this a breakdown of what the ranger at Grayton needs for housing and due to maintaining Deer Lake it is in turn due some of that for budgeting purposes?

In addition, what if those monies are raised privately and donated to the State, would they be able to accept it and keep the park open?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I cannot yet verify whether this is the procedure that would have to be used for Deer Lake State Park. Deer Lake is subject to an agreement between several agencies and St. Joe and I don?t know if the documents cover discontinuance of Deer Lake as a park.

Which leaves the possibility that a sale to St. Joe is already lined up, wouldn't you think...

Sure would be nice to see these agreements, wouldn't it?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
any agreement should be available under the public records law.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I went today. One vehicle was leaving as I arrived, another was there. I walked to the beach, enjoying the dunes along the way. Yes, $44,000... no way! The $5,700 seems more like it. I actually am scheduled to go there tomorrow to take some pics for a magazine article. I go there several times a month and have brought people there who are visiting the area. The dunes there are exquisite. Makes me ponder how beautiful this entire coast was at one time. It's almost difficult to imagine the immensity of that kind of beauty.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
You should've taken pictures today. Looks like it's gonna rain for the next couple of days.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Geez, surely we could set up an annual fundraiser event or drive sufficient to come up with $5700 a year...
I'd be willing to forego a blue sign or 2 (or 3) and put that $ towards keeping a park open. :D

I will be SOOOOOOO pissed if St. Joe or another developer takes/buys this park!!!! :angry:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'd be willing to forego a blue sign or 2 (or 3) and put that $ towards keeping a park open. :D

I will be SOOOOOOO pissed if St. Joe or another developer takes/buys this park!!!! :angry:

I don't have a problem with it if they are given a restrictive deed requiring the park remain as is. :D