• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
It isn't just tourist, I paid my unfair $30.00 ticket. The reason for the ticket "too close to a stop sign". The space that I have parked at for years is not marked "no parking" but "Do not block the roadway" all four tires were off of the road. The Sheriff told me that the "residents hate ya'll" however this is my deeded access I live in Beach Highlands on the North side of 30A and have been paying my property taxes for years. It is dangerous for cars to park up and down Highland, that is a blind hill and I don't blame anyone for not wanting cars on the road but these tickets are ridiculous. I didn't feel like it was worth the drive to DeFuniak Springs to fight nor did I notice that option and I paid it but if I get another one we may have to look at reclaiming that entire parking area which before it was landscaped could park more cars. It is sad when folks move in and have this all mine attitude, hopefully they won't stay for long and move to one of those nice gated neighborhoods where the riff raff won't bother them. My husbands bike was stolen (it wasn't worth stealing) from the access at Highland and Bullard also there has been kitty litter, thorns etc..put in the path to the beach, sounds like someone is nuts.

Your absolutely correct there are some residents with issues on that street.....and the sheriff department does knows it! Again...they think "they" own the accesses! I also have used that neighborhood access for many years and have noticed more posts and some chains being placed strategically to prevent parking. This is why I'm expressing the deputies write warnings until the assessment/evaluation study is performed in the area. Hopefully we will have parking spaces designed so we can enjoy those particular beach accesses in the future. Ryan Douglas (public works) has assured me the assessment/evalution is currently in motion. Starting with cutting back some of the vegetation on either sides of the road would be a start. As you know talk is cheap, lets hope he steps up to the plate.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think we need to find a balance between the needs of access users and those who live near them.

Often I see ahole parking jobs and wish those people would get tickets or towed. Not just at beach accesses, but at stores, restaurants, and in communities. Just because you can physically put a car or golf cart there, doesn't mean it is a legitimate parking space.

But people who pitch a fit about courteous and respectful use of a neighborhood access, put up fake signs, and create safety hazards lose any support or sympathy.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Why can't the PUBLIC park on PUBLIC property? I'm somehow getting a disconnect there.

As someone who bought a house where previous owners ran the sprinkler system lines under the public right of way part of our yard, and who spent part of yesterday replacing sprinkler heads that other random idiots have hit with their cars, I can see having reason to want a no-parking zone in front of one's house.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
As someone who bought a house where previous owners ran the sprinkler system lines under the public right of way part of our yard, and who spent part of yesterday replacing sprinkler heads that other random idiots have hit with their cars, I can see having reason to want a no-parking zone in front of one's house.

Beachmouse...not to get into a sandkicking fight but technically you don't own that property and that's the problem, some homeowners "think" they do.
My argument is the county needs to buck up and take the right of ways back! With the assesment/evaluations for parking supposingly taken place this could happen!
If someone swerves to avoid an accident and runs over a piling placed by a homeowner who is responsible for the damage? Do we as tax payers pay?

ktape

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2007
They are county right of ways after all. The idea that they are considering requiring more parking for homes and businesses while prohibiting parking on the county right of ways in some neighborhoods, while allowing it in the big developments smacks of administrative favoritism.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Beach Highlands is far worse. One of the idiots who thinks they live in a gated community has actually built his house in the public right of way. To spell that out:

This person has stolen property from every tax paying citizen in Walton county.