• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Dining Alone

New posts
I'm lucky if I can read the label on my beer while I'm at a bar.
 
Sueshore said:
Reading is NOT pathetic BR!!!!! I find a good book or article very good company!!!
Reading is not pathetic. Reading while dining is pathetic according to some "Things Not To Do While Dining" lists that I've read. Apparently, a person reading while dining appears uncomfortable in his/her own skin, as well as anti-social.
 
Beach Runner said:
Reading is not pathetic. Reading while dining is pathetic according to some "Things Not To Do While Dining" lists that I've read. Apparently, a person reading while dining appears uncomfortable in his/her own skin, as well as anti-social.

That's weird...who makes up these "rules"? Love being in my skin and am hardly considered anti-social...and I enjoy reading something at times if I eat out alone. Beats staring at the wall! Well, except that one time I ate French onion soup at a cafe, alone, sitting outside in Paris...that was a delight to look at the passersby!
 
Beach Runner said:
Reading is not pathetic. Reading while dining is pathetic according to some "Things Not To Do While Dining" lists that I've read. Apparently, a person reading while dining appears uncomfortable in his/her own skin, as well as anti-social.

I think a comfortable person does what they please disregarding any written rules. Maybe your guide of Things not to do while dining works for Atlanta, but at the beach? give me a break sorority girl.
 
I take the exact opposite stance. I HATE eating at the bar, even when I'm with girlfriends. Nothing could persuade me to make conversation with a bartender, just for the sake of having someone to talk to so I don't look "pathetic." But give me a table and a book and I'm happy! In Europe it's a great tradition to sit at a table and watch the world go by, book and/or pen and paper at the ready. As Sueshore mentioned, it's a wonderful way to enjoy a dinner alone. The solitude of good food and good reading is very welcoming to me (though I am very happy to chatter the dinner away if I have company :funn: )
 
Just the thought of sitting by myself in a restaurant with good food, a nice glass of wine, something interesting to read, and the peace and quiet to enjoy all 3 makes me want to.....GO OUT TO DINNER BY MYSELF TONIGHT! A restaurant would be the only place the stars and moons would align for this kind of bliss to happen for me. Certainly not at home!
 
jdarg said:
Just the thought of sitting by myself in a restaurant with good food, a nice glass of wine, something interesting to read, and the peace and quiet to enjoy all 3 makes me want to.....GO OUT TO DINNER BY MYSELF TONIGHT! A restaurant would be the only place the stars and moons would align for this kind of bliss to happen for me. Certainly not at home!
Be sure to take your book. :D
 
You guys are so BRUTAL. But I love you. And I'd rather talk than read. I do enough reading for my job just to keep current in computer science that reading anything while dining is the last thing I'd want to do.

Just this week I've read enough to teach myself XML, SMIL, SVG, MathML, XHTML, WAP, and WML.

BTW SJ I'm not a sorority girl - I was a GDI (God Dam_ed Independent) at Tulane. :D
 
Last edited:
Taking the big risk of disrupting a pretty strong thread drift...

Don't forget Shades at the Loop for bar dining, or the sushi bar at Old Florida Fish house.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top