• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

clarela

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2011
So for our food tour this week, wanted to comment since we use this forum for recommendations on where to dine:

First, although this is my wife's account i'll post my thoughts. We are Arkansans, so we love southern style food.

We are also breakfast/dinner eaters here in Sowal, as we usually do a light lunch coming in off the beach.

Arrived Saturday and did Flip Flops for lunch. It was very good as usual, I had the Gorgonzola burger and the wife had a regular. While the buns tend to fall apart, they are very good. You can go wrong with a quick lunch from here. 8/10.

Saturday Night - Take out from Gravel Road. To me, this place is the most underrated place on 30A. They have their own twist on southern food, mainly that it is typically fresher and a little less starchy and doughy. I absolutely love this place. I had the chicken fried steak with green bean casserole and the wife had the ribeye with sweet potatoes. Everything was perfect. Keylime cheesecake was out of this world. 11/10.

For breakfast the past two days, we went to Don Pedros. I noticed that the prices have jumped a little but there is one way to describe this place. Simple but wonderful. IMO, the best breakfast on 30A by far. The food is always perfectly cooked. Had the chiliqueles yesterday and eggs Benedict today. Pancakes, scrambled eggs and all the sides for the rest. 11/10. I will have to say that I would put the eggs Benedict at 8/10, it was good but not their speciality. Still really good.

Maries. This place is simply phenomenal. It's as everything that people have been mentioning. Wife had shrimp in a white wine butter sauce and she just lauded how wonderful it was. I had the ribeye special. That said - the best part of the meal was the dinner salad. I don't know what the salad dressing was exactly, but it was the best salad ever. Extremely fresh with lots of taste. 11/10.

Tonight for dinner - ShooMamas. Neither my wife or I are big fish eaters, but I went for the fish taco ( notice I didnt say tacos, it's one big taco on a 12 inch tortilla). This was some of the best fish I've tasted. Tons of flavor with the mango salsa. Wife had the shrimp plate and said it was great as well. She had two margaritas, I had two yuenglings and the kids had kids meals. Great value. 9/10.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
It all sounds good. I have been wanting to try Marie's. Stuff always happens and gets in the way. Will try it for sure in October. Thanks for the reviews.

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Thanks for the reviews! I will have to try some of these. I get stuck on going to the same places that I love and forget to try the new ones!

wadecool

Beach Lover
Jul 17, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
We will be down in three weeks and cannot wait! DW loves Gravel Road, so that's already on our dinner list, but we will try Maries and ShooMamas. We typically eat at the Donut Hole or get donuts from Charlies truck, but I'm looking forward to trying Don Pedros as well. Thanks for posting these reviews.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
I haven't eaten at the other places -- although they are all on my list! -- but I love Don Pedro's. The food is always fresh, a little bit different from the usual "Mexican" fare and reasonably priced. Thanks for the reviews!