• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Yeah yeah, and wouldn't it be great if they would also have a small movie theater that shows non-blockbuster movies!

Um, that wasn't sarcasm. That was enthusiasm. I have long wished someone would open a small theater here and bring in good, small films that we have no chance of ever seeing at the megaplexes east and west of here.

dgsevier

Beach Fanatic
Um, that wasn't sarcasm. That was enthusiasm. I have long wished someone would open a small theater here and bring in good, small films that we have no chance of ever seeing at the megaplexes east and west of here.

The small art-house theater here (about 80 seats) does great business. Maybe because they have a great wine selection and a killer sushi bar? With enough wine you probably don't care about the subtitles.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

A drive-in movie would be great!

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
I believe she is a member of the Planning Comission
Posted via Mobile Device

That is correct. But I do not represent the PC, I am not a spokesperson for the PC or any other agency or board or whatever of the county.

And FWIW, since I have noticed that a lot of people do not seem to realize this: unlike School Board members and County Commissioners, we Planning Commissioners do not receive any compensation whatsoever for our voluntary public service. Speaking only for myself, based on the hours and hours of study and research in addition to meeting times, I can state confidently that serving on the PC costs me substantially in terms of the amount of time it takes away from my earning activities. I work pretty hard at this and do a lot of research and studying outside meetings, seeking to do the best job I possibly can.

I don't mind the cost, I am happy to be able to do this. It is just that sometimes people come to PC meetings and start fuss at us like we are getting paid big tax dollars to sit there and get yelled at. I understand and often share citizens' frustration with the way things get done -- or don't get done -- in Walton County, and I am doing the best I know how to make it better for us all. I invite all who are displeased to get involved and become part of the solution.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
and thank you for your service to our community, and for your work on the Planning Commission, Susan Horn!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
That is correct. But I do not represent the PC, I am not a spokesperson for the PC or any other agency or board or whatever of the county.

And FWIW, since I have noticed that a lot of people do not seem to realize this: unlike School Board members and County Commissioners, we Planning Commissioners do not receive any compensation whatsoever for our voluntary public service. Speaking only for myself, based on the hours and hours of study and research in addition to meeting times, I can state confidently that serving on the PC costs me substantially in terms of the amount of time it takes away from my earning activities. I work pretty hard at this and do a lot of research and studying outside meetings, seeking to do the best job I possibly can.

I don't mind the cost, I am happy to be able to do this. It is just that sometimes people come to PC meetings and start fuss at us like we are getting paid big tax dollars to sit there and get yelled at. I understand and often share citizens' frustration with the way things get done -- or don't get done -- in Walton County, and I am doing the best I know how to make it better for us all. I invite all who are displeased to get involved and become part of the solution.
First of all, may I echo SJ's thanks for your service to Walton County. I realize how much work serving on a planning commission is and how frustrating it can be at times having to deal with us citizens because at one time I served on a planning commission. Again, thank you for serving.
I have one suggestion. Some of the planning commissioners have served for a very long time, I am told, and possibly "some new blood" is in order. Just a suggestion for consideration by any County Commissioners who might be lurking, and no, I am not interested in serving.