• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
J

jeremy S

Anyone bought a D.R. Horton home? I've seen some and they are quite bland with no trees but I guess people want a place to Netflix and chill?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Anyone bought a D.R. Horton home? I've seen some and they are quite bland with no trees but I guess people want a place to Netflix and chill?

They are bland, but that's up to the new homeowner to change.

The thing to understand about DR Horton is that they don't build homes in the traditional sense, they use contractors and depending on the contractor that built your home you may or may not be happy with it.

My general recommendation for a DR Horton home is to buy it new and sell it before 10 years hits.

The biggest issue I've seen with home buyers is that they want it all right now. What I mean is that you have a freshly married couple recently out of college and rather than purchasing a 2 or 3 bedroom starter home, they want a full mansion with all the bedrooms and amenities they could ever dream of. Start small and start building equity instead of complaining that nothing's affordable and throwing money away on an apartment with a "trash concierge".

UpNorth

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2024
North
They are what they are. If you just want a place to live, they’re a good fit. If you want something fancy, exclusive, high quality, etc, there’s better options.

You can’t take the Horton home for $400k because the higher quality stuff is $125k higher, and then complain about quality related issues. Or I guess you can, but if you wanted quality you could have paid more for it.

I saw Prominence mentioned earlier in this thread and I’m curious if anyone knows how that’s turned out. I heard they were trying to give away the last few units for like $350k and could barely move them. Also that there are a few issues being litigated right now with the HOA, but all in all those seemed to have turned out OK for what they were designed to be.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I purchased a new DR Horton home in 2007 in Miramar Beach and was very happy with it.
Any issues were immediately addressed.
After living there for almost ten years DR Horton completely redid the master shower at no cost to me with new everything because the subcontractor used the wrong backer board. I didn’t even realize there was a problem.