• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
This little guy really blends in! The Sargassum Fish.

sargassum_fish.jpg

Last edited:

amylouky

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2005
Louisville, KY
kurt said:
We got no June Grass this year which is the stuff that's more like spinach.

Wow.. so does this mean I can swim in the Gulf when I come down without coming out looking like Swamp Thing?
That would be wonderful! Sargassum I don't mind at all.. but that clingy stuff.. blech.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
I'm a beachcomber and picking up garbage along the way is satisfying and sometimes rewarding. After one storm many years ago, a friend pulled a piece of plastic out of a pile of seaweed and it was a ziploc with about $20,000 worth of Colombian pesos in it. :shock:

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
FoX said:
I'm a beachcomber and picking up garbage along the way is satisfying and sometimes rewarding. After one storm many years ago, a friend pulled a piece of plastic out of a pile of seaweed and it was a ziploc with about $20,000 worth of Colombian pesos in it. :shock:

That's amazing Fox! So what happened then? :blink:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
sargassum weed is good to eat and is really good for you - the balls themselves are the best as a salad garnish - wash 10 or so 'air bb's' per salad serving in fresh water but watch out for the ones with barnacles or calcite netting on them as those can be yechhy, crunchy and oystery at best. also watch out for little crabs on the plants you harvest and leave them behind. best is just to take the balls and leave the rest. and dont eat tons of it since they are from south of the border and there is no mercury pollution control down there

i bet i know what the money in the ziplock bag was for.

good to be home but lots of work to catch up on.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
marinebiology451 said:
sargassum weed is good to eat and is really good for you - the balls themselves are the best as a salad garnish - wash 10 or so 'air bb's' per salad serving in fresh water but watch out for the ones with barnacles or calcite netting on them as those can be yechhy, crunchy and oystery at best. also watch out for little crabs on the plants you harvest and leave them behind. best is just to take the balls and leave the rest. and dont eat tons of it since they are from south of the border and there is no mercury pollution control down there

i bet i know what the money in the ziplock bag was for.

good to be home but lots of work to catch up on.

That's great info - I will be trying some tomorrow!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
The yecchy green stuff is probably Ulva, or sea lettuce. Just nasty. Makes a lot of oxygen though, in fact the green algaes produce about 90 something percent of the world's available oxygen along with the rainforests, if I remember my biology200's correctly. Not edible, unless, like a ghost crab, you have no real sense of smell or proper taste buds.