• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I attended the last TDC meeting and was of the opinion it was very well run and organized. Two things popped into my mind as I sat there observing. One was how many of these board members live on or near the beach and actually go to it and second, why the decline of the SWFD bid for lifeguards? I understand the need for maintaining costs as low as possible but I do not want to see something similar happen here that happened to one area who employed a private lifeguard company. A guard was chastised and fired because he left his "area" to assist a distressed swimmer. We don't need that type of response in South Walton.

I think it will get approved. I was impressed with the chances for the public to speak and give input. I am pretty sure the board is trying to do their job by being careful with every dollar and not just seen as a rubber stamp. Thanks for being there.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
So those of us who live here and have to put up with the craziness can have no say in how the money is spent. Is that what your saying?

What craziness? A tv show about South Walton? Oh the horror. Just kidding. Maybe it could bve a good thing. I wish all the people who live here and want to close the borders had the guts to just say so instead of making up straw man arguments about marketing money spending. If you want traffic and parking improvements don't you think you should be talking to Walton County commissioners and public works instead of complaining about marketing by the TDC? Most people here rely on tourists coming and spending. Mind telling us how you make your living?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
People who live and work in South Walton are extremely knowledgeable in what is happening to our paradise. Without their input local government (especially the TDC) will be on a different reality creating a huge divide. Spending on anything that increases the stresses on infrastructure is a mistake unless there are two dollars spent on infrastructure for every one dollar spent on advertising. It is very simple in that upgrading and improving our infrastructure is way behind development. Infrastructure is everything that supports development and especially tourism such as roads, parking, beach assess, beach, water quality, air quality and safety. Everyone agrees on this. The TDC will not be able to singly handidly solve these problems as it will take the community working together. Many of us are worried about spending even when the deal is good (50% off as stated by Dawn). Now if we all felt that there was a formula for improving our infrastructure as a priority over marketing and advertising I think that would be a start for this community to eat together, work together and enjoy our paradise together safely.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Very nice post, mputnal3 and also very accurate. I don't want the borders of South Walton closed but I do want to see more preparation and accomodation for our visitors before we spend more money on what I consider unnecessary advertising. The money can be spent in many more productive ways.

1amos1

Beach Comber
Dec 26, 2011
I am a bed tax collected as is everyone whole legally rents out property whether it be resort, motel or vacation homes. The TDC is the bed tax spender.

I also agree that the money the TDC spends should be largely focused on improving the infrastructure and providing an environment that makes the experience for visitors as hassle free as possible. Bringing more people may bring more money but if they are not properly accommodated neither the guests nor the residents will enjoy an over crowded paradise. There is a line in the Eagles song, "The Last Resort" that could easily describe South Walton in a few years if we don't act with care, "Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye"!

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Emeril_s_Florida.jpg

South Walton will soon air as the second feature in a new television series hosted by celebrity chef, Emeril Lagasse. Emeril, who now resides in Northwest Florida with his family, will showcase different locations throughout the Sunshine State in the "Emeril's Florida" series airing on the Food Network's Cooking Channel. “The show is about what this great state offers,” Lagasse said. “So it’s not just about cooking, it’s not just restaurants, although that’s a nice chunk of it. But it’s about the beaches, it’s about fishing, it’s about farming, it’s about the agriculture.” During his time in South Walton, Emeril visited Mac Farms located in Santa Rosa Beach to view the locally grown and distributed herbs and vegetables.

Local restaurants featured in the episode include Fish Out of Water and Bud & Alley’s. Emeril also embarked on a charter fishing trip from the Baytowne Marina at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort and cooked up dinner right on the docks. During his time in South Walton Emeril also visited Stinky’s Fish Camp which will be showcased in a separate episode along with a segment featuring Florida Governor, Rick Scott.

“When people think about Florida, of course, they think about sunshine and how beautiful it is. They don’t really know the variety, the extent of what is really here. There’s so much here it’s incredible,” Lagasse said.

The South Walton episode will air on Sunday, January 13, 2013, at 10:30 a.m. and rerun on Monday, January 14, 2013, at 9:30 a.m. and Thursday, January 17, 2013, at 11:30 a.m.

2489pre_dba9f9f21854f6c.jpg

Beachberbs

Beach Lover
May 24, 2008
Do we get The Cooking Channel with Mediacom? We get the food network but they are not showing the Emeril show Sunday at 10:30.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Do we get The Cooking Channel with Mediacom? We get the food network but they are not showing the Emeril show Sunday at 10:30.

The Cooking Channel is on Cox Cable (not Mediacom). I believe Cox Cable only comes as far east as San Destin in SoWal. Therefore many of the locales where Emeril's Florida was filmed will not have access to the programming. :sosad: