• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Here's an amazing and pretty easy bread pudding recipe. It is a perfect dessert for a cool evening (or a decadent breakfast for a cool morning on the porch, especially if it's heated up a bit in the microwave or a snack before a nap in the afternoon). I always double the recipe.

BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING

Serves 4 ? 6

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1 ? cups milk
1 ? cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
? cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 small soft bread rolls, cut into thin slices (I like using the soft whole wheat slices of bread from the supermarket -- I take the crusts off)
? cup golden raisins or sultanas, soaked in warm water and drained
2 tablespoon apricot jam (heated) ? I usually skip this
2 tablespoon confectioners sugar ? I usually skip this

Preheat oven to 325 and generously butter a deep, 2 ? quart, oval casserole dish.

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the milk, cream, and vanilla and slowly bring to a boil over low heat. Just as it is about to reach boiling point, remove from the heat.

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and granulated sugar until the mixture is pale yellow. Then slowly pour in the milk and cream mixture, stirring continuously.

Butter the bread slices with one-quarter of the butter and arrange them on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with raisins, then pour the milk and egg mixture through a strainer over the bread. (I never bother with the strainer.)Do not sorry if the bread floats to the top. Dot with the remaining butter and cover with parchment paper (I skip the parchment paper).

Place the disk in a deep roasting pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the casserole dish. Bake at 35 ? 45 minutes, or until firmly set around the sides but still wobbly in the center.

Remove from the oven and let cool for a short while. Then using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top with a thin coating of heated apricot jam. Sift the confectioners sugar over the top and serve warm. (It's so good that I never bother with the apricot jam or confectioner sugar -- I like keeping things -- and tastes -- simple)

From A Glorious Harvest, by Henrietta Green

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for bring this back, Paula! I had missed some of the slow cooker recipes. I bought one like 6 years ago and never USED it! I'll go fetch it and try some of these....wouldn't a crock pot be ideal for someone like me that HATES to cook?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Sueshore:

I love the crockpot (making pasta sauce and meatballs in it for dinner tomorrow night). Crockpot also makes excellent minestrone because it cooks the beans and vegetables in broth slowly all day. My husband and I both work, so the crockpot comes in handy about once a week since we sometimes need a quick dinner and don't want to order out (have to pay for our little slice of heaven in SoWal you know!). And it's also useful when at the cottage in SoWal because I don't want to cook much when we're there. So, I'm always on the look-out for meals/desserts that can be made in the crockpot or in advance.

I have a nice Mexican Lasagna (nachos, salsa, meat, beans, cheese layered) that I made last week that I'll post one of these days -- it can easily be made ahead. Kids loved it -- and so did the adults.

By the way, when I was in SoWal last weekend with friends, I figured out that Angelinas take-out was an excellent way to have a no-cook, relatively inexpensive meal because their meals are so big they can serve two people easily (e.g., especially their pasta meals). We just got two take-out meals for the 4 of us and had wine and dessert at home.

Best,
Paula

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Ocean Lover said:
Does anyone have a good breakfast casserole recipe they could recommend? Or something else special that you do for holiday mornings?

I usually make this Christmas Morning.

Breakfast Casserole

6 eggs
1 cup half and half
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper
Butter to grease pan
6 slices of Texas Toast (thick cut, crusty white bread)
1 pound spicy pork sausage, cooked and drained of fat
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese

In a small bowl, beat the eggs until they loosen up. Add the half and half, and green onions. Mix well, highly season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Butter a 12 by 10-inch baking pan. Line the pan with the bread, cutting and rearranging, if needed. Sprinkle the bread with the cooked sausage and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the entire pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook covered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the egg mixture is set

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Sounds good KD! My sister sent me a breakfast pizza recipe too. Let me see if I can get it here...

Easy enough...

Breakfast Pizza
1/2 lb. bulk sausage crumbled ( I use Bob Evans)
1 pkg. Pillsbury Cresent rolls
1 cup frozen loose pack hash browns....thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
Cook the sausage until brown, drain and set aside. Separate the dough into triangles, press together into a greased pizza pan or cookie sheet. Seal together and form a crust. Spoon sausage onto crust. Sprinkle on potatoes. Top with cheddar cheese. Set aside. Beat together eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour over the pizza. Sprinkle on the parm cheese and then bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Ocean Lover said:
Sounds good KD! My sister sent me a breakfast pizza recipe too. Let me see if I can get it here...

Easy enough...

Breakfast Pizza
1/2 lb. bulk sausage crumbled ( I use Bob Evans)
1 pkg. Pillsbury Cresent rolls
1 cup frozen loose pack hash browns....thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
Cook the sausage until brown, drain and set aside. Separate the dough into triangles, press together into a greased pizza pan or cookie sheet. Seal together and form a crust. Spoon sausage onto crust. Sprinkle on potatoes. Top with cheddar cheese. Set aside. Beat together eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour over the pizza. Sprinkle on the parm cheese and then bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.

That Sounds Yummy too, and easy!! Thanks Alot.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Is there a cardiologist on the board? Y'all are killing me with these delicious sounding recipes!!!

Low-Fat Overnight Breakfast Casserole

I developed this recipe from a ?high-fat? one. This is great for Thanksgiving morning when you want to serve something special, but don?t want a lot of calories.

7 slices bread
1 tablespoon margarine
1 package Canadian bacon, chopped
6 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
6 ?Egg Beaters?
1 ? cups low-fat milk
1 teaspoon salt
? teaspoon black pepper

Cut crusts off bread, and place on bottom of 9 X 13-inch casserole dish greased with margarine. Sprinkle bacon and cheese on top of bread. Combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, and pour on top. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 8 at 175 calories per serving and 3 grams of fat.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Ocean Lover said:
Does anyone have a good breakfast casserole recipe they could recommend? Or something else special that you do for holiday mornings?

I make homemeade caramel rolls. Use your favorite sweet roll dough recipe. After it rises the first time, roll it out and spread with butter, sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Roll up and cut into slices. This is the best part... in your baking pan (13x9) pour 1 cup heavy whipping cream and about 1/2c brown sugar. Mix well and place sliced rolls in pan. You can also add pecans to this mixture as well. Bake according to yoru recipe directions. These are so GOOD!

Oops! Forgot to remind you to let that if it is yeast rolls, let the dough rise a second time before baking.

Last edited: