• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've never been to him, but his rep does proceed him as the go to for drugs doc. one of my girlfriends ended up rehab after going to him for years for the right "pills". other girlfriends would recommend him as the doc to go to for certain prescriptions. for me, it means he's not the kind of doc I could trust with my health.

however, he's been around for a long time and has a lot of local patients who really know him and trust him to care for their health. I am sorry to hear he has let all of them down. or so it seems.

the extent of these charges is just shocking. I am very sad to hear about it.

Last edited:

dwnelsonjr

Beach Crab
Mar 18, 2008
DeFuniak Springs, FL
Freeport Doctor Indicted

WJHG Channel 7 reports on their website, a Federal Grand Jury has returned an indictment charging a Freeport physician, 52-year-old Dr. Robert L. Ignasiak, Jr., with health care fraud and unlawfully dispensing controlled substances. He was arrested Tuesday morning in Freeport by federal, state, and local agents on a federal warrant charging him with 54 indictment based charges.

Charges against Ignasiak by the Federal Grand Jury in Pensacola include: fourteen counts of health care fraud; two counts of dispensing controlled substances; and thirty-eight counts of unlawfully dispensing controlled substances including oxycodone, morphine; and Hydrocodone.

According to the report, the indictment alleges that Ignasiak, who owned and operated Freeport Medical Clinic, prescribed controlled substances to patients without determining a sufficient medical necessity for the prescription of these substances and in quantities and dosages that would cause patients to abuse and misuse the substances.

The indictment charges that Ignasiak prescribed controlled substances to patients knowing the patients were addicted to the substances, misusing the substances, or were "doctor shopping" and were requesting additional quantities of controlled substances for their drug habits. The indictment also charges that the use of controlled substances dispensed by Ignasiak resulted in the death of two patients.

The charges carry jail terms of 20 years imprisonment, a possible life sentence, and a fine of $1 million per count. The indictment also seeks the forfeiture of Ignasiak's property, including more than $1 million.

- As reported by WZEP AM 1460

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
There are no winners here. Sending this man to prison does not help those that suffer with addiction and does not bring back lost love ones. Sending him to prison for life does however take a loving father away from his children. God please be with the Ignasiak family as they go through this horrible situation. God please be with everyone involved in this.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
There are no winners here. Sending this man to prison does not help those that suffer with addiction and does not bring back lost love ones. Sending him to prison for life does however take a loving father away from his children. God please be with the Ignasiak family as they go through this horrible situation. God please be with everyone involved in this.

romeo - I know. it all sounds awful. the consequences are very hard on all who love him. this situation is sad.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Sending him to prison may not help those already addicted or those who have been lost, but it DOES keep him from doling out more drugs and killing more people!

Obviously it is a sad situation for his family, but IMO once you are known outside the state as a drug source, contribute to deaths, and are indicted on 43 counts, your father's day celebration issues are pretty low on my sympathy list!

This wasn't a one time mistake that has ruined his life, it's years of behavior catching up with him.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Sending him to prison may not help those already addicted or those who have been lost, but it DOES keep him from doling out more drugs and killing more people!

Obviously it is a sad situation for his family, but IMO once you are known outside the state as a drug source, contribute to deaths, and are indicted on 43 counts, your father's day celebration issues are pretty low on my sympathy list!

This wasn't a one time mistake that has ruined his life, it's years of behavior catching up with him.

I agree. Moreover, it will probably make others stop and think before trying to do same thing.

Jychf

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2008
SRB
I agree that there should be some consequences here, it wasn't a one time mistake. That being said, I am a chronic pain sufferer and have been for years. I take pain medication on a regular basis but by no means abuse it or take it for the "high". It's gotten to the point now that when I go to my doc for refills, it's more like an interrogation than a consultation....like I'm a criminal for taking the meds...