• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

KBB

Beach Lover
Nov 9, 2005
Does anybody rent Golf Carts around Seagrove area? I have a renter who needs help getting around 10/4 - 10/8. If anyone knows of a company or individual who would be interested in renting out a golf cart to be used for these 4 days, please let me know.

Thanks

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Seeing how motorized vehicles are illegal along the bike path and I doubt a cart is street legal, just curious how a golf cart would help them get around?

I've seen carts tear up the north side of 30-A so as not to break the bike path law but I doubt that's within the spirit of the law.

This isn't at all directed at you and I'm sure your renters have mobility needs, but man those golf carts really touch a nerve with me. Primarily because we need less vehicles sucking energy from the world and more people sucking wind. Just walk, peddle or drive a car if it's really that far. Golf carts are over the top IMHO.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Seeing how motorized vehicles are illegal along the bike path and I doubt a cart is street legal, just curious how a golf cart would help them get around?

I've seen carts tear up the north side of 30-A so as not to break the bike path law but I doubt that's within the spirit of the law.

This isn't at all directed at you and I'm sure your renters have mobility needs, but man those golf carts really touch a nerve with me. Primarily because we need less vehicles sucking energy from the world and more people sucking wind. Just walk, peddle or drive a car if it's really that far. Golf carts are over the top IMHO.
As you say, it is also illegal to operate these vehicles on the right of way.

Back to the question, there is no rental company in the area, because golf carts are illegal to operate on the road, right of way, and bike path. However, when a golf cart is properly fitted with signal lights, headlights, taillights, etc, and is properly licensed, it becomes a legal, "low speed vehicle," and may legally operate on roads with max speed of 35 mph, such as some parts of 30A. You may have seen some of the funny looking low speed vehicles around WaterColor.

I know of no one in the area who rents these, nor anyone in PCB or Destin who rents and delivers these, but maybe there is such a place.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
However, when a golf cart is properly fitted with signal lights, headlights, taillights, etc, and is properly licensed, it becomes a legal, "low speed vehicle," and may legally operate on roads with max speed of 35 mph, such as some parts of 30A. You may have seen some of the funny looking low speed vehicles around WaterColor.

This doesn't seem to be correct. According to this thread and Walton County Sheriff's Office traffic division Sgt. Joe Preston, golf carts cannot be licensed period. Only low speed vehicles can be operated on streets unless there is a parade which allows the use of golf carts.

Let's keep the golf carts on the golf course. Are we really that lazy?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
This doesn't seem to be correct. According to this thread and Walton County Sheriff's Office traffic division Sgt. Joe Preston, golf carts cannot be licensed period. Only low speed vehicles can be operated on streets unless there is a parade which allows the use of golf carts.

Let's keep the golf carts on the golf course. Are we really that lazy?
We don't disagree. Once the golf cart is properly equipped, it is no longer a golf cart. It becomes a "low speed vehicle."

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
We don't disagree. Once the golf cart is properly equipped, it is no longer a golf cart. It becomes a "low speed vehicle."

Hmmm, may be but I don't read the Sargent's statement to mean a golf cart can become a low speed vehicle, ever. I'm thinking he means certain landscape and maintenance vehicles can be outfitted and licensed not transformed golf carts. I don't think it's a matter of semantics as both vehicles under discussion are technically low speed vehicles, but rather the term "low-speed-vehicle" refers to a specific type maintenance vehicle.

Do you know of a specific instance in which a golf cart has been transformed and properly licensed?

Last edited:

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
What about those 4 wheel scooters that they rent in P.C.? You can find them along the strip at numerous places. They kind of look like a mini VW but with open sides.

Last edited:

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Rocco,

OOPS. Don't poke the bear. :nono1:

I believe someone in Panama City Beach rents the Gem Electric Cars.

Hope all is well. It was good talking to you via the auction.

RBP

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Hmmm, may be but I don't read the Sargent's statement to mean a golf cart can become a low speed vehicle, ever. I'm thinking he means certain landscape and maintenance vehicles can be outfitted and licensed not transformed golf carts. I don't think it's a matter of semantics as both vehicles under discussion are technically low speed vehicles, but rather the term "low-speed-vehicle" refers to a specific type maintenance vehicle.

Do you know of a specific instance in which a golf cart has been transformed and properly licensed?
I may be incorrect regarding the license, but I am told that a golf cart can become a "low speed vehicle" when it is equipped with the required signal lights, headlights, taillights, mirrors, etc.

The Walton Sun recently had an article regarding the low speed vehicles and requirements and that is where I thought that I read that they had to be licensed and registered.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I may be incorrect regarding the license, but I am told that a golf cart can become a "low speed vehicle" when it is equipped with the required signal lights, headlights, taillights, mirrors, etc.

The Walton Sun recently had an article regarding the low speed vehicles and requirements and that is where I thought that I read that they had to be licensed and registered.

SJ, I think you are correct. I know this isn't on the beach but, just last week a company started up here in downtown St. Louis. They will cart you around in a golf cart from bars to the stadiums and other local attractions for $4. We took it, it was a novelty and fun. The cart was equipped with turn signals, mirrors and a license plate. I'm sure all local laws and restrictions are different, but as long as they stayed within the "downtown" area and stayed on streets that were 35 max....they said they could go anywhere.