golf cart use

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Rather B Paddlin, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Rather B Paddlin

Rather B Paddlin Beach Lover

I am coming down for two weeks. What is the latest on golf cart use? Are the laws being enforced and fines being levied? Is it ok to use the cart on the side streets off of 30-A ? Are the public beach accesses being checked? Specifically up around Gulf Place and Goat Feathers. I know the laws. I am not trying to start a debate, just trying to get the latest information. Any help would be appreciated.

2. joho

joho Beach Fanatic

There are signs posted along 30-A regarding motorized vehicles prohibited to be driven on the pike path. Unfortunantely I see golf cart owners ignoring the rules. If a police officer witnesses someone driving a motorized vehicle on the bike path it has been known that the driver will be given a citation.

3. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I saw golfcarts aplenty at the Lakewood/Lakeplace access over July 4th weekend, no tickets no apparent worries.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Except for getting killed.

5. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Yeah...you get a 2-stroke penalty. <rimshot> :D

6. Rather B Paddlin

Let me rephrase the question. Has anyone or do you actually know of any one receiving a citation or fine? Excluding Kevin Bacon.

7. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Twice in the last 2 weeks I have seen golf carts on the side of the road with the occupants having a conversation with a deputy. I do not know the outcome of either case. One of these was in front of Goatfeathers, the other in front of The Retreat in BMB.

A friend of mine got stopped in Dune Allen on Allen Loop road and was told they would owe a fine. The friend told the officer that she lived very close and could she please drive the golf cart home. The officer said she'd have to get it towed home. He eventually relented and followed her home. Her golf cart is not certified for road use.

8. Rather B Paddlin

SGB,

Thanks, thats what I was wondering about. Appreciate your help.

RBP

9. Unplugged

Unplugged Beach Fanatic

We own in the development near Goatfeathers where a majority of the golf carts originate. We know of several steep fines issued for illegal use in fact, they are really cracking down. Also, there have been many 'close calls' on that stretch of 30-A. We advise our guests that golf carts are not compatible with 30-A and it's much safer for them to drive to one of the 2 the public beach accesses where there's plenty of parking. It's not worth the risk IMO.

Also see THIS THREAD for more info.

10. joho

joho Beach Fanatic

It's a simple solution.................."Obey the signs".:dunno:

11. John R

John R needs to get out more

agreed. rbp, you state you know the laws. are you looking for justification to break them anyway? will you use kevin bacon's name with the sheriff? please don't use your cart on the path. seems pretty simple to me.

12. Rather B Paddlin

John R.,

Chill. Read the other thread to see my position. I have no problem obeying the law if it is enforced. My house is south of 30-A, I have no intention of going on the bike path or 30-A. For the last year, I have watched owners and renters from the development north of 30-A drive down the bike path (east and west) and Gulfview Heights Drive with reckless abandon.

If the law is not enforced, I will use my cart. Until very recently, it was not enforced. If the law is enforced, I will be selling my golf cart.......

Who is going to tell the new Draper Lake Development that they are building a Golf Cart Parking area that is not accessible by their golf carts ??? That will be an interesting meeting.

13. Unplugged

Unplugged Beach Fanatic

:eek:

:shock:

:confused:

:scratch:

:nono1:

:whack:

:bang:

14. Rather B Paddlin

:welcome:

15. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Welcoming yourself? :lol:

16. John R

John R needs to get out more

ok, i have my winter coat on now

this position from the other thread?

or this position, from this thread?

that's comforting.

hopefully that would enforce your position not to use your cart on a public right of way

i'm losing track of your position... but i'll try to summarize: yes, it's the law, yes you know how dangerous it can be, and yes you will use your cart potentially adding to the dangerous environment.

i agree, it's not like local developers aren't aware of the law. it should be quite an interesting meeting, too bad non owners won't be around to hear it.

my AC is crankin' ;-)

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

RBP, remember that you set an example. If others know you are selling your cart because you can legally ride only in your neighborhood, they may follow your example. On the other hand, if people see you riding it in the road or down the right of way, or bike path, they may also follow your guidance. Start with yourself and show people the way. ;-)

18. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

on the east end of 30-a there has been a man that drives a topless golf cart on the bikepath!!! He had kids all over it and I even witnessed him pulling out on 30-a and stopping traffic with his kids on the cart. Hellllllo 30-A is a real road.....I later saw the same goof ball cruising in front of Rosemary with loads of groceries...did he go to Publix???:floor: I wanted to stop and explain the rules but figured I would get my head chopped off...

19. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

Can scooters be used on the bike path or the road?. Electric ones that only seat one person? Something like this? I know it looks like a toilet seat, but it's actually a cooler built in.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  20. joho

joho Beach Fanatic

Cool idea.................but once again any motorized vehicle driven "on" 30-A or any county/state road must have a registered license plate and lights. Any motorized vehicle driven "on" the bike path is "prohibited."