Golf School?

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by iqueequeg, Apr 19, 2007.

1. iqueequeg

iqueequeg Beach Lover

Does anyone know of a Golf School in the area? Say within 1/2 an hour of 30a?

2. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Baypoint and Sandestin both have golf academies. I think the one at Baypoint is probably rated a little higher. But be prepared, it's pretty expensive.

3. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

Santa Rosa Beach Golf Club has golf lessons. I don't think you have to be a member.

4. iqueequeg

iqueequeg Beach Lover

Just a follow-up. My buddy and I did a 3 day golf school with Tony Ruggerio at Sandestin (you golf at both the Baytown and Raven courses at Sandestin). Tony was fantastic, as were the facilities, all in all a great experience. The price was very reasonable. Highly recommended. Thanks JB!

5. seacrestkristi

seacrestkristi Beach Fanatic

What's reasonable please?

6. iqueequeg

iqueequeg Beach Lover

$100/hour for an individual, for the two of us it was $150/hour. Two hours of range and green instruction, then two hours of on course instruction (9 holes). We finished the 9 holes on our own. Considering a round at Sandestin is almost $150 for 18 holes, we were getting the 4 hours of instruction for $150 (each). Plus, Tony was a top notch instructor (and I've had others I wouldn't say that about).

Tony has a website if you're interested:

http://www.dewsweepersgolfshow.com/

7. KY oyster eater

KY oyster eater Beach Lover

Who needs school to hit a small white dimpled pebble with an assundry of different weighted pole like objects, anyways? On a more serious note.....We'll be down from Louisville in a couple of weeks and we are staying at the Villas of Sunset Beach. Is there an actual Sunset Beach or is that just a pretty name for the place? Is it actually just Panama City Beach? And where might the best and most reasonable golf courses located in that general area? Is Dustys Oyster Bar still in that area? The perfect day would be to play the new Arnold Palmer course, (or is it Jack Nicklaus) and then head over and eat about 4 or 5 dozen succulent mollusks with a few ice cold brewskies. Thanks for any and all answers! B.K.

8. egrp

egrp Beach Lover

dustys is still there...and it has good oysters...atmosphere little ruff ;-)

9. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Glad it worked out. I had a buddy who did a three-day with Ruggerio. He was playing to a 19 before instruction. Afterward and after a few weeks of drills on his own, he was playing to a 12.

I could use a little help myself. But alas, golf is an afterthought these days.

10. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

So JB, how was the vacation? Or are you still there?

11. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Nice. Got back last Saturday. Not as relaxing as I would like (insert comment about my two-year-old son here). Decent weather, enough time on the beach to make it worthwhile and some good food. Put away about three cases of Coors Light, so I felt pretty good all week, until......

The bad: Got a nasty case of tonsilitis on Friday and felt so horrible, I couldn't get out of the bed all day (and it was arguably the prettiest day of our trip). Ended up at some little doc-in-the-box in Seagrove where I got a shot and a prescription for Augmentin. The drive home the following day was horrific. I am just now starting to feel better.

We are hoping to go back in August, just the two of us, and maybe try for a long weekend at the Villas (provided they are still open).

12. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

I guess I missed you getting back. So, where all did you eat? 3 cases of Coors Light caught my attention, YUMMY!!!!!

So sorry you got sick. I have had tonsilitis many, many times in my life. It comes on quick and puts you down. I can't imagine having to drive home with that mess. I am glad you are feeling better now.

Did you happen to go by the Villa's while you were there? They had told us last year that they would not be open in July for our annual trip. I wonder if that is still true.

Anyway, glad you had a good time despite getting sick!!!

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  13. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

The food: The first night, we we so tired, I just drove down to Shades and got takeout. In a word, it sucked. I'll just leave it there. Took Sam for his first trip to the Red Bar. Big fun and got to hear Dread do a set, so it was a big night. Had lunch at the Taco Bar at Seaside one day. Very good, but as one would expect, very overpriced. Had a great meal at OFFH - sauteed snapper topped with a softshell crab. It rocked. Breakfast at Seacrest Cafe a couple times. Pretty decent. Other than that, cooked steaks, burgers and boiled shrimp at the condo. Just about wore out the blender making 'ritas every night.

Drove by the Villas several times and there were cars in the lot and people in the pool, so I assume they were open. I have not called to check to see when they close for good. I don't know if they are still scheduled to close next month or not. I'll probably call and check sometime over the next couple weeks. I want to stay in cottage A-1 just once in my life.

And I have decided to have my tonsils removed. Not an easy procedure for a 40-something man, but it couldn't possibly hurt any more than this last bout of tonsilitis. No more tonsiltis and hopefully, no more sleep apnea either.