• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Sea Star said:
:D Happy Anniversary phdphay! 35 years is a wonderful thing. And by the way, GO VOLS!!!
Thanks. One of my husbands best friends is a big Vols fan. We have an ongoing friendly feud. It's fun.

Speaking of stores, this will really affect our small town. We have one Publix, one Kroger, two Winn-Dixies, and a Super Wal-Mart. So now the only choices are Publix, Kroger, and Wal-Mart (where it takes a kajillion hours to shop because things one would normally buy at the grocery store like toothpaste are on the opposite side of the store from the groceries). I think that the Super Wal-Marts are what killed Winn-Dixie. The class of people in our town who used to shop at Winn-Dixie seems to haved switched to Wal-Mart when they added a grocery store year or two ago. The people in our town who shop at Publix don't shop at Winn-Dixie, and vice-versa.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
phdphay said:
What killed Winn-Dixie in our town was the opening of the food store at Wal-Mart. The people who shop at Publix here don't shop at Winn-Dixie, and vice-versa.
Super-Walmart (which aint so "super") is on track to become the largest grocery business in North America and Asia.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
BTW just so you don't think I've long my mind by posting twice with a repetitive message, it's because when I clicked the "Post Quick Reply" button, I got a "server not available" error. So I just resubmitted a shorter message.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
phdphay said:
BTW just so you don't think I've long my mind by posting twice with a repetitive message, it's because when I clicked the "Post Quick Reply" button, I got a "server not available" error. So I just resubmitted a shorter message.
We all know the truth. :wink:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
phdphay said:

What? :dunno:

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
We all know the truth. :wink:
I keep losing my Internet connectivity. That's why when I hit the reply button, I got the black-and-white screen of death. So I thought my message wasn't delivered. Comprendez?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
It appears that our local Winn-Dixies are not going to close - whew!

I adore Publix, and have very fond memories of Publix from my Tallahassee days (good lord, the gators are thick around here!). I've also gotten spoiled to having one on 395.

However, when I need a LOT of groceries, I head for Winn-Dixie. Prices are considerably better, and you can't beat the buy one, get one frees!