• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
My first guess (actually engineer Bdarg who knows quite a bit about the environmental stuff) says with all the rain, stormwater runoff will mess up the water.

Why is there Enterococci bacteria in the stormwater? And why is untreated stormwater going into the Gulf?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Why is there Enterococci bacteria in the stormwater? And why is untreated stormwater going into the Gulf?

Good question. Last bad water testing was the week after the huge rains and flooding west of us. There is a lot of crap in stormwater- nasty stuff. And plain old runoff from yards, farms, all land touching waterways that flow into the Gulf. The possibilities are kind of endless.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
There is no way around it as these levels mean we have some issues with sewage. Rains and flooding are bringing the problem to the Gulf, lakes and bay. This bacteria comes from our digestive system and into our septic systems and sewer systems. These tests are warning signs that are giving us an opportunity to discuss the issue and correct the problem with the appropriate infrastructure.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
There is not a lot we can do about the much larger populations to our west- a lot of the "bad stuff" is from their runoff from what I am hearing.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
There is not a lot we can do about the much larger populations to our west- a lot of the "bad stuff" is from their runoff from what I am hearing.

Maybe, but the water test results from Okaloosa County from one day before ours posted above do not seem to indicate this.
http://esetappsdoh.doh.state.fl.us/irm00beachwater/beachresults.aspx?county=Okaloosa

There are a lot of septic tanks left in SoWal. I'm with meowracer, they ought to go.
And I would like to see inspection reports and ground water sampling around lift stations and low pressure sewer lines.

Until we know for sure, I don't think it's smart to just shrug and blame it on somewhere else.
Next thing you know, when we get a strong current alongshore out of the east, folks to the west of us will be pointing their fingers this direction. We all need to take responsibility for our own contributions. I have a hard time thinking septic systems right along the Gulf are not contributing. Many of them are old. Who knows how well they are still functioning?

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Good question. Last bad water testing was the week after the huge rains and flooding west of us. There is a lot of crap in stormwater- nasty stuff. And plain old runoff from yards, farms, all land touching waterways that flow into the Gulf. The possibilities are kind of endless.

Unfortunately, it wasn't just the week after the big flooding. There were poor test results for different Walton County beaches on 6/26, 7/24, 7/31, 8/7, and again in the retest on 8/9. Blue Mountain Beach and Holly Street seem to be reporting poor results the most frequently.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am not an expert, and I know the septic systems are not good, but I can't believe there are so many that a huge body of water like the Gulf would have bad testing based just on the septics. I can see the lakes having a problem more.

But, I think every single septic system here needs to go. Most are outdated and never meant to have modern day usage- multiple showers, bathrooms, washing machines running every day, dishwashers, too many vacationers in the house, etc. I think personal property rights go out the door when they compromise the environment and public health in the community.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that most of the septic tanks are in Gulf Trace. It has also been said that they now have sewer lines available to their residences. It is costly to hook up to the sewer line and many just don't wish to do so. As I said, I have only heard this, though as I remember, it was at a BCC meeting. If it is in error, please correct it.