• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
You are correct. Being able to pay a million bucks cash for a second home is pretty elite, financially speaking.

A lot of the structures are a mishmash, some would say eclectic. But what makes the area unique is the diversity between the planned communities - Rosemary, Alys, Seaside, WaterColor, etc. These are embedded in a mishmash of old cottages, concrete bunkers, and other beach homes, townhomes, and condos that are all over the map. I find Grayton Beach, Blue Moutnain Beach, Dune Allen also charming and somewhat unique from each other.

What really makes SoWal unique is the natural landscape. Sadly it is being killed off and a chain hotel is just another nail in the coffin.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the bay and everything south of the bay had been made a national park a hundred years ago? We caould all be staying in chain hotels on the interstate or in Freeport to visit.

I agree that it would have been nice if everything south of the bay had been made into a national park or a state park but it didn't happen and development brings money to the area. The more growth, the more money. Nothing stays the same. When I first went to Destin, it really was a fishing village but it had a Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn isn't what ruined Destin.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I have to agree with those who feel that the county planning commission will most likely side with the developer of this project, against the wishes of the majority of the residents. I am not a regular at the commission meetings But in those I have attended it is rare that the commission rejects new development, regardless of how well the opposing views are expressed.

Today's NWFDN web site had one reminder of why- the $1.25 million the city of Destin paid out to an Atlanta 'business owner' who sued after the city planning commission there denied his application to put a strip club out by the airport, even though it was not a disallowed use under current zoning/planning rules. If you try to deny something that is technically permissible (or at least not explicitly banned) use at the time the land is purchased, then the new land owner can often extract a very high price for a denial that goes beyond zoning or land use plan parameters.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I wonder what the county's attorney thinks? The arguments here seem to be "a hotel doesn't belong in our quaint little community" and remarks like "we're better than the trashy people who stay in cheap motels".

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm pretty fed up with you portraying us as elitist snobs. We simply have pride in the natural beauty of our home town and feel a desire to try to keep it unspoiled for us, our grandchildren, and the visitors that love it the way it is. Your negativity is beginning to reek.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I wonder what the county's attorney thinks? The arguments here seem to be "a hotel doesn't belong in our quaint little community" and remarks like "we're better than the trashy people who stay in cheap motels".
Do you have some sort of dog in this fight or are you just someone that likes to argue on message boards? What skills/time/assets are you contributing to our community? The people that are against this proposed inappropriate development are invested in 30A, most live here and "get it", and many support community nonprofits, attend local government meetings,participate in community development/protection events, etcetera. What do you do that you think allows you to mouth off (anonymously) to those who work very hard to protect the way of life that has attracted so many visitors and full time residents?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
FYI, no one needs a permit to mouth off. Do you "get it"?

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
No, I don't actually have a "dog in this fight". But my brother is very interested in buying a condo in the area and has found a couple that he likes in Seagrove Beach. He's interested in one to put on the rental market and for personal use in the off season. I'm sorry that my opinions are so upsetting to some of you.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
If this Hampton Inn gets built, and the saturation point of 30a and the beaches continues to be overreached every year, your brother should get a good buy if he waits for a few years and people stop wanting to vacation or spend big money on property here.

Every real estate agent in town should be against his proposed Hampton Inn. It's arrival will certainly screw up the marketing materials. Dang I wish I had photoshop skills.....

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
No, I don't actually have a "dog in this fight". But my brother is very interested in buying a condo in the area and has found a couple that he likes in Seagrove Beach. He's interested in one to put on the rental market and for personal use in the off season. I'm sorry that my opinions are so upsetting to some of you.
I may not agree with you on some issues and that's ok. You are entitled to your opinion and some of these folks that have commented on your comments have a right to their opinion. It just goes to show you the diversity we have in our community. Jdarg, there are many people who mouth off "Anonymously" on this board and there are many who don't attend meetings and are active as others in this community, but I for one don't post behind a screen name but I am a taxpayer who may be a part of a larger group who may have to foot the bill for the denial or approval of this development depending on your side of the issue. So whether someone has a view that isn't popular they have within reason the opportunity to express that view. Saying that, I don't think those who oppose this are elitist, I think for the most part they like their community and think that the development won't fit. I can understand the issue, stormwater, traffic and the like but I am not sure if there is an easy fix.

Last edited:

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove

I live here in a normal house in a normal neighborhood and I moved here for everything it is not. As I mentioned before, I have been in seriosly almost every beach town in this state. There are some places that are similar in attitude..Ponte Vedra, Aventura, Naples to some extent, for every 30a you have a Destin, for every Ponte Vedra you have a Jacksonville. So is it elitist to not want chain hotels and fast food places? Yes. These are establishments that we as residents do not want, if we did we probably would have moved to pcb. What makes Sowal special is what it isnt...developed. Take that away and you have any other Florida beach town. Don't let Hampton steal our mojo.