• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Thank you. From what I understand, the Comp plan was changed to 125 rooms in 2011. Then May 2014 as requested by the attorney for the developer, David Theriaque, the language in the LDC was changed from 75 to 125. His argument for which he provided several cases was that:
"The present use of land may, by zoning ordinance, continue to be more limited than the future use contemplated by the comprehensive plan."

Theriaque also provided a draft proposed ordinance to amend the LDC making the change from 75-125 rooms.

From a Walton County Planning dept staff report on May 20, 2014:

"Correspondence and case law citations from Attorney David Theriaque addresses the legal issue of the more restrictive provision of either the Comprehensive Plan or the Land Development being the controlling document. In this case, the more restrictive provision is in the LDC and thus the change made by the BCC in the EAR Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan is still restricted by the LDC language stating a maximum of 75 rooms in the definition of Limited Lodging."

So does this mean that the more restrictive provision was in the LDC so he petitioned to have that changed to the less restrictive provision and the county complied?

Seems to me the language was there to stop the Hampton Inn before May of last year. Did the county have to change the LDC to conform with the comp plan or could they have changed the comp plan to keep the more restrictive provisions?

Good questions. I tend to agree that the more restrictive provision was in the LDC so he petitioned to have that changed to the less restrictive provision and the county complied. It certainly looks that way.
If the Comp Plan was changed in the 2011 EAR I would really like to know why. I can see that a 125 room hotel would someday maybe be appropriate up on Hwy 98. If the idea was to allow something like that but keep the option of restricting a project somewhere else to 75 rooms, then it appears (and I am not a planner, understand) that additional clarifying language should have been added to the LDC laying out further necessary conditions to obtain the maximum. If that's what they had in mind the way they did it left the door open for Theriaque. Could they have done that instead of just changing the LDC by accepting Theriaque's draft ordinance? I don't know.
Could they have changed the Comp Plan back to 75 rooms? Probably not last May - Comp Plan changes usually have to wait for the EAR unless it's something like a small scale amendment.
I think this quote: "The present use of land may, by zoning ordinance, continue to be more limited than the future use contemplated by the comprehensive plan."
maybe refers to being able to do something like I suggested above - keep the max 125 in the Comp Plan but put restrictions in the LDC. That would be the 'zoning ordinance' he refers to although we don't call it that here.
Planning is really complicated. It often seems that neither the planners nor the commissioners always understand the future results of actions they take.
I don't know if the status quo prior to May would have stopped the Hampton Inn. I think it's a legal question for a land use attorney. I want to say the county should have had their own to consult before rolling over to Theriaque, maybe they did, but I doubt it.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
When discussing local issues I hear a lot of people challenge others (usually those who don't share an opinion) on how long they've lived here.

Reminds me of children who try to end an argument with "I'm older".

Growing up where I did usually it was decided on who could kick whose arse but I digress. Haha

Just my opinion but I would encourage anyone who ever hopes to stand a chance of changing anyone else's mind to have the better argument.

annie watson

Banned
Oct 1, 2013
Since 1983. My family has owned a home in Seagrove since 1959. I don't quite fit your formula that when you tire of a place, you just move on, and watch it ruin.

I'll bet it was nice in 1959. My husband and I bought a lot in Blue Mountain Beach in 1982 with plans to build a house but we never did. A lot has changed since then and IMO not for the better.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I was wondering the same thing. Why does someone who no longer lives here or care keep posting and arguing about our local issues on a message board? I guess it's a new form of entertainment?
Seems I asked the same thing about another issue and was told not to be rude. Seems like Ann said she still lives in Walton County which does give her a say.

Since 1983. My family has owned a home in Seagrove since 1959. I don't quite fit your formula that when you tire of a place, you just move on, and watch it ruin.
LOL. My Daddy started wanting to buy property on 30A in the early 60s. Every time we went to PCB (every summer for a couple of weeks), he'd drive us over to 30A to show Mom and me the beauty of the area and the potential for the future. He planned to buy many acres. Mom and I said, "We don't want to have a house in the boondocks." What a gigantic mistake! He should have bought the property and not try to please his non-forward-thinking family.

annie watson

Banned
Oct 1, 2013
I've never said that I'm a proponent of the hotel that's being proposed, and yet some of you act like I and a couple of others have some agenda to see that it gets built. One person rudely informed me that my questions and opinions were not welcome because I stated that I no longer live in Seagrove Beach and that person refuses to answer a simple yes or no question as to whether or not she lives on 30a. If you only want people who voice strong objections to this one project to comment, I suggest that you exhort the administrators to ban everyone who might possibly disagree with you. Whether or not this goes through will have absolutely nothing to do with what I think.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
You basically could care less. We get it. It's not in your back yard. We get it.

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
So, when you drive to work everyday, a ninety unit hotel, with all the traffic it will generate, won't be a problem for you. Correct?

I doubt it. I go to work very early. And I don't expect the hundreds of new condo units that are sure to be built along 30a will affect my driving to work either.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
You could care less. We get it. It's not in your back yard. We get it.

dslbcl2008

Beach Crab
Jan 27, 2015
Please, everyone, stop playing "who loves/hates/is indifferent to SOWAL the most". Everyone here has their own reasons for concern and all are valid. Agree to disagree and come together to fomulate a viable, long-term plan.

The reality is, Hampton may happen.

If this project goes forth, we as a community need to make enough intelligent noise to ensure developers act responsibly; to make sure every rational concern is brought to consideration; to set a precedent in place which will ensure each project going forth conforms to our ideals. I see many of you doing just that.

Some are dis'ing the opinions of our friends and extended family, our faithful vacationers. Please remember the reason they continue visiting us.

Thanks for listening.........................D.S. Laud - SOWALer since 2007