• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TableFiveChef

Beach Lover
Oct 24, 2006
Miramar Beach
Drill baby drill!

Yes and destroy our economy of tourism in the process. Just so you know this regarding drilling in state waters. Which means within 10 miles of the shore. Which means you get to see them. Which means tar balls show up nicely on sugar white sand. Which means people will stop coming to our precious coastline to vacation. Which means our fragile ecosystem will be in peril. Use less instead of drill!

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Drill baby drill!

I see from your other posts that you are affiliated with Seaside Store. Either you jest or you are seriously conflicted, or just seriously misinformed.

Maybe you are thinking tourists need more oil to drive to your store? At any rate, more drilling is not the answer and won't help your customers, rather will only destroy the golden goose, our glorious beaches.

NOLA TRANSPLANT

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2007
I think I should show up to this meeting and just see how many big V-8 sports cars, convertibles, and S.U.V.'s are in the parking lot.
I mean really, this is as important to the fragile eco system as anything else. But you don't
see people giving up there status symbols for the cause now do you???
WHAT??? me give up my BMW Convertible ????? Nooooooo
Please

Oh, and also lets not forget a parking lot for all those golf carts............

Last edited:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Yes and destroy our economy of tourism in the process. Just so you know this regarding drilling in state waters. Which means within 10 miles of the shore. Which means you get to see them. Which means tar balls show up nicely on sugar white sand. Which means people will stop coming to our precious coastline to vacation. Which means our fragile ecosystem will be in peril. Use less instead of drill!

I'm interested in using less, insteead of drilling too. Maybe using less can start in 30A's backyard. A start might be encouragment of electric vehicles usage, both those falling under Florida statute as LSV', as well as highway worthy electric vehicles. :D

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I think I should show up to this meeting and just see how many big V-8 sports cars, convertibles, and S.U.V.'s are in the parking lot.
I mean really, this is as important to the fragile eco system as anything else. But you don't
Please

Can't have LSV's on 30A according to many. :roll: It's a major thoroughfare... For practical purposes, in most rezoning applications, proximity to major thoroughfares lightens up the standards for aesthetic appeal (i.e ant sized oil rigs 10 miles offshore)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Please

Hopefully the meeting attendees will bring better attitudes than yours to this important gathering. I am sure many SUV drivers are like me- bought them when there was little discussion and education about energy conservation, and an huge emphasis on having lots of room to safely haul around kids, their friends, the dogs, and the gear. I still have the kids, the friends, the dogs, the gear, and a car that is almost paid off. When it is time to buy the next car, there are better choices available than when we car shopped five years ago. As far as status symbols go, I wouldn't know about those, since we are not status symbol people.

We need to work together to protect our beach, and getting all snarky about the cars driven by the people attending this meeting is not helpful. Local businesses should be thankful for every single local and visitor who attend this meeting and the Hands Across the Sand event, no matter what car they drive, to learn how too protect our tourism economy by protecting our beach- and in turn making sure you and other local restaurants and businesses can stay in business.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've thought about this electric vehicle thing a bit, and since most of that electric power comes from coal, which supposedly is much worse on our environment than oil, I think the real answer is renewable energy sources, more efficient engine technology, less need for power (horsepower). There is no reason why a Honda Accord needs to have more than 200 hp. Convert that horsepower into more efficiency and bam, we make a dent in our energy consumption. The first Honda Accord(1979) sedan had 72 hp, and sold well because of its moderate size and fuel economy. The 2010 entry level Accord has 268 hp. By reducing that down to 180, we could improve the efficiency greatly, with no harm to the consumer, and great benefit to the environment. Each year, they add more horsepower and keep the miles per gallon pretty close to the same as the smaller hp engine. Instead, they should work on keeping the horsepower the same, and increasing the efficiency.

Some people may require more horsepower, such as a person who hauls a big work trailer, but they don't necessarily need all of the horsepower all of the time, so money spent on improving new technology to switch the V8 to a V4 on the fly, could also conserve.

Just my quick spill. (Did I say spill? as in oil spill?)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think NOLA brings up a good point in that each of our choices (like the MPG of our vehicles and how many we own and the settings of our thermostats and how many bottles of water we drink) are a big part of what is driving the push for drilling here.

But just become someone has an SUV doesn't mean they are doing more damage to the environment or consuming more oil (it's in freaking everything) than someone who thinks they are "green" because they drive a smaller vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.