• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Photo by Sharon Hazelton at Old Florida Beach in Santa Rosa Beach.

handssharonhazelton.jpg

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
So great to see Commissioner Comander participating! :clap:

Did any other Walton County commissioners attend?

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Seeing all of these pictures and videos from around the state brought me to tears. What a joy to have been part of this with my girls experiencing our first protest! :clap:

I only took a couple...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
View attachment 16354Thanks to all who joined hands all across Florida!

I am going to protest if we don't do this every year - and in February! Yesterday was very special because it felt like we had the entire community out on the beach, together, saying "hi" and enjoying one of the most beautiful days of winter. yes, we had a message to send. we also had a community to celebrate. how simple - we just had to show up and enjoy the day.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hands Across The Sand in Destin, Florida behind the Whale's Tale.
- video by Chris Clauson

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r54kRnZ1b2k"]YouTube- Hands Across The Sand in Destin, Florida[/ame]

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree. I was so happy to have my son and grandchildren join me for the event...the grandkids' first protest. It felt like the 60s again for me--and I loved it!

We have such a fantastic community--the feeling of pride makes me cry and laugh at the same time.

When it comes to our beaches--we are all Floridians!

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
Texas oil riggers offer black beaches with radioactive material to swim in:
"Oil drilling platforms are visible off in the distance and there is oil and gas exploration at the park. The visitor's center warns about the tar that washes up onto the beach from all of the oil production in the area and about the dangers of medical and chemical debris that ends up on shore as a result of the prevailing currents. While there's a mile or two of natural beach, the vast majority of the shoreline is open to four wheel drive vehicles. In fact, the beaches are designated Texas public highways."www.hubis.com/blog(scroll all the way down-next to last pic)
(Last paragraph before conclusion on below link minimizes danger of radioactive material-??????)
The bull is high and it stinks, the regulations sketchy and vague, and someone got paid to compromise this land. This is the visible result, I don't have statistics on the radioactive material that people swam in, but I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
Padre Island National Seashore - The White Paper (U.S. National Park Service)
View attachment 16341

Thanks for reminding me why I don't go to the beach in my home state!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
'Hands Across the Sand' opposes drilling in Florida - CNN iReport
About 250 opponents of offshore oil drilling gathered on Clearwater Beach to mount the biggest protest in Florida history by joining hands along the coastline Saturday. The statewide "Hands Across the Sand" demonstration opposes proposals to permit oil and gas exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. Even the seagulls got into the act joining together aswell.