• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
I find it humorous how so many here "want to save south walton...save 30A" :rotfl:

How many who advocate this are willing to give their property to the county or state for conservation?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I'm not a troll. I do not go on facebook or twitter.

It appears it is opposing opinion that you don't tolerate.

Continuing to insist forum members buy the property and donate it makes you a troll.

Not long ago, our good SoWal neighbors were beach lovers, now too often they are just interested in what they can get out of it.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Continuing to insist forum members buy the property and donate it makes you a troll.

Not long ago, our good SoWal neighbors were beach lovers, now too often they are just interested in what they can get out of it.
One could also make the point that insisting that the property owner is somehow morally obligated to donate his property to the state or county is also trolling. And it wasn't an insistent, it was a suggestion.

And I'm certain that one who would spend 9M on that property is a beach lover as well.

BTW- how long ago?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
To what end?
At what point in history would you like to go back and "preserve natural areas for future generations"?
1990? !980? 1970? 1950? Earlier?
Was it ok when Grayton Beach was developed at the beginning of the last century?
Is 40% of south walton not enough?
Is Grayton Beach State Park and others along the coast not enough?
To what end?I 'm not sure I understand this question. Are you asking why we should preserve our coastal dune lakes?

Going back? We can't go back. We need to focus on the future.

GB developed? Development in Walton County last century is nothing like development now. Apples and oranges.

40 percent enough? Not at the pace and destructive nature that development is happening now.

GBSP & others not enough? No.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
To what end?I 'm not sure I understand this question. Are you asking why we should preserve our coastal dune lakes?

Going back? We can't go back. We need to focus on the future.

GB developed? Development in Walton County last century is nothing like development now. Apples and oranges.

40 percent enough? Not at the pace and destructive nature that development is happening now.

GBSP & others not enough? No.
Good post - nice to have dialog instead of sniping. The preservation of what is left of South Walton is paramount. The planning commission and BCC is approving almost anything that comes along. They make a show, and make developers jump though hoops, but it is out of control.

Building on a coastal dune lake outfall should be rejected out of hand. And we have a coastal control line for a reason, but it always seems to get moved with money.

No one should have to buy it and donate, and current owner should be paid for it by government. Our government should do right for the people and do things like this instead of building developer-desired roads through state land and pristine habitat.

It is flabbergasting that a road thorough state forest even makes it to an actual meeting. It should have been rejected out of hand as it would have been in the past.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
Seems the prevailing wisdom here is for everyone to sell or donate their south walton property to the state or county. Turn the whole place into a sanctuary. :dunno:

Question:
Does this include the massive amount of development currently happening along Chat Holly Rd? or is 30A the only thing that matters?

Oh, what the hell...everyone south of the bay can move to Freeport. Get you one of those quality DR Horton homes at Owls Head. Where they build them cheap and stack them deep. :rotfl: