• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Mr. DD and I went to the big, huge Dallas Farmer's Market yesterday before the temperature got over 100. It was a feeding frenzy for sure! Lots of good samples and good deals. Looks like we might make it an every week thing.

Tonight, we're having Fried Okra (well, I am..he hates the stuff), Tomato-Fresh Corn-Avocado and Black Bean Salad, Eggplant Napoleons, and Fresh Peach Cobbler. Heaven, sheer heaven.

What are you having?

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
DD, what's an eggplant napoleon? I love our weekly farmer's market - being right in my neighborhood helps! Raw milk, fresh pasta, fresh veggies and we now have two meat purveyors that have arrived - lamb sausage, special bacon, on and on! YUM!
I'd love some fried okra right about now. Been a long time since I've had some.
Have Y'all ever tried sunchokes? They are so danged good!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
DD, what's an eggplant napoleon? I love our weekly farmer's market - being right in my neighborhood helps! Raw milk, fresh pasta, fresh veggies and we now have two meat purveyors that have arrived - lamb sausage, special bacon, on and on! YUM!
I'd love some fried okra right about now. Been a long time since I've had some.
Have Y'all ever tried sunchokes? They are so danged good!

Eggplant Napoleon

1 medium eggplant
3 eggs (or egg substitute)
? c. lowfat milk
1 c. flour
2 c. bread crumbs
? c. olive oil
2 c. fresh spinach, picked and washed
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
soft cheese of your choice, crumbled
tomato sauce, seasoned or flavored as desired

Mix together eggs and milk, set aside. Slice eggplant crosswise into ? in. slices. Dredge slices in flour, then dip in egg/milk mixture, then dip in bread crumbs. Over medium heat, heat olive oil in saute? pan. Place eggplant slices in pan and cook until golden brown and tender, turning eggplant once during cooking so that slices brown evenly. Drain excess oil by placing eggplant slices on a paper towel. Using the same pan, saute? tomatoes and spinach for 1-2 minutes or until limp.

Assembling Eggplant Napoleon: In a shallow baking pan, place a slice of eggplant, a spoonful of spinach/tomato mixture, and sprinkle with soft cheese. Repeat two more times to create a layered effect. Bake in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted.

To serve, pour several tablespoons of tomato sauce on each plate. Place layered Eggplant Napoleon atop tomato sauce. Garnish with fresh sprig of basil.

~~From the blog, Relish the Taste

LuLu, nope, never have tried sunchokes. I'll put them on my list. How to you fix them?

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Mr. DD and I went to the big, huge Dallas Farmer's Market yesterday before the temperature got over 100. It was a feeding frenzy for sure! Lots of good samples and good deals. Looks like we might make it an every week thing.

Tonight, we're having Fried Okra (well, I am..he hates the stuff), Tomato-Fresh Corn-Avocado and Black Bean Salad, Eggplant Napoleons, and Fresh Peach Cobbler. Heaven, sheer heaven.

What are you having?
:clap:

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
DD, I know you've posted your recipe for the tomato,corn,black bean salad before,but I can't find it. Please give it one more time.Thanks:wave:

ps I always love your food threads. I also shop farmers mkt weekly.Yesterday it was sooo hot I just had cucumber and tomatoes in balsamic vinegar

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington

Eggplant Napoleon

1 medium eggplant
3 eggs (or egg substitute)
? c. lowfat milk
1 c. flour
2 c. bread crumbs
? c. olive oil
2 c. fresh spinach, picked and washed
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
soft cheese of your choice, crumbled
tomato sauce, seasoned or flavored as desired

Mix together eggs and milk, set aside. Slice eggplant crosswise into ? in. slices. Dredge slices in flour, then dip in egg/milk mixture, then dip in bread crumbs. Over medium heat, heat olive oil in saute? pan. Place eggplant slices in pan and cook until golden brown and tender, turning eggplant once during cooking so that slices brown evenly. Drain excess oil by placing eggplant slices on a paper towel. Using the same pan, saute? tomatoes and spinach for 1-2 minutes or until limp.

Assembling Eggplant Napoleon: In a shallow baking pan, place a slice of eggplant, a spoonful of spinach/tomato mixture, and sprinkle with soft cheese. Repeat two more times to create a layered effect. Bake in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted.

To serve, pour several tablespoons of tomato sauce on each plate. Place layered Eggplant Napoleon atop tomato sauce. Garnish with fresh sprig of basil.

~~From the blog, Relish the Taste

LuLu, nope, never have tried sunchokes. I'll put them on my list. How to you fix them?

Yum!! Good recipe DD!